metaldetector.com

dbowling

Went to order a new rain/dust cover for new Eurotek Pro and they want 24.00 to ship it, weights maybe 6 oz at most, said they stopped using USPS shipping due to too many delays in shipping, every package Ive had come all summer thru USPS has been on time and its been a bunch.. guy told me Id have to order 125.00 worth of stuff to get free shipping, didnt want free just fair..
They just lost any business I would of given them in the future.

I drink loose leaf tea and have ordered from a business in Massachusetts for over 15 years. It always took 2-3 days for me to recieve an order, until recently. It now takes 8-10 days.

I agree though that charging a LOT more because the USPS has slowed down doesn't make sense. I always consider shipping cost when I order online.

Went to order a new rain/dust cover for new Eurotek Pro and they want 24.00 to ship it, weights maybe 6 oz at most, said they stopped using USPS shipping due to too many delays in shipping, every package Ive had come all summer thru USPS has been on time and its been a bunch.. guy told me Id have to order 125.00 worth of stuff to get free shipping, didnt want free just fair..

USPS is basically bankrupt. I live in Asia and used to ship packages that would cost $50 to send and take about 7 days with signature for delivery.
It now costs $125 and takes between 1 to 2 months.

yeah! businesses are beginning to refuse to off set shipping costs.they are getting hammered, and you must figure the shipping into the deal to make the buy,or no buy decision. you would have to do this anyway, it's just more "stinging" today
the only time you can get free ship is when their "margins" are met on a 'bigger order, then they will ship for free, but you have already Paid for the shipping because of the increase in the size of the order, soo! no win!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

I can vouch for the fact that the USPS is a train wreck. I've personally experienced late or missing packages.

Part of the problem is a trucker shortage and labor shortage at the USPS facilities. On top of that, we are experiencing a comeback in inflation, which jacks up the price of gas/jet fuel, which adds to the cost, as well as wages for the drivers et. al.

I tried to ship a White's hard case I was selling to a member for $50. They (the big carriers, including USPS), wanted $45 for the shipping, IIRC. It wasn't worth it.

The shipping problems are real for the reasons described above, and others. I wouldn't be so quick to blame a vendor until you priced it out yourself (easy to do if you know the size and weight).

Also, amazon.com, I believe, has long term contracts with USPS et. al., and thus can skirt these costs perhaps. USPS must be losing a mountain of money on that, who knows?

Funny you bring that up.. I was looking to purchase a new lesche sheath from them in mid September for $11.50.. Shipping was going to be $15.71 for ground. I said no way.. I'm not cheap but that seemed like a lot..I know times are tough, and I'm not certain of the breakdown of shipping costs, but it was simply more than I was willing to pay.

I work for a reasonably large manufacturer of consumer goods in an extremely competitive industry. We ship product all over the world to distributors, dealers and government agencies. We use many different methods from UPS, Fedex, trucking companies and freight forwarders. I have to believe the rates we pay are as competitive as any. After company payroll, our freight expenses are our largest cost center. It is normal practice in my industry for companies to prepay shipping to their customers. These costs continue to escalate in the form of higher rates and fuel surcharges levied by the carriers. Raw material costs, labor costs, insurance and taxes are all increasing and despite what some in government and media will try to have you believe, these costs are being passed on to the end user (consumer). Private business will maintain profitability or they will not exist. And it doesn't take too much research to learn that government controlled and owned business cannot sustain itself in a free society.
Get used to what you are seeing. Inflation is real and is going to get worse under current government policies.
I apologize in advance if this post is too political for the forum.

USPS is a disaster and both FedEx and UPS have been running over capacity for the past year and they are just now heading into the Christmas peak season. I hear they are limiting existing customers volumes and not offering as good of discounts due to the extreme volume. And both are short of manpower for sorting, loading and delivering packages. Just can't hire enough people. I work in logistics and the whole business is a challenge right now.

I got the exact same thing from Amazon for 23 shipped, shipping was 3.99, its coming USPS..Fed Ex is a bigger disaster then the post office, they have left 800.00 packages sitting at end of my driveway in the actual road, my drive is 150 yds long. Heres just recently they delivered a package of mine to a house 12 miles from me then refused to go back and get it.. Luckily the owner found my phone number on sh label and called me.
While shipping may cost more I know what actual shipping costs are for items as I ship hundreds of packages every year thru USPS and to ship a 5 oz pkg in padded envelope wouldn't cost anyone more then 7-8 bucks,wouldnt mind the extra few days wait..
the package I bought from Amazon scheduled for delivery tomorrow, so 4 day delivery.
This was for my girlfriends detector I just bought her she did the baggie thing but wants a better solution.

I shipped a package a few days ago and noticed a higher cost. The postal clerk said they raised prices for the holiday season. We'll see if they lower them afterwards but I doubt they will especially with inflation getting out of control.

Funny this post showed up.... I ordered a laser range finder last week. Shipped UPS, then was transfered to the local post office. Tracking link tells me its been out for delivery since 6:01 am Saturday. Or, the link will randomly say its an invalid tracking number. If it's not here today I'll assume it has been lost.

Back
Top Bottom