Drained Hunt Spots

I wager that you could probably go find $2-$5 dollars of clad in a few hours in California. I used to be able here. Now, it seems like the work that got me silvers for years, are resulting in diminished clad counts, a buck or two tops. It is hard keeping the interest with an aging body at 70. I could dig junk I guess, but I ain't a relic guy, never have been.

I never have been a door knocker. I put myself in their place...I don't want any stranger poking around my property. Maybe that is over paranoia.

Martin, I Totally agree with everything you say in your post. I'm 76 and will be 77 by the time next year's hunt season begins. My detecting days are numbered even though I'm still in good shape for my age. I've had my heyday for silver coin finds but those days are pretty much over for me. Even clad is getting harder to find nowadays. Like you, I'm not a "relic" guy and never have been. There's a lot of "relics" out there that I would call "junk" but to each their own.

I consider myself very lucky in my location. Who hasn't heard of Dodge City, This very location has a history back to 1541 and Coronado. Anything is possible, and I've proved it. From Roman coin to Spanish Reale, and in the state of Kansas which became a state in 1861.

After nearly 50 years of metal detecting the area my bucket list is very low. Boxes & boxes of coins, jewelry & relics even to the point I have many I don't even know what is in them. I would just clean out my pouch and put it in boxes. Many items are on public display in local museums. Metal detecting has a whole new meaning to me now.

As my signature has said for years, The Real Treasure is in the Hunt... I'm getting old and my body is paying the price for my indiscretion when I was younger. I still have many sites ready to give up the goods but I just can't do it anymore. I hunt mostly tot lots because it doesn't require me to bend down in most cases. Sometimes I still make a trip to the city park and throw the dice for some oldies. There is still so much to be pulled out of that park.

Back when I was working and in good health, I chased new technology looking to gain that next 1"-2" that would hand me the goods again for a while, but I think we've hit a wall when it comes to depth. I say this simply because I have given it my all buying the best money could buy until I reached the point that buying the newest dog wasn't getting me any more bite. That was about 5 years ago. I have tried several of the new rigs, but nothing seems to work any deeper in my ground than what I had.

I'm not complaining, metal detecting has been very good to me. Now I can enjoy myself with just a quick hunt for clad or bling.

Back when I was looking for the best of the best. My Deus isn't in this picture, nor my NOX 800.

Some very good points there. I'm 66 and luckily other than knees getting slower at getting up after a recovery and discs in my back getting thinner and being 40 pounds heavier than I'd like... I'm still in pretty good shape. My back doctor told me back in 2009 "you're getting older, you're gonna hurt, get over it" so I plug along. A recent trip back to Panama City Beach re-inforced to me that I CAN still do 6 hours in the water hunting!

Is that a DFX in that picture? Killer machine! I hate to sell mine but of all the machines I have, it's the least used, and I need to thin the herd...

I've always maintained that as long as I find at least one penny, I won't be going home skunked. It IS all about the hunt.

I do invite ANYONE and that new technology to come and be tested in our city park. Convenience the family on a Western vacation this next spring or summer, and I'll take you to a park that goes back 130+ years. Two things I can assure you of is that 1. when you see it you WILL agree there are many many old coins left to be found. 2. after you hunt, you will agree I have done a very good job with the technology I have.

I have used the Equinox 800 there for roughly 6 months and 2 wheats to show for it. And not even that old or deep. The Deus II/Legend/Manticore just might be the ticket. If you have faith in the ability of your new technology over older tech, then you're in for the hunt of a lifetime. 130+ years of coins in with 130+ years of trash. Mostly iron nails from many years of buildings being built and torn down.

We can still take the old E-Trac down and pull a few now & then, which I believe is due to the iron over time rusting away to the point where the conductive target is stronger than the ferrous.

I would love nothing better than to be proven wrong and someone pull all that good stuff just waiting on the right detector or skill.

I might just take you up on that offer, not for competition but just to get to shake your hand and hunt some new areas. But I'm bringing the E-Trac, the 'Nox is a good machine but it just ain't no E-Trac...

Let the flaming begin..

thumb_just-sitting-here-waiting-dont-mind-me-ner-negen비-ator-net-50216523.jpg

Is that a DFX in that picture? Killer machine! I hate to sell mine but of all the machines I have, it's the least used, and I need to thin the herd...

I loved my DFX. Used one for many years and I still think it has the most accurate target ID on the market today. I could tell a copper from a zinc penny easily. Yes the factory programs were too conservative, to make learning to use a detector easier, but once you started tweaking settings, you could get some serious depth, and there still is no better gold tot lot machine. My hunting buddy still uses his, and it can hit any piece of gold we have hit with the very best detectors.

I invite you and anyone that wants a chance at some killer hunting with the right detector in our city park. It is there, you just need a detector, and the skill, to get it.

Back
Top Bottom