• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

What should you have found?

MasonDixonMding

Elite Member
I am new at detecting this year. I have found some cool things. My best in my opinion is a 1857 flying eagle that I was very lucky to find. That got me thinking what should I expect to find? So I’ll ask everyone. From cents to quarters what do you think you should have found but haven’t yet?

A Standing Liberty quarter. I have 2 Barber quarters, a few Barber dimes, Walking Liberty halves and even a Franklin half. Still can't find that SLQ.

What i should have found are some good permissions. Hunting the same parks over and over doesn't often deliver the good stuff. I don't mind repeated trips to the same beaches as there are fresh drops after busy weekends.

So my resolution for the new year is to seek out promising permissions.

Well, out of my 2 trips years ago to the southwest, I should have found at least one little gold picker nugget. Never happened with the detector, but I got a little by panning & sluicing.
Coinshooting, I should have dug a rusty steel wheat cent by now, but don't recall seeing one. I might have discarded one before I started looking for them, though.

Oh yeah, I wish I could dig a flying eagle, you lucky duck!

One thing that I have yet to find is an "off size" shotshell head. I have only personally found 12ga and .410.

A Silver Washington Quarter in good condition, Ive only found one and it was hit by a mower. :(

I have always been thinking I should have found a V nickel by now.

In the last 3 weeks or so I just found my first pre 1900 coin and my first standing liberty, and Ive been detecting (on and off) a long time.
:mder:

Congratulations on the flying eagle, especially one with a legible date.

There are several coins in the cent to quarter range that I thought I would have found by now (3.5 years in), but have not. I've certainly been hunting the right locations. Included in that list:
  • Large cent of any flavor
  • V nickel
  • Barber dime or quarter
  • Standing Liberty quarter

However, my expectations have changed over the past year and a half. It took me 1.5 years to find a wheat penny; 2 years to find a silver coin. Around the 2 year mark I started getting on some good locations and found a few coins I never expected to find, including a 1 Real, flying eagle, 2 cent, and seated half-dime.

I’ve dug many things but one thing that’s still on my bucket list is a danged large cent.

An odd denomination coin. Be it a half cent, 2 cent, 3 cent, half dime, I don't care. I want one of the weird ones, preferably all of them. But I'll settle for just one.

As for things that are actually likely to happen but haven't, I still haven't found a clad kennedy half. I've found several silver half dollars including a barber but never just a clad one. Strange. I won't complain there though, make the next one a seated please.

Standing Liberty Quarter is my White Whale. I don’t find many silver quarters in my area for some reason, but I’ve managed to find several GWs, a Barber, and a Seated. But five years into the hobby, still no SLQ. I’m pretty sure I’ll dance like it’s gold if I every turn one up in a plug at this point!

After more than 35 years doing this, I really ought to have found at least ONE Barber Half and ONE Seated Half. Have dimes and quarters in those series, but the Halves are still hiding. :?:

Flying Eagle is on my bucket list. 40 years and many 1860s Indian Heads, Shielded Nickles, Seated, III Cent & 2 Cents, and no Flying eagle.

I've only have detected in my one acre yard but I'm surprised at not finding any dimes, clad or silver. You would think they would be the easiest to lose.

There are a few coins that statistically I should have found by now. First is a half cent, dug plenty of large cents(maybe 20 or so?) but no half cents. Second is that flying eagle of yours....I have literally dug over 200 indians.... odds are one of those eagles should have been at those sites. Another is a standing or walking anything. I have dug well over 50 seated coins(including half dimes and half dollars), maybe half that number in barbers, and same thing for mercs. Shoot I have even found multiples of the odd ones like trimes, half dimes, 2 centers, and canadian fishscales. I have found buffalos, v nicks, shield nicks.....hell I even found a damn cob coin from 1680.... but no slqs or walkers

Back
Top Bottom