Made in America: Garrett Metal Detectors

Why do you tell me I need an Equinox? I own an Equinox 800, I have had it over 1 1/2 years. It is NOT the best detector ever made!!!!

For nickels it's not bad, if I only dig ID number 11 or 12 any other numbers I dig way too much trash.

I don't dig nickels at all. Not worth it in my book. I guess I am a treasure hunter. I detect for targets worth money. The Equinox is good at finding gold. That is why I have one.

I don't dig nickels at all. Not worth it in my book. I guess I am a treasure hunter. I detect for targets worth money. The Equinox is good at finding gold. That is why I have one.

9 grams of 14 k,came in as a solid nickel signal..What signals are you digging as a treasure hunter,and what’s worth money in Your book? By the way,it was found with a f75,came in as a 30 which is nickel.

Attachments

• 98978D2E-08C3-48E5-9851-033416FB6C40.jpeg
    98978D2E-08C3-48E5-9851-033416FB6C40.jpeg
    31.9 KB · Views: 135
  • 60164A5F-05F6-403D-B46D-BCD21B744AAC.jpeg
    60164A5F-05F6-403D-B46D-BCD21B744AAC.jpeg
    36.9 KB · Views: 126
  • 84E89278-60F4-461A-8B39-B6EB9B67C4A5.jpeg
    84E89278-60F4-461A-8B39-B6EB9B67C4A5.jpeg
    33.1 KB · Views: 119
It is not what I dig as to where I dig. I strictly hunt on salt water beaches these days. The only time I dirt hunt is to familiarize myself with a detector.

I will dig nickel signals on a beach, but then I pretty much dig it all depending on certain conditions like physical tiredness or time available.

In my opinion if I was to dirt hunt the separating out of nickels with a VDI tone would actually hinder the finding of gold rings. If I was a betting man and I am.....more gold rings fall outside the 12/13 VDI numbers. I have dug buffs, shields, and V's. Also plenty of war nickels in my 45 years of detecting. I don't think I ever found a nickel worth anything more. The junk drawer is full of them

As I said.....this is my opinion and I accept we all detect for certain things.

To sum it up......Accept all the low numbers. Dig the trash until you tire of digging it. Then go high numbers. You will find more interesting targets along with that trash as well more valuable targets than a nickel.

It is not what I dig as to where I dig. I strictly hunt on salt water beaches these days. The only time I dirt hunt is to familiarize myself with a detector.

I will dig nickel signals on a beach, but then I pretty much dig it all depending on certain conditions like physical tiredness or time available.

In my opinion if I was to dirt hunt the separating out of nickels with a VDI tone would actually hinder the finding of gold rings. If I was a betting man and I am.....more gold rings fall outside the 12/13 VDI numbers. I have dug buffs, shields, and V's. Also plenty of war nickels in my 45 years of detecting. I don't think I ever found a nickel worth anything more. The junk drawer is full of them

As I said.....this is my opinion and I accept we all detect for certain things.

To sum it up......Accept all the low numbers. Dig the trash until you tire of digging it. Then go high numbers. You will find more interesting targets along with that trash as well more valuable targets than a nickel.

I understand now,but I like finding old nickels so that’s why I dig them.And always the chance of a surprise gold..I’ve been using the simplex and really never dug much in the 60s range with most machines cause of the junk ratio..but your right about cool things falling in peculiar numbers,found a lot of tokens with the simplex in the 60s range..

9 grams of 14 k,came in as a solid nickel signal..What signals are you digging as a treasure hunter,and what’s worth money in Your book? By the way,it was found with a f75,came in as a 30 which is nickel.

That thing is a beast! What was the weight on it? The U.S. Is behind in metal detection technology. It would be nice to have an American detector that can compete with some of the other top dogs. I'm definitely interested in what garrett has up their sleeve in 2020. Garrett makes a great detector, no questions about that, just needs a few modern upgrades IMO. Hopefully 2020 is the breakout year for US detector manufacturers! :cool3:

That thing is a beast! What was the weight on it? The U.S. Is behind in metal detection technology. It would be nice to have an American detector that can compete with some of the other top dogs. I'm definitely interested in what garrett has up their sleeve in 2020. Garrett makes a great detector, no questions about that, just needs a few modern upgrades IMO. Hopefully 2020 is the breakout year for US detector manufacturers! :cool3:

9 grams, it's a female wedding ring but really fat and chunky ring.
I'm waiting on garret too, although the at pro does do a really great job on low conductors.
I bought a vanquish 540 to try on the ballfields for rings, we have several local ballfields that I've never hit infield, just sidelines..im hoping the 12 inch coil let's me cover some of the playing field fast around the bases.

Why do you tell me I need an Equinox? I own an Equinox 800, I have had it over 1 1/2 years. It is NOT the best detector ever made!!!!

For nickels it's not bad, if I only dig ID number 11 or 12 any other numbers I dig way too much trash.

Ok you need an At pro, Absolutely 👍:yes::yes::yes:!!!!!!!!

9 grams, it's a female wedding ring but really fat and chunky ring.
I'm waiting on garret too, although the at pro does do a really great job on low conductors.
I bought a vanquish 540 to try on the ballfields for rings, we have several local ballfields that I've never hit infield, just sidelines..im hoping the 12 inch coil let's me cover some of the playing field fast around the bases.
Oops, this was supposed to be a response to woodbutchers post.

I am eager to see what Garrett has up their sleeve also!

Last edited:
I don't dig nickels at all. Not worth it in my book. I guess I am a treasure hunter. I detect for targets worth money.

I love such statements. :laughing:

I've once discussed this with another gold hunter.
It appeared that i grabbed more money turning in copper and lead at the scrapyard, then he did with "all his gold".

I wonder who earned back his detector first? I wonder if he ever earned back his detectorS as he always buys other ones who find gold "much better".
Makes me asking myself. Need to find gold better? Does he find that less gold that it must get better each oppertunity?

Always wondered what gold can do with people.

Good for you...

My scrap metal.....copper and lead goes in the trash before i leave the beach. Even the half eaten zinc pennies that won't pass a coinstar get tossed. Like I said I've been doing this for over 45 years. I started at age 10 or 11. Had to use two hands to swing the detector. My junk drawer doesn't need more junk. Never understood the fascination with nickels. Junk to me. To me a major disappointment in the scoop. Intentionally setting a detector to specifically find them while coin hunting? Have fun with that.

I love such statements. :laughing:

I've once discussed this with another gold hunter.
It appeared that i grabbed more money turning in copper and lead at the scrapyard, then he did with "all his gold".

I wonder who earned back his detector first? I wonder if he ever earned back his detectorS as he always buys other ones who find gold "much better".
Makes me asking myself. Need to find gold better? Does he find that less gold that it must get better each oppertunity?

Always wondered what gold can do with people.
I love detectorists who reject nickels and aluminum!!! They are missing the gold I find👍😁

My junk drawer doesn't need more junk. Never understood the fascination with nickels. Junk to me.

To me neither and i don't need the junk either. Found me more then enough nice stuff.
When going to the scrap yard i even dump copper colonial coins for scrap, to bad/worn (but still readable) for what i want.:laughing: Coins you overthere would love to find an never would mention junk.
Still i take all the good metals, if it would be at least to clean up some piece of earth. I dug it, so i take it with me. If they all together bring me some tenners eacht time i'll take it. All tenners together through the years made an interesting amount.

Btw. There are so much fascinations in the world i don't get and are not mine. But if i can sell a nikkel or dime to someone who loves them, or a copper lump as scrap, i won't reject the money. :cool3:
Not that i am fascinated by money. Doesn't interst me at all. But it's a simple fact that i can use it to live. For the life's needs, and for pleasure.

No problem with someone looking for gold. But i am not fascinated by gold either. You can not eat it, wear it, live in it, so what is gold more then scrap if both bring you money to eat, wear and pay rent?
Doesn't interest me at all if an axe brings me 50 bucks, or a bucket with scrap metal does that, or a gold ear ring does. Don't know for sure but i guess both of you find exactly as i do, more scrap then expencive objects.

Back
Top Bottom