• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

What`s the difference between VCO pinpointing (MXT) and prizm`s pinpointing?

Bajanick

Elite Member
I was reading Whites website and it says that the prizm IV does not have VCO pinpointing, but does have a pinpoint mode.
What is the difference between it and the pinpointing on the MXT or others?
Does it have something to do with the tone changing as you get closer to the target?
Thanks.

Bajanick said:
I was reading Whites website and it says that the prizm IV does not have VCO pinpointing, but does have a pinpoint mode.
What is the difference between it and the pinpointing on the MXT or others?
Does it have something to do with the tone changing as you get closer to the target?
Thanks.

Exactly that's it. The shorter the distance to the item, the higher the pitch of the tone.

Bajanick said:
So on the prizm its just a solid/monotone when your over the target?

If I remember correctly, it's a monotone, but modulated audio. Means the narrower the target, the louder the signal. And it is a non-motion half the way only. A little motion is required in the non-motion P/P mode also. Otherwise, if the motion stops right over the target, the loudness will sink to the starting level.
They say this would help a little to center targets better.

The XLT® and DFX? are having this feature selectable. It's called ratched P/P. I do like the VCO better. (without ratchet P/P). IMHO

Vito said:
The XLT® and DFX? are having this feature selectable. It's called ratched P/P. I do like the VCO better. (without ratchet P/P). IMHO

Ratchet Pinpoint gradually shrinks the target the more sweeps you take over it. I like the VCO on and the ratchet off. That lets you learn something about the shape and size of the target along with the depth and location.

Jack

CyberSage said:
Ratchet Pinpoint gradually shrinks the target the more sweeps you take over it. I like the VCO on and the ratchet off. That lets you learn something about the shape and size of the target along with the depth and location.
Jack

@Jack: What happens if you stop sweeping right over the target?

Vito said:
@Jack: What happens if you stop sweeping right over the target?

That is your high pitch point with VCO on. Maybe sweep is the wrong word here. When I pinpoint I seek the highest pitch by moving over the target until the pitch drops, then move back to center the target. This is done in an X'ing fashion. If you have Ratchet turned on this center field starts to shrink in size as your X'ing.

Help Tony! I don't know if I am explaining this correctly. :?:

Jack

:roll: Sorry buddies,

The only thing I wanted to say was:

The pinpoint mode on the Prizm is the same as the ratchet pinpoint on the XLT/DFX is. The shorter the swings become, (by narrowing the target) less amplification is used to the audio.
And if you stop swinging right over the target, audio loudness will become the same as you started pinpointing (threshold level). So this is what is called ratchet p/p. Correct me if I'm wrong.

And I agree with Jack on the VCO. Like this feature a lot, too. VCO is not to mix up with modulated audio.

(Think we meant the same... :roll: ) :lol:

Thanks Tony! :yes:

Vito,
To be honest I am not familiar with the Prizm. I just thought I would contribute my understanding of ratchet on the DFX. I love your Avatar! What did you do put your camera in the hole? Coins Eye View...Great!

Jack

I am getting a prizm 4 (because I screwed up and thought it was a 5. :roll: The prizm 5 does have VCO pinpointing ) and it does not have VCO pinpointing, but my MXT does and I like the way the pinpointing works on the MXT but I am sure it cant be that much different, Thanks guys.

CyberSage said:
Thanks Tony! :yes:

Vito,
To be honest I am not familiar with the Prizm. I just thought I would contribute my understanding of ratchet on the DFX. I love your Avatar! What did you do put your camera in the hole? Coins Eye View...Great!

Jack

Thanks for the flowers, Jack. Yes, you're right on this. One day our dog dug a big deep hole. Before I filled in the hole, I thought I could take a photo like I saw in another forum. So the main idea isn't mine.
Laid a towel in the hole and placed the digicam.
Great you like it.

But your avatar is an eye-catcher also.

All the best to you.

Back
Top Bottom