New member and new to metal detecting

FlinthillRanger

Hi y’all,

New to this forum and to metal detecting, I had one as a kid but I’m sure a lot has changed in 30 years, the only thing I ever found with it was a few quarters my dad threw into the yard for me to find.

My son Mitch (13) and I want to get into it, we have been watching videos on YouTube and are excited to learn. My property that we live on use to have a railroad going through it during the 1800s so we figured we could just start here.

We are clueless on what detectors, gear and general knowledge we need to get going. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Sam

Welcome from Iowa! As a 15 year old myself it’s great to see other people my age getting into the hobby. If you’re looking for good starter machines I’d recommend a Minelab vanquish or if you plan on water hunting a Nokta simplex. Both are excellent detectors that are cheap and if you call a forum sponsor they’ll give you a great deal. If you need any tips many people on here are happy to help. Keep us posted on your finds!

Hi y’all,

New to this forum and to metal detecting, I had one as a kid but I’m sure a lot has changed in 30 years, the only thing I ever found with it was a few quarters my dad threw into the yard for me to find.

My son Mitch (13) and I want to get into it, we have been watching videos on YouTube and are excited to learn. My property that we live on use to have a railroad going through it during the 1800s so we figured we could just start here.

We are clueless on what detectors, gear and general knowledge we need to get going. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Sam
Welcome to the forum!
Yes, the metal detector technology has changed dramatically since around 2018. I would also suggest reading the posts on this forum for a period of time.
There is a wealth of knowledge here in those posts about every aspect of detecting.
It is wonderful that you have some known history on your own property and that is a great place to start detecting.

I started with the good old bounty Hunter about 10 years back but since then I was given an AT Pro and found a lot, I use mine lab equinox 600 now but the AT Pro is a perfect detector to start with I feel! Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom