Equinox nickel numbers

longbow62

Forum Supporter
I dig quite a few nickels with the Equinox. I am really just interested in just War nickels, Buff's, and V's. In Park2 I have got to the point I will not dig any target I think might be a nickel if I am centered over the target and I get a 14 on the V.D.I.. From my experience if your getting 12-13 with a 14 thrown in it's junk. Every nickel I can remember digging never hit as high as 14. V's for sure can drop as low 10-11 if deep. I dig 10-13 and that is actually one of my zones/bins turned up to 25 volume.

Has anyone else dug any nickels in Park2 that ended up reading a 13-14 on the VD.I.? On a relic site I do dig 14's just because, but in site with modern trash I pretty much don't dig any targets 14-17.

Has anyone else dug any nickels in Park2 that ended up reading a 13-14 on the VD.I.?

Yes.

If you are in a clean spot hunting nickels then you're not going to go wrong rejecting any signal that bounces to 14. You'll miss a few nickel, but you'll cover more ground. The older nickels--if they do anything weird--are typically going to go lower and not higher.

The problem is that I don't run into many places in town that have old nickels and not much adjacent aluminum trash. So, if I get a signal at 12/13 that's a decent size....meaning I can waggle forward and back about an inch and maintain those numbers....then it's probably going to be a dig. I wouldn't have dug as many older nickels last year if I had rejected signals that threw off a 14 away from the center of the signal. So, I won't dismiss a target just because I get a hint of 14 on the edges of the signal, especially in park 2.

Just as you stated, to find as many old nickels as possible, you can't rule out 10 and 11, and I don't mean just a bit of bouncing to 10/11 at the edges. I mean waving evenly between 12/13 and 11/10 at the center of the signal. I've dug plenty that were nearly steady 11s.

Yesterday I dug a solid 8 because the property has produced a lot of good relics and coins. Out popped a fairly slick buffalo nickel at about 5 inches. I was perplexed. I put the plug back together, tamped down, and didn't hear anything else that I thought could have influenced the number by that much. I've never had an old nickel be the object that was driving the signal and deviate that far away from 12. I've certainly had bonus nickels show up in holes where something else was driving the main signal. I'm certainly not expecting to find a nickel the next time I decide to dig a solid deep 8.

Last edited:
Longbow I have dug clad and war nickels that hit 14 and even 15. Out of the 453 nickels I dug last year 13 wn. 43 Buffs and 20 Vs most were 12-13. I also have 11thru13 loud so they jump out at me. On wiggle back if you get a little high blip at the end coming off the target its a good indication its a pulltab or junk of some sort. Some will say it sounds round ---I will say a nickel sounds like a nickel and the maybe nickel signals I dig most of them thinking it could be a ring or something. I dug a 18k small watch last year, 12-13 and jumping to 14. Wish I could be more help but a definite maybe is my answer. Good luck Mark

Depending on soil conditions, nearby targets and orientation, yes I have seen nickels bounce up to a 14 but always with lower numbers too. That is using Park 1, Park 2, Field 1 or Field 2. To the best of my recollection, I have never dug any nickel that was only a 14. Usually they are 12 to 13 with an occasional 11, and 10 to 13 for V nickels depending on their depth and condition.

Jeff

Longbow I have dug clad and war nickels that hit 14 and even 15. Out of the 453 nickels I dug last year 13 wn. 43 Buffs and 20 Vs most were 12-13. I also have 11thru13 loud so they jump out at me. On wiggle back if you get a little high blip at the end coming off the target its a good indication its a pulltab or junk of some sort. Some will say it sounds round ---I will say a nickel sounds like a nickel and the maybe nickel signals I dig most of them thinking it could be a ring or something. I dug a 18k small watch last year, 12-13 and jumping to 14. Wish I could be more help but a definite maybe is my answer. Good luck Mark

Wow 453 nickels in a year is incredible! I am lucky to get 6-8 Buffs a year. I am sure you must have a better handle on what nickels are reading than I do. I usually get about 5 V's a year and 2-3 War nickels. I certainly don't concentrate on nickels and I am sure I miss shallow ones all the time. Not high on my list, but I would hate to miss any older ones.

Thanks for the replies and any further commentary is appreciated. I just find it odd every time I dig a 12-13-14 it's junk, and when I limit digging to 13 and below I get more nickels.

Most of the nickels I have dug were 11 or 12 on the Equinox very seldom 13 or higher. I dug over 250 at one park I stopped counting after I reached 250 1 V 1902 and 1 buffalo 1937 from over 250 of them.

Back
Top Bottom