Well. There goes my city park hobby

I guess I am lucky. I detect my oldest city parks all of the time, and I use a shovel because I can cut cleaner plugs with it. I am careful not to leave a mess. I wave at the police who patrol the neighborhood, I talk to the city workers who mow the grass and pick up the garbage. I pick up and dispose of the booze bottles, syringes, and other artifacts that the riff raff leaves behind. I cheerfully visit with the older folks who are walking their dogs,(just in case they live in an old house in the neighborhood that needs detected). No one gives a hoot and if they do, well that's just tough #$&!, because I am not damaging anything and there's not a thing they can do. I am so glad to still live in a (mostly) free state.

I made the mistake of going a little too late this week. Or my mistake was not covering up the led on my detector cause I got the cops called on me and the officer told me I was freaking out the old people in the senior living home next door. They got a call about a man with a red wand...lol...cop was cool about it but I left anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never been hassled until the "office manager lady scrammed me at one of our local parks. So what I do is go when I know she's not there. I asked the superintendent of park maintenance who gave me the scoop on her. That guy likes when I pick up trash and such. He said she's a mean alcoholic and on a power trip. So now I know which of the parks she's going to be and on what day.
Information is power.

.... I wave at the police who patrol the neighborhood, I talk to the city workers who.....

.... No one gives a hoot.....

MT-trashdigger, If I were to go ask those SAME cops & city workers: "Hi, can I dig up and alter the park, and take park features home for my own profit to sell on ebay ?" And show them the probable boiler plate minutia verbiage that disallows "alter and deface" and "harvest & remove". How do you think they would answer ? They would probably "give a hoot" and tell me "no". Eh ?

Thus, for a mere $100, I can be persuaded to *not* go seek clarification on this "pressing issue". Ok ? I accept paypal :cool3:

I made the mistake of going a little too late this week. Or my mistake was not covering up the led on my detector cause I got the cops called on me and the officer told me I was freaking out the old people in the senior living home next door. They got a call about a man with a red wand...lol...cop was cool about it but I left anyways.

A buddy and I once had a cop called when hunting in "more central located" park near downtown Dallas. It was a bright sunlight day, and let me tell you, this cop swaggered up in a protective mode with his hand on his holstered gun all the time, like it was a serious felony. We both got ran off, even though my friend only used a Lesche hand digger.

I never had such an experience before or afterwards. Most police actually show interest in the hobby. BUT,,,when a Barney Fife shows up, just leave.

MT-trashdigger, If I were to go ask those SAME cops & city workers: "Hi, can I dig up and alter the park, and take park features home for my own profit to sell on ebay ?" And show them the probable boiler plate minutia verbiage that disallows "alter and deface" and "harvest & remove". How do you think they would answer ? They would probably "give a hoot" and tell me "no". Eh ?

Thus, for a mere $100, I can be persuaded to *not* go seek clarification on this "pressing issue". Ok ? I accept paypal :cool3:

Either you missed my point or you are being deliberately obtuse. The point is, I don't ask. I just go about my business because I know what I am doing is perfectly allowed and unless and until I give someone a reason to complain about my activities, it will remain allowed. I have read our city ordinance and there is no boilerplate verbiage like you describe.

This is as close as it gets:
Unless specifically authorized by the city, no person shall intentionally damage, cut, carve, transplant or remove any tree or shrub, attach any wire, nails or other contrivance, allow any gaseous liquid or solid substance which is harmful to trees or shrubs to come in contact with them, or set fire or permit any fire to burn when such a fire or the heat thereof will injure the portion of any tree or shrub in any city park, cemetery, or on other public property.

and this:
No person shall excavate any ditches, tunnels, trenches or lay any drive within a radius of four (4) feet from any public or park tree without first obtaining written permission from the city.

As of now, no one in any position of authority can do diddly squat about my metal detecting activities in the public spaces in my town.

That man with the red wand. I love it! :laughing:

Anyone care to guess who this young Lad having a " come to Papa moment "
and later grew up to be a world famous Detectorist is ?

Attachments

• IMG_1954.jpg
    IMG_1954.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 296
Anyone care to guess who this young Lad having a " come to Papa moment "
and later grew up to be a world famous Detectorist is ?

:laughing::laughing:

Yeah, but see the difference is: I have since learned to do it *discreetly*. So as not to offend the squeamish folks ! :D

Oh there wasn't a sign. The park ranger just said "it's not allowed in any city park." What I posted above was from the city's parks and rec rules & regulations. It's the only rule I could find that might apply.

Metal detecting is not specifically named in the city's laws or rules that I can find. So. . . I have been doing it.

https://www.boston.gov/departments/parks-and-recreation/parks-rules-and-regulations

Our parks here in Connecticut say the same thing... it doesn't stop guys who metal detect parks...

You probably just were in wrong place at wrong time... try again :yes:

Our parks here in Connecticut say the same thing... it doesn't stop guys who metal detect parks...

Shame on you. And for a mere $100, I can be persuaded not to show those CT park people this post. Where you openly admit to having violated this section:

".... (e) dig up, cut, break, remove, deface, defile, or take any tree, bush, plant, turf, rock, gravel, building, structure, fence, railing, sign or other thing connected with such park of place; or ..."

I think they would agree that your actions also violate this one too :

" (f) disturb any bird's nest or eggs; "

But if I see that $100 in my paypal account by midnight tonight, I can be persuaded to keep this *just between you and I* . Ok ? :aok:

Shame on you. And for a mere $100, I can be persuaded not to show those CT park people this post. Where you openly admit to having violated this section:

".... (e) dig up, cut, break, remove, deface, defile, or take any tree, bush, plant, turf, rock, gravel, building, structure, fence, railing, sign or other thing connected with such park of place; or ..."

I think they would agree that your actions also violate this one too :

" (f) disturb any bird's nest or eggs; "

But if I see that $100 in my paypal account by midnight tonight, I can be persuaded to keep this *just between you and I* . Ok ? :aok:

Tom... I am not a park hunter... I stated that those that hunt parks here disregard this rule or whatever they call it.

Hell.. I deface grass every day with my zero turn mower

Tom... I am not a park hunter... I stated that those that hunt parks here disregard this rule or whatever they call it.

Hell.. I deface grass every day with my zero turn mower

Yep, zero turn is really great until you make that zero turn.

Steve

Back
Top Bottom