Can you age this bullet

detectinggirl

Hi all! I'm new to this group and metal detecting in general. My kids and I just picked up the hobby last month. Today we found this bullet about 6 inches underground in the mountains of Idaho. My research is leading me to a black powder 38/50. Any clues if I'm in the right direction? Or age? The 3 rings is leading me to believe it's not modern.
cbebbb9aee3ebba09fb05d0d1064ac90.jpg
c43d372c7d710b79cf033c54f94a6a9f.jpg
4351f0dd0e783ed5686bd6ca50af6b06.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Probably late late 1800s into the early 1900s. The little vertical lines in the main grooves are for crimping brass. So it may be black powder, but made for a cartridge round.

Looks factory to me with the lines in the cannelure. Hand cast bullets generally don't have that. Is it all lead, jacketed in copper or maybe plated? Hard ta tell from the pics. What's the tip look like?
Ya need a .001" dial caliper or something like to get a good measurement. Inch fractions don't work so well. And even with that there may be some deformities from impact. Although it looks to have had a glancing strike. If it's all there and weighs 231gr sounds 45ish. But a quick look at a bullet supply place will show that there are lots of bullets that weigh in around there.

Found two very similar not sure where they are. Both had same color but two rings and a tip. I will try and locate them. I am from western Washington in the cascades. My gun collecting buddy told me 1900s. Can’t remember the cal. Doubt any of that helps. But I initially thought old.

But I initially thought old.
It's really gonna be hard ta definitively say about age just from the looks/style of a bullet. Old style cast lead moulds are still being used. As are antique firearms in original and reproduction form that use both conical and round ball.
I can't think of any form of firearm that's not still in use to some degree. Jacketed bullets became more commonplace around the late 1800's to early 1900's.

What is defined as modern? :?:

As a non-fire-arms buff, I'll admit I can't put an exact date on that. I just know that it's not a pistol ball, or 3-ringer, or rimfire-vs-center-fire. And just doesn't "have the look". Yet I admit I can't put a specific scientific rationale on that. Just know that it's the type fired bullet that you'd find in any modern zone (park , school, beach, etc...) where you are NOT finding old coins at. Thus you dismiss the bullets as "modern" as well. Is that pre vs post 1900 ? I dunno.

I was just going "by the look". But can't cite chapter and verse on the type guns, the years, etc.... I'm a bit biased and simply poo-poo anything that's not the *obvious* older type. Could it be old enough to be commensurate with a barber or early merc ? I dunno :bighanky:

Back
Top Bottom