Black sand White gold

REAL_RAT_FINK

Forum Supporter
Been a slow start to the year but depositors are showing up and make things more fun.

This one however was not a recent drop. Working the black sand and waves crashing into me, I flipped out a pile of rocks and saw this old band staring back at me. Looked like brass or copper at first because it had a dull tarnished look to it, but the weight was right and 14k frederick goldman is a good sign. [emoji2]

Looked yellowish when I found it, polished it up and it's actually white gold! That's a first, I've never seen that happen. I'm guessing the gold bled through? No idea. Maybe the alloys tarnished, which is probably more likely. 9.3 grams of 14k. Must of been down there awhile to look like that.

PXL_20210510_220015739.jpgPXL_20210511_004616887.jpgPXL_20210511_020519261.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

I believe white gold is just yellow gold plated with rhodium? My wife's ring is white gold, and it is starting to look yellow in spots from wear. That's a nice one RRF congrats!

I believe white gold is just yellow gold plated with rhodium? My wife's ring is white gold, and it is starting to look yellow in spots from wear. That's a nice one RRF congrats!

That reminds me of a story about my ex-wife once.

I had just given her a ring that was white gold, and being the "teacher" I try to be, asked her "Do you know how they make white gold"?

She said "They just take the yellow out.......<insert uncomfortable pause here as she realizes what she said>...how?"

LOL

NIce weight to it too! My guess is it was tarnished. I use to dig a few, even had one spot I hunted that the water was so bad it would turn my lucky silver ring I wore gold colored.

Nice. Very nice.

A few years ago my wife and I took a tour of Costa Rica and because we’d be staying a day at a beach I packed my Tesoro Sand Shark and a cheap breakdown scoop. When I hit the beach I was shocked to see not the white sand in the brochures, but black volcanic sand instead. And it was giving the Shark fits with false signals. I was pissed.

Well I eventually figured out how to read between the false signals and right where the waves were hitting the beach I got a signal. Well that sand really packed tight and the scoop was practically worthless. I’d pry out some sand and a wave immediately refilled it. I couldn’t seem to capture the signal and after about 10 attempts and the realization I was likely chasing a bottle cap, I decided to make one more try. But I shifted over about an inch. G0T IT!

Washed out the sand and the bottle cap turned into a gorgeous 14K white gold man’s ring with 9 sparkling diamonds. I don’t wear rings often but when I do, it’s this one!

Attachments

• 3E75198B-E1A9-4038-8935-DE33D33DA1D0.jpeg
    3E75198B-E1A9-4038-8935-DE33D33DA1D0.jpeg
    41.4 KB · Views: 562
Always a fan of photo's like your left photo. Raw, gorgeous, and exciting!

:dingding: VERY NICE!!! And it fits! ;)

Every single member here has there own "saying"

Felix has "And it fits!"

Tom boasts his "Location, Location, Location"

and many more that I can't remember.

Kinda like how I treat myself a cookie for every piece of 925 or silver, and chunk of a brownie (very small) for every key.

Now I think the park wants me to starve and never eat anything again...

Josh

Every single member here has there own "saying"

Felix has "And it fits!"

Tom boasts his "Location, Location, Location"

and many more that I can't remember.

Kinda like how I treat myself a cookie for every piece of 925 or silver, and chunk of a brownie (very small) for every key.

Now I think the park wants me to starve and never eat anything again...

Josh

My hunting buddy and I have a "tradition" that whenever we find a ring (regardless of the metal) we get a frosty from Wendy's. Hence, rings are called "frosties"

My hunting buddy and I have a "tradition" that whenever we find a ring (regardless of the metal) we get a frosty from Wendy's. Hence, rings are called "frosty"

Heh, wendy's is going to SO go out of business when a jewelry shop gets robbed then spilled on the turf... :laughing:

Back
Top Bottom