• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Edc

In general, my edc is a Sig P320 concealed. Out where the naughty beavers run rampant, it's a Sig P220 carried in one of these.

https://gunfightersinc.com/kenai-chest-holster/

Of course, just like everyone on this forum, I know life is a lot easier on me if I just keep myself from getting into a situation that calls for drawing a firearm.

I’m not afforded that luxury. When your property is measured in miles, in a lawless environment, and you have 400 lb bears and 150 lb cats around your house all the time, you will have confrontations with both four-legged and two-legged creatures that give you no choice in the matter.

My County is the size of Connecticut and only has five Sheriff Deputies on duty at any given time, and the National Forest I live in resides in five Counties and there are two Forest Law Enforcement Officers for the entire Forest. I’m on my own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting thread, especially as I am a Brit...Just curious, but do the folks who carry bother getting legal insurance to cover the eventuality that you have to use the firearm in self defence and end up in court?

Interesting thread, especially as I am a Brit...Just curious, but do the folks who carry bother getting legal insurance to cover the eventuality that you have to use the firearm in self defence and end up in court?

Crowd Funding.
Its working for Kyle

I do. It isn't required by any means. I don't really know what good it will do, but I figure it's better than nothing. I hope there's no "eventuality" but if I am forced to protect my family, or myself, I'll have the option.

Did they switch to plastic pint glasses there yet? Just a curiosity from this side of the pond. Cheers.

I do. It isn't required by any means. I don't really know what good it will do, but I figure it's better than nothing. I hope there's no "eventuality" but if I am forced to protect my family, or myself, I'll have the chance.

Did they switch to plastic pint glasses there yet? Just a curiosity from this side of the pond. Cheers.

I think I would would some sort of legal insurance for peace of mind..I could imagine the situation where you win the court case but still end up financially ruined...

Re the pint glasses...most pubs still use glass, but a lot of venues like sports stadiums or concert halls have switched...Given the price of a pint these days, I don't bother much, and tend to have a drink at home instead...

Crowd Funding.
Its working for Kyle

I suppose, but I think I would want something a little more concrete...

Don't know what to make of the Ritter case; if our press can be believed, some of the stuff he was saying after the case almost sounded as if he was professing to be anti-gun....

I suppose, but I think I would want something a little more concrete...

Don't know what to make of the Ritter case; if our press can be believed, some of the stuff he was saying after the case almost sounded as if he was professing to be anti-gun....

I have had conversations with many Brits and your thought process is the result of not having any concept of the personal freedoms and liberties that we Americans are guaranteed by our Constitution. You have no reference point for the individual rights we are afforded. As you recall, we had a little skirmish about these rights a few years back.

You also don’t have a fundamental understanding of the vastness of the American west. To give you some idea, my County is almost as large as Wales.

I live in, for all practical purposes, a lawless environment which also has 150+ lb. lions and 400+ lb. bears right outside my front door. Take a look at my game camera thread in the Family Friendly forum.

This is a photoshop of three separate photos taken by a game camera located on one of my driveways.

1b932390a1a6d0ed45d5bd410b7b3b33.jpg

Law enforcement response time to my property could be measured in hours, so Americans like myself are on our own when comes to protecting ourselves and our families from threats. Whether those threats walk on two legs or four.

Also, contrary to what you’re told by your media, gun violence is extremely rare in the overwhelming majority of the US. Politically created environments in our large cities, in an effort to secure votes for the purpose of greed, have produced a culture of violence within those cities. It’s such a shame and it’s the worst domestic policy failure in our nation’s history.

If you ever find your way to the central coast of Oregon, send me a PM and I’ll show you some beautiful countryside. [emoji1360]

I have had conversations with many Brits and your thought process is the result of not having any concept of the personal freedoms and liberties that we Americans are guaranteed by our Constitution. You have no reference point for the individual rights we are afforded. As you recall, we had a little skirmish about these rights a few years back.

You also don’t have a fundamental understanding of the vastness of the American west. To give you some idea, my County is almost as large as Wales.

I live in, for all practical purposes, a lawless environment which also has 150+ lb. lions and 400+ lb. bears right outside my front door. Take a look at my game camera thread in the Family Friendly forum.

This is a photoshop of three separate photos taken by a game camera located on one of my driveways.

1b932390a1a6d0ed45d5bd410b7b3b33.jpg

Law enforcement response time to my property could be measured in hours, so Americans like myself are on our own when comes to protecting ourselves and our families from threats. Whether those threats walk on two legs or four.

Also, contrary to what you’re told by your media, gun violence is extremely rare in the overwhelming majority of the US. Politically created environments in our large cities, in an effort to secure votes for the purpose of greed, have produced a culture of violence within those cities. It’s such a shame and it’s the worst domestic policy failure in our nation’s history.

If you ever find your way to the central coast of Oregon, send me a PM and I’ll show you some beautiful countryside. [emoji1360]

A lot of assumptions in your post about me...I have been shooting since I was a teenager and joined our version of the Army Reserves. It was during that time I started deer stalking and small game hunting, stalking deer all over the UK plus hunting in South Africa a number of times over the years. Today, I legally own a number of firearms and i am also an avid reloader.

Many of my friends also shoot and stalk in a similar manner.

As to your Right To Bare Arms, I am very aware of it as I was a very active on a couple of American dominated Hunting and Shooting forums until they took a severe swing to the Far Right and the number of racist comments became quite sickening and not something any decent person would want to be associated with. Before that happened, I actually hoisted a couple of American hunters on a hunting lease I was on at the time, and on two different occasions hunted in South Africa with some American hunters friends.

I would have loved to have hunted in the US, but the short seasons, expensive tags and extreme red tape for visiting hunters (compared to the UK) sadly just did not make it practical...

Getting back to your Right to Bare Arms, as stated, it's not something we have here and it's something I generally support for my American friends. Having talked to several Americans who lived in remote areas of the southern US, just a stone's throw from the Mexican border, their lives were more reminiscent of the 1800's than I would have ever expected.

Getting back to the Ritter case, I still say that his post trial comments seem at odds with the events that occurred as if he is now trying to appease the anti gun establishment?

Edited to add, I love the composite picture, but I am not sure I would be carrying my rifle cased after seeing who else you are sharing the road way with....lol

Last edited:
Ruger Max 380 or Glock 42 when concealed carrying. Sig M18 or Taurus 605 in open carry areas.

A lot of assumptions in your post about me...I have been shooting since I was a teenager and joined our version of the Army Reserves. It was during that time I started deer stalking and small game hunting, stalking deer all over the UK plus hunting in South Africa a number of times over the years. Today, I legally own a number of firearms and i am also an avid reloader.

Many of my friends also shoot and stalk in a similar manner.

As to your Right To Bare Arms, I am very aware of it as I was a very active on a couple of American dominated Hunting and Shooting forums until they took a severe swing to the Far Right and the number of racist comments became quite sickening and not something any decent person would want to be associated with. Before that happened, I actually hoisted a couple of American hunters on a hunting lease I was on at the time, and on two different occasions hunted in South Africa with some American hunters friends.

I would have loved to have hunted in the US, but the short seasons, expensive tags and extreme red tape for visiting hunters (compared to the UK) sadly just did not make it practical...

Getting back to your Right to Bare Arms, as stated, it's not something we have here and it's something I generally support for my American friends. Having talked to several Americans who lived in remote areas of the southern US, just a stone's throw from the Mexican border, their lives were more reminiscent of the 1800's than I would have ever expected.

Getting back to the Ritter case, I still say that his post trial comments seem at odds with the events that occurred as if he is now trying to appease the anti gun establishment?

Edited to add, I love the composite picture, but I am not sure I would be carrying my rifle cased after seeing who else you are sharing the road way with....lol

I’m not carrying a peanut butter and jelly sandwich under my shirt. [emoji846] I’m trying to keep my FNX-45 from getting wet in the light rain. It’s one of my favorites.

4672fe4a51c151fc96a5466ce65ff202.jpg

I would normally not be worried enough about the lions to carry a pistol unholstered, but we had a lot of lion activity at the time and a couple that were hunting together.

4c45f6831f1c6f8b1758757e800a9b57.jpg

Ruger LC9S for me. Carried in an Alien Gear appendix holster but worn in the center of my back. The appendix holster only has 1 clip so it's easier to wear. It's so comfortable I can drive with it on and I can even nap with it on.

I’m not carrying a peanut butter and jelly sandwich under my shirt. [emoji846] I’m trying to keep my FNX-45 from getting wet in the light rain. It’s one of my favorites.

4672fe4a51c151fc96a5466ce65ff202.jpg

I would normally not be worried enough about the lions to carry a pistol unholstered, but we had a lot of lion activity at the time and a couple that were hunting together.

4c45f6831f1c6f8b1758757e800a9b57.jpg

Don't know how often the attack rate is up there , but here in So.Cal over the last 20 years or so we've had a few that were attacked and eaten by mountain lions. These attacks were not far from homes.

How close do they venture to the house? Do they bother any pets/stock etc you have around the place?

How close do they venture to the house? Do they bother any pets/stock etc you have around the place?

I had a face to face encounter with one, just a few feet from my front door. I was walking from my shop to my main house while looking at the ground, in an effort to not step on any newts, and I walked up to about 25’ from one. It was crouched down on its belly allowing me to approach it. When I raised my head and saw it, I stopped walking and we had a standoff for a couple of seconds. I was unarmed, with the exception of a large folding knife. After my brain processed what I was seeing, I reached for my knife and as soon as I did that, the lion stood up, turned around and walked towards my front door, which was about 40’ away. I have bushes all around that side of my house so the lion was out of my view and between myself and my front door. I walked a couple hundred feet back to my shop and grabbed a pitchfork and went back to the house. I slowly walked through the bushes and went inside my house, grabbed a snack and drink, and sat down at the computer. Within minutes, the damn thing walked right past the window where I was sitting.

It’s rare to have that type of encounter during the day, with the lions and bears, but they do show up during the day every once in a while. I have wondered how close that lion was going to let me get to it, before it decided what it was going to do. At ~25’, it was getting close to decision time for it.

In regards to me having animals, they would just be lion food. Not worth the fight for me.

Here are photos of the bushes around that side of my house and the pathway where the lion was crouched down watching me walk towards it. It was between the first two bushes as I approached. Also, a recent photo of a lion standing next to my mailboxes, which are between my house and my shop. You can see my shop in the background of the second photo.

8556606a933f530bdec9caabcf3009e8.jpg

1f3ae82b0035dda930f3a68238e92e44.jpg

d3b2844065aac85c02c2cb02cbbc7dbb.jpg

That's a beautiful area you live in and believe it or not could easily pass for many places in the UK, except for the critters of course...

Are you allowed to hunt Mountain Lions where you are? As much as I would enjoy seeing them about I would prefer to see them a bit further away from my house especially if I had children at home....

I know in California, in the years following the ban on hunting with hounds, attacks on hikers and mountain walkers slowly increased as mountain lions started to loose their fear of man...

I have always had a fascination with big cats, and grew up reading the tales of Corbett and Anderson in India. I have had "encounters" with lions in SA and was lucky enough to see a leopard with a kill carry it up a tree....

That's a beautiful area you live in and believe it or not could easily pass for many places in the UK, except for the critters of course...

Are you allowed to hunt Mountain Lions where you are? As much as I would enjoy seeing them about I would prefer to see them a bit further away from my house especially if I had children at home....

I know in California, in the years following the ban on hunting with hounds, attacks on hikers and mountain walkers slowly increased as mountain lions started to loose their fear of man...

I have always had a fascination with big cats, and grew up reading the tales of Corbett and Anderson in India. I have had "encounters" with lions in SA and was lucky enough to see a leopard with a kill carry it up a tree....

I don’t want to hijack the OP’s thread anymore than I already have. My apologies to the OP. I have a game camera thread in the Family Friendly forum.

Back
Top Bottom