Shotgun Headstamps

Barneymartin3

I have collected shotgun head stamps for years and enjoy metal detecting the woods for them. I have found many different makes and styles but here are two shotgun head stamps that are a first for me. One is a P.P.C. LEAGUE No. 16 and the other is a AUSTIN CT'GE CO 12 G with a chain around the primer. Is Turtlefoot still around? Sure could use his help on these or anyone else that's knowledgeable on head stamps.

Attachments

• AUSTIN.jpg
    AUSTIN.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 290
Nice finds! Your P.C.C. is an early Peters Cartridge Company headstamp. It will date from 1896-1902 and is the first 16ga one that I have seen.

Your other one is a bucket list find for me. Austin Cartridge Company headstamps are as rare as they come. It will date from 1895-1909.

GREAT FINDS!

Doug

Nice ones Barny! Great IDs Doug!!
Thank you. It sure feels good to be talking about "headstamps" again.
Those cleaned up really nice and look great against the black.
They really do look good against the black. I stole a piece of black velvet from my wife to try as a background for when I finally get around to updating the images.

Thanks Turtlefoot for the info on the Austin headstamp! It is the first one I have ever found. I just started hunting the area where it was found so I might find some more. I would be glad to share one with you if I do. I have been metal detecting and collecting headstamps for 40+ years and have amassed a very large collection. We headstamp collectors must be very few in number. Hope we can embark on a very long friendship! By the way the headstamps I pictured are displayed inside a 1 1/2"x1 1/2" black Gem Box. I display my more rare headstamps in this way. The Gem Boxes are somewhat expensive but you can find them in bulk on EBay.

There aren't many of us collectors out there. I have a fair amount of shotshell heads in my collection myself. It is always nice to talk to another collector. Thanks for the tip on the gem boxes. I will be looking into them. I need a better way to display some of my better headstamps.

Doug

I had never given any thought to the "collectability" of shotgun shell head stamps...this was certainly a learning post for me - and will make me more diligent when hunting in fields and wooded areas. Thanks, guys!

I tried hunting some property owned by the company I worked for several years ago. It had been used for farming for several generations and had civil war history. The only problem was that it had also been used for hunting during all that time. I got so tired digging up headstamps I finally gave it up. Now that I know more about headstamps I might rethink that strategy. I guess you learn something new every day.

Cliff

Nice finds! Your P.C.C. is an early Peters Cartridge Company headstamp. It will date from 1896-1902 and is the first 16ga one that I have seen.

Your other one is a bucket list find for me. Austin Cartridge Company headstamps are as rare as they come. It will date from 1895-1909.

GREAT FINDS!

Doug

Ok, I have quite a few in my junk box. Now you have my interest. What is the best way to clean them?

I found that letting them soak over night in soapy water then scrubbing them with a firm tooth brush does a great job. Once I have my keepers cleaned I preserve them with virgin olive oil. Dab olive oil on them and let them sit awhile then rub polish them. They turn out pretty good. One last thing, Do not use electrolysis on these. The metal is so thin that it usually burns them up and makes them brittle and make them look dark. Hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom