Remembering When Americans Picnicked in Cemeteries

Sven

Elite Member
During the 19th century, and especially in its later years, snacking in cemeteries happened across the United States. It wasn’t just apple-munching alongside the winding avenues of graveyards. Since many municipalities still lacked proper recreational areas, many people had full-blown picnics in their local cemeteries. The tombstone-laden fields were the closest things, then, to modern-day public parks.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articl...qpb961OJmN3MNIailHZBHc8XFGCAm9lpCwiZfE8T5llL8

Attachments

• cem.jpg
    cem.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 496
So true. Baltimore City had trolley lines to they're bigger cemeteries for that reason plus the obvious burials. Louden Park still has much of the evidence of one minus most of the rail itself.

I still see this among the Latin American population in the Southwest. We visit my folks and often see extended families having lunch with their loved ones. Its mostly around the holidays or Mothers/Fathers day etc.

In Mexico, especially on the Day of the Dead, people picnic in graveyards, and leave beautiful sugar skulls and treats on the headstones.

So here's a question. Would you feel comfortable detecting an old, rural cemetery that is no longer receiving interments?

So here's a question. Would you feel comfortable detecting an old, rural cemetery that is no longer receiving interments?

It blows my mind when people ask this question. Absolutely under no circumstances should one detect a cemetery and no one with any sort of integrity would even think of it.

A land owner told me to detect a cemetery that he owns. It’s half tombstones and half open plots that were never filled, it’s private property now so no new graves. I’m thinking about detecting the outside perimeter of the place when I run out of spots.

It blows my mind when people ask this question. Absolutely under no circumstances should one detect a cemetery and no one with any sort of integrity would even think of it.

When Big meows (former neighborhood stray cat) died, we put him in a pet cemetery. I would NEVER hunt where big meows last laid and is still laying, so forget HUMAN cemeteries.

I miss Big meows... :(

Josh

I wonder how many cemeteries have been torn up and unknown to the detectorist has detected and dug it up anyhow. I know for a fact I have dug in an area where they more than likely buried farm animals. That being said I personally have no desire to dig up human bones in my pursuit of digging up history.

I would even extend this out to suspected unmarked slave cemeteries should not be detected. This since a lot of them were never marked but were known by the locals and left alone. No cemetery should be detected regardless of age or condition. Such action would be a black eye on the hobby for everyone. My thoughts on this.

For the record, I'm in the camp of "one should never detect in a cemetery" but was just wanting to get an idea if there were conflicting thoughts on the notion.

To play devil's advocate. If one were detecting a cemetery and never digging more than a foot down, one wouldn't dig anywhere close to the bodies. Compare this to an Archaeologist who will have no problem digging up and analyzing entire bodies if "they" determine that there is enough historical significance.

Also, here's an interesting story about a detectorist in England who found a lead-lined coffin. Obviously, the lady "resting in peace" wasn't anywhere near six feet under.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQGheP1v2pg

For the record, I'm in the camp of "one should never detect in a cemetery" but was just wanting to get an idea if there were conflicting thoughts on the notion.

To play devil's advocate. If one were detecting a cemetery and never digging more than a foot down, one wouldn't dig anywhere close to the bodies. Compare this to an Archaeologist who will have no problem digging up and analyzing entire bodies if "they" determine that there is enough historical significance.

Also, here's an interesting story about a detectorist in England who found a lead-lined coffin. Obviously, the lady "resting in peace" wasn't anywhere near six feet under.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQGheP1v2pg

Finding a burial ground and a cemetery are apples and oranges. Sure if you detect around a cemetery that's one thing but when you detect in a cemetery that's a different story. The point isn't you'll dig up a body the point is it's a low life thing to do. In my opinion, to disturb the deceased while there are literally millions of other locations to detect shows what a piece of trash someone is

I am going to regret posting on this thread.. cemeteries graves are private property it belongs to the family members who bought the plots..

Many family members when they go to visit their love ones sometimes bury small keepsakes near the grave or headstone... I don't think they would appreciate someone with a metal detector swinging near their family member.

On another note a past member had gotten permission to hunt a old property... she got a high tone and proceeded to recover the target... if I remember correctly it was a silver ring the ring was not the only thing she found... she found part of a hand, bones of course...

I am going to regret posting on this thread.. cemeteries graves are private property it belongs to the family members who bought the plots..

Many family members when they go to visit their love ones sometimes bury small keepsakes near the grave or headstone... I don't think they would appreciate someone with a metal detector swinging near their family member.

On another note a past member had gotten permission to hunt a old property... she got a high tone and proceeded to recover the target... if I remember correctly it was a silver ring the ring was not the only thing she found... she found part of a hand, bones of course...

You just gave me the chills... :( No ring is worth that. :scared:

Ditto

That was one of the first lessons I taught my son when metal detecting: never go metal detecting in a cemetery.

Context: the first lesson he learned was the need to ask for permission and he had asked about getting permission to detect at a local cemetery.

Back
Top Bottom