Advice on big detector upgrade

KatieKat

Hi all! I’ve been detecting for a couple of years with a Garrett Ace 200, and am officially hooked on the hobby. I detect multiple times per week and am ready to purchase an expensive detector up to around $1,000. I mainly detect anywhere around town (parks, playgrounds, schools, sports complexes, etc), but I also detect a few times a year in highly mineralized ground/ beaches/ high trash areas (old building sites, etc). I also want to start getting into water detecting in shallow fresh water, and occasionally in shallow salt water. What would you consider to be the BEST detector options for me? I’m willing to take the time learn all the new bells and whistles of these nicer detectors. All opinions would be greatly appreciated, as I have no friends with metal detecting experience. I’ve been mulling over the Equinox 800, and have been reading old threads on here, but could still use a little advice. Thanks! :)

Last edited:
Hi all! I’ve been detecting for a couple of years with a Garrett Ace 200, and am officially hooked on the hobby. I detect multiple times per week and am ready to purchase an expensive detector up to around $1,000. I mainly detect anywhere around town (parks, playgrounds, schools, sports complexes, etc), but I also detect a few times a year in highly mineralized ground/ beaches/ high trash areas (old building sites, etc). I also want to start getting into water detecting in shallow fresh water, and occasionally in shallow salt water. What would you consider to be the BEST detector options for me? I’m willing to take the time learn all the new bells and whistles of these nicer detectors. All opinions would be greatly appreciated, as I have no friends with metal detecting experience. I’ve been mulling over the Equinox 800, and have been reading old threads on here, but could still use a little advice. Thanks! :)

Well if your going to utilize the gold search modes or the added settings of the 800, then that's a good choice. I went with the 600, as I dont ever plan on hunting for gold nuggets and I'm not a big settings tweaker. Same machine performance wise though. I ended up buying an aftermarket shaft, the 15" coil, coil ear stiffeners, control pod cover, etc and now my 600 is OVER the cost of an 800. On a side note, there are a few new detectors coming out in the next year or so, including a new minelab machine. I'm patiently waiting for that :yes: good luck with whatever you choose!

I Own both The equinox 800 & 600 For Coin & Jewelry at The Parks & Salt Water Beaches I Don’t see any Difference in Performance between the two (for that type of Hunting)

Equinox is so Versatile @ the price point ….. it’s going to be hard to beat.

Yeah, with a budget of around $1,000, and the type of hunting you plan on doing. The Equinox series (600 or 800) would be my recommendation. As cellrdwellr pointed out, there a few new machines on the horizon that might be worth waiting for. Personally, I'm holding out hope that the new Nokta Makro multi-frequency machine is as good as they say it is...

After the comments here, and further online reading, I think I’ll definitely go for the 600. It sounds perfect for me. I won’t be doing any gold nugget shooting, and I’m unlikely to have the desire to tweak the settings. Any recommendations on “must haves” for accessories (search coils, etc)? Online info can be conflicting, so all tips are appreciated!

The only must have accessory for the equinox is a coil ear stiffener in my opinion. They're weak, lots of people have broken them and it's a good preventative measure for $20 imo.

After the comments here, and further online reading, I think I’ll definitely go for the 600. It sounds perfect for me. I won’t be doing any gold nugget shooting, and I’m unlikely to have the desire to tweak the settings. Any recommendations on “must haves” for accessories (search coils, etc)? Online info can be conflicting, so all tips are appreciated!

My 600 did not come with wireless headphones, most packages didn't, so I added the TROND brand headphones for around $60. They have been great! You DO NOT want the wired factory HPs Minelab ships with it. They snag every thing in sight. You will find out. If you are lucky you'll find a seller with a 600 which comes with the 6" coil also. A buddy of mine got the 6" coil included. That was a while ago.

About the HPs. The Minelab B80s sound mushy to me. I suggest not getting them unless they come free.

Last edited:
I have both the NOX 600 and NOX 800 For my go to detector for parks school tot lots it is the NOX 600 Default settings in Park 1 and only change it to 50 tones .. For the Gold prospecting and mountains area it is the NOX 800 can tweak some setting for ground conditions

If you get he NOX 600 I would be looking for that "NOX" Collek 5x10" coil ..Game changer

Send a Private Message we are just down in Merced County .So you can look and check out different types of detectors We have about a dozen different types and brands

I got the Equinox 800 since I had the cash from my tax refund back in 2018. I wanted no regrets and Man am I glad I bought it.
I think the Equinox 600 would be fine but I got top of the line in case I wanted to gold nugget hunt in the foothills.

I have both the NOX 600 and NOX 800 For my go to detector for parks school tot lots it is the NOX 600 Default settings in Park 1 and only change it to 50 tones .. For the Gold prospecting and mountains area it is the NOX 800 can tweak some setting for ground conditions

If you get he NOX 600 I would be looking for that "NOX" Collek 5x10" coil ..Game changer

Send a Private Message we are just down in Merced County .So you can look and check out different types of detectors We have about a dozen different types and brands

Is the 5x10 coil preferable because it can get into tighter spaces? I’m just north of you in Stan. County.

Yes the mid size coils helps to recover targets in trashy area .. Smaller foot print .. Parks and school areas you need more recovery speed not depth
Real trashy area sometimes a smaller coils 6" area helps with the foot print
Open area lees trash like soccer and baseball fields larger coil 11" is needed

“Raw performance-wise”…the two Equinox machines are seemingly equal. But as Tom in CA would like to say, the devil is in the details. And there are some details. A few things that are REALLY handy when you become nicely skilled with your Equinox…
1) The 800 comes with the WM08 WiStream wireless module and wireless headphones, the 600 comes with WIRED headphones and NO module.
2) The 800 has a “user button” which allows for very speedy mode changes.
3) The 800 has finer tuning of recovery levels.
4) The 800 has “tone bin” adjustments considerably beyond the 600.
5) The 800 has more levels to fine tune the backlighting.
6) The 800 has gold mode and freqs (you don’t need…right now)

In MY mind, if you are able to comfortably get the 800, do so. You will have EVERYTHING you CAN get with an Equinox, as opposed to going with the lesser model and wondering if you made the right call. If you are a coin hunter, you will want the adjustability of the tone bins, once you realize the value of having it.
Just my thoughts, having had 2 800’s and selling them both. Want to know WHY? Better P.M. me for that one…:lol:

Last edited:
Install one of Steve's carbon fiber shafts. Such high quality, removes all the shaft wobble, and that counter weight changes the balance and makes it easy to swing all day.

“Raw performance-wise”…the two Equinox machines are seemingly equal. But as Tom in CA would like to say, the devil is in the details. And there are some details. A few things that are REALLY handy when you become nicely skilled with your Equinox…
1) The 800 comes with the WM08 WiStream wireless module and wireless headphones, the 600 comes with WIRED headphones and NO module.

In MY mind, if you are able to comfortably get the 800, do so. You will have EVERYTHING you CAN get with an Equinox, as opposed to going with the lesser model and wondering if you made the right call. If you are a coin hunter, you will want the adjustability of the tone bins, once you realize the value of having it.
Just my thoughts, having had 2 800’s and selling them both. Want to know WHY? Better P.M. me for that one…:lol:
They are different in depth capabilities. I have both and have proven numerous times.

Counter points since the 800 costs right at half as much more than the 600 does.

1. The WM08. It's something I've only sampled for a couple of hours long ago and it's gathered dust ever since. I find it glitchy intermittently in connection during swing time unless perfectly located. To me, a good set of bluetooth 4.1, 4.2 or 5.0 LL HPs are far more sensible. The extra 25ms delay isn't noticeable IMPO. ***To me, the WM08 is the most overrated and over priced part of the 800 bundle***

2. The "second user button." This is actually something I do actually like, and use for my single 4kHz cross check program. That feature has merit.

3. Finer tuning on the recovery delay. Here again, I do use this feature. The latest 10x5 NOX coil works a little keener with a RD of 3 for deep seeking, and the 10x5 likes an recovery delay of 7 for really trashy surface coin missed by other coils.

4. The tone bins. I have no use for this option, the 50 tones in normal settings on the 600 works just fine with my ears. Being that I am a basic coin hunter, I hear coin tones naturally with no tweaking the bins.

5. Backlight. I have literally never used back lighting or darkness detecting...maybe used it a total of 5 times in close to two years. I agree though that the lower, added levels for brightness are nice when you feel a need. I just hunt in sunshine.

6. Gold mode. It will be something I will never ever miss, so the 600 treats me well.

So,. I simply can't see the 800 as economical to the general non-small gold flake hunters. I did want an 800 in the beginning, when they were impossible to get. The 600 has been great, and I realized I'd eventually feel a need for two Equinox units(a backup.) The used 800, with warranty left, was welcome when it came along. Price was great also. Buying the 600 first turned out being best for me.

Kate if your set on the Equinox, get the 800. The extras plus the extra settings are money well spent. One day you will thank me. Even IDX Monster agrees on this choice even though he selling his. This guy is light years ahead of the average md'r. And I suspect he selling his because he only digs signals an inch or two above hell's gate and that the Equinox will not do. However it will see targets down to 11 in or so and it really shines at unmasking shallower targets. Spend the extra now and avoid the (what if ) questions later. Good luck, Mark

nox major trouble with water leaks...
nox coil ears break....
nox faulty board trouble...
nox 85% use on here ...use what you want don't be like the rest..
do research if you stay away from salt water
then a at pro is the way to go cheaper and more reliable
i hate nox users me and mt at pro or my cxt3030 :lol::lol:

nox major trouble with water leaks...
nox coil ears break....
nox faulty board trouble...
nox 85% use on here ...use what you want don't be like the rest..
do research if you stay away from salt water
then a at pro is the way to go cheaper and more reliable
i hate nox users me and mt at pro or my cxt3030 :lol::lol:

Nox ? I believe the name is EQUINOX. Calling it the nox IMO doesn't do it justice. Like calling Richard Ricky or Theodore Teddy. Preference not withstanding. The machine has definitely proven itself and has earned the respect and even with a few flaws is at the top of the heap. I used an At Pro for a couple years and every site I went back too the Equinox found many more good targets. These days it seems nobody can get it all right, look at Mercedes, even Boeing. Just a sign of the times. I see you like your CTX, not everybody has that kind of money to spend and the Equinox fills the void, in many, not all ways. Mark

Nox ? I believe the name is EQUINOX. Calling it the nox IMO doesn't do it justice. Like calling Richard Ricky or Theodore Teddy. Preference not withstanding. The machine has definitely proven itself and has earned the respect and even with a few flaws is at the top of the heap. I used an At Pro for a couple years and every site I went back too the Equinox found many more good targets. These days it seems nobody can get it all right, look at Mercedes, even Boeing. Just a sign of the times. I see you like your CTX, not everybody has that kind of money to spend and the Equinox fills the void, in many, not all ways. Mark

I agree with Mark, not everyone can afford a $2000+ machine. I’ve never owned a 3030 but I hunted beside one with my Etrac,and saw no difference in comparing targets.
I have a Equinox and,some days I hate it,other days it’s the best thing going in my book. All depends on what I’m finding. I don’t think you can go wrong by buying one,considering everything on the market.
But even $950 for a 800 is a lot of dough,and you don’t need to spend that much to find great stuff. The 600 is pretty good in itself,can’t go wrong either way as long as your happy with your purchase that’s all that matters

I agree with Mark, not everyone can afford a $2000+ machine. I’ve never owned a 3030 but I hunted beside one with my Etrac,and saw no difference in comparing targets.
I have a Equinox and,some days I hate it,other days it’s the best thing going in my book. All depends on what I’m finding. I don’t think you can go wrong by buying one,considering everything on the market.
But even $950 for a 800 is a lot of dough,and you don’t need to spend that much to find great stuff. The 600 is pretty good in itself,can’t go wrong either way as long as your happy with your purchase that’s all that matters

X2!

Back
Top Bottom