Your best Pitch!!

DonJuann

What is you best Pitch for asking permission??? Please be specific....like what are you doing wiht the stuff you find....

No pitch, just simply ask permission. If they say no, just move on to the next one. If they seem interested, but hesitant then you have a decision to try to build up a relationship and get permission or just move on.

i dont cold call exactly.
I am a contractor and if the house im working on looks promising i try to do a little research on the history of the house/land then present it to the owner and if they seem interested then i slip in that i would like to MD their property and that if i find anything that might be of interest to them ill let them know.
its worked every time so far!
I think that getting people interested in the history of their house or land is the key and if i ever do cold call then i will probably show up with some information/history on the location to use as an ice breaker

Honestly I'm a bit shy most of the time & have big trouble asking permission, So I send my wife who was lucky enough to be born with the gift of gab..:D

Depends on what I find at the front door. You've got to read the type of person that you're about to ask. I also take a quick look around and look for signs that the owner may be insulted. A very well manicured lawn with everything in its place is not a good sign. These people can be offended just by asking to hunt their property.

I usually start with a Hello! I'm a bit of a history buff and I find your place to be very interesting. Can you tell me how old it might be? Would you mind if SOMEDAY I was to use my metal detector? What am I looking for? I look mostly for old relics people might have dropped years ago. How do I do it? My detector has a computer that tells me what is there be fore I recover it. I use this flathead screwdriver[flash the tip of my screwdriver] to pop it out.

I do civil war relic hunting mostly. When I find a spot on google earth I think would make a good hunting ground I save a snapshot to a flashdrive. I take it into Kinko's or the UPS store have it printed and laminated. I take the snapshot and any information I have with me to the landowners house and maybe a spare bullet. I start a conversation about the civil war and metal detecting and show them a relic or bullet that I've found. I let them do most of the talking which is a very good way to learn about new areas and about local history in general. After some discussing I ask permission somewhere toward the end of the conversation. If I feel like they are as interested as I am in relics and hunting I let them keep a bullet or two and show them what I find at the end of the day. The most I have ever given to a land owner is a cannon ball.

I always tend to stop and mention "I've passed by your home many times while working on the road and I'm curious to know it's age" then i guess before they respond. some people are impressed i know, then i start a convo about local history if they seem interested and during that convo tell a few little stories about things i've found on similar sites. i have about a 1 in 8 go ahead ratio once i ask for permission. those who say no most of time say "oh \, you won't find anything out there" i respond with you'd be surprised and if they insist on no, i say thank you for your time and have anice day. i usually leave my business card as well.

i think i may start using the "lease" method i saw on here for farms... sounds like a great plan and i think it may work. if a site really shows promise, i have no problem paying 50 or 100 bucks for a years permission. just a few neat relics or coins will pay that back.

Owning a landscaping company brings me to lots of older properties and if I want to hunt it I'll ask permission... sometimes they say yes and then everything is cool those who are up in the air I'll ask them if they would trade for their permission.. a free snowplowing in the winter, some mulch etc,etc... it works :)

Funny, we've never had to ask. It seems they always ask us.

Either they see us out detecting and come over to talk to us, or we mention we detect during conversations with new people we meet and they contact us later.

Our landlord in CT was a land developer. He was always asking us to go detect property before they bulldozed.

I have gotten permission to hunt several old sites that were a little grown up by offering to do a little weed eating around the place in exchange. It has worked well so far.

Hey DonJuan,
I have asked and have also been knocked back. Some too have given me entry and i can put it down to this.

1. Be as sincere as possible and don't go to the door with a detector in hand, presuming you are going to get in.
2. I let them know who i am and where i am from, showing them a drivers licence. It's only fair seeing you know them and where they live.
3. I usually have a bottle of wine or chocolates for the lady of the house to say "here is something for letting me on your property", even if nothing is found.
4. Let them know what you may suspect and its value, then offer a 50/50 split.
Have a short agreement form ready in your car.
5. If you are part of a club then let them know and show them a membership as it validates you from a spontaneous loony off the street.
6. Ask if not today would a future date be possible to come back.

These things have normally gotten me on properties and besides that you have to expect some knock backs as it's part of the game.

JustLucky ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom