What should you have found?

There are a few coins that statistically I should have found by now. First is a half cent, dug plenty of large cents(maybe 20 or so?) but no half cents. Second is that flying eagle of yours....I have literally dug over 200 indians.... odds are one of those eagles should have been at those sites. Another is a standing or walking anything. I have dug well over 50 seated coins(including half dimes and half dollars), maybe half that number in barbers, and same thing for mercs. Shoot I have even found multiples of the odd ones like trimes, half dimes, 2 centers, and canadian fishscales. I have found buffalos, v nicks, shield nicks.....hell I even found a damn cob coin from 1680.... but no slqs or walkers

With this and other posts, there's some things to consider that can explain why some things seem like they should be found more often than they are. Half cents, for example, have far far lower mintages than large cents and were produced for fewer years. (literally the average mintage for any year with half cents is ~50,000, versus 2 or 3 million with large cents) Flying eagle cents, were hoarded during the Civil War and later rounded up and melted down by the treasury to make more bronze indian head cents. They were also only made for 2 years, only really widely circulating for like 10 years - not a large window for people to lose them in.

Additionally where you're searching is huge. From the sounds of your disproportionally large seated count (nice by the way), you're hunting places that predate things like slqs and walkers. This idea can be extended to other people too - if you haven't found x, you're probably hunting places that are either too old or too new to find x at.

Flying Eagle is on my bucket list. 40 years and many 1860s Indian Heads, Shielded Nickles, Seated, III Cent & 2 Cents, and no Flying eagle.

Flying Eagles are tough. Only minted for a few years, so very few of us “should” have found them. I’ve found just one, in over 35 years in this hobby.

With this and other posts, there's some things to consider that can explain why some things seem like they should be found more often than they are. Half cents, for example, have far far lower mintages than large cents and were produced for fewer years. (literally the average mintage for any year with half cents is ~50,000, versus 2 or 3 million with large cents) Flying eagle cents, were hoarded during the Civil War and later rounded up and melted down by the treasury to make more bronze indian head cents. They were also only made for 2 years, only really widely circulating for like 10 years - not a large window for people to lose them in.

Additionally where you're searching is huge. From the sounds of your disproportionally large seated count (nice by the way), you're hunting places that predate things like slqs and walkers. This idea can be extended to other people too - if you haven't found x, you're probably hunting places that are either too old or too new to find x at.

yes you are right, mostly hunting old. Another reason is the area I am in everyone left and went west when most of the oil and natural gas was pumped out. Throw in the gold rush and great depression and my area never really recovered, even to this day.

An SLQ for sure, I’ve found seated, barber and Mercury dimes, silve Washington’s and silver barber quarter, even a half dime, but still no SLQ. The area I’ve been pounding has been open to the public only since about 2015 and you couldn’t detect there before that. The place has been seeing people since the early 1800s to the late 1990s but still i can’t find one there.

Six years in the hobby and still looking for my first seated silver. I hunt some pretty old ground, I have dug largies, Ihps,(oldest 1864 ) V nickels and even one shield but no seated silver. My oldest silver is an 1892 Barber quarter. So knockin' on the door. For me # 1 is a seated followed by a 2 cent'r then a Barber half. Then of course a Trime, and flying eagle and maybe a couple dream finds, a Morgan, gold coin and so on. One day, maybe. Mark

I don’t know about should have found but sure would have liked the last two falsely marked 14k chains I found to be real. The most recent being 30” and weighing in at 55g.

CallMeGrey I know the feeling. When I got back into detecting, it took me forever to finally find a silver WA quarter. 480 clad quarters in fact! (I counted)

Oh, the list is just too long.... :\

seateds
reales
gold coin
barbers
SLQ
LC
V
IHP
Morgan
Peace
Tokens
I'm sure there's lots more.

A gold ring. Just one real gold ring after 12 years is all I ask.

amc rulz, may KT suggest hunting parks and modern totlots, also volleyball courts..sand-based, of course. KT, when a new mder, recovered 2 gold rings and several gold chains, one with a gold crucifix still attached, from those types of sites, even under swing sets! :yes::yes:

amc rulz, may KT suggest hunting parks and modern totlots, also volleyball courts..sand-based, of course. KT, when a new mder, recovered 2 gold rings and several gold chains, one with a gold crucifix still attached, from those types of sites, even under swing sets! :yes::yes:
Thank you KT. Btw, I have never found anything in a volleyball court. Nothing of big interest for me in tot lots either, except for a nice chrome zippo lighter. I have gone days digging nothing but nickel, penny and tab signals on lakefront parks, and we have many here. I’ve dug over 50 rings, most silver but not a single piece of gold. Maybe it’s just not meant to be!

Back
Top Bottom