Question Powerex 9.6 Volt Batteries

atomicbrh

Elite Member
I am using the Powerex 9.6 Volt 230 mAh NiHM Rechargeable batteries(the black ones) for the pinpointer, the Tesoro and many other uses in the shop. I have one going bad and will not hold the voltage it once did. That is probably expected since I have been using these batteries since the first week of December 2018. I am using the Opus charger that can condition, recharge and test.
Is there a better rechargeable 9.6 Volt battery out there today?

I've used the Ni-MH Tenergy 250mah batteries with good success. I bought mine from Amazon. Now they have Li-on batteries with 600 Mah that I would consider.

Cliff

I've used the Ni-MH Tenergy 250mah batteries with good success. I bought mine from Amazon. Now they have Li-on batteries with 600 Mah that I would consider.

Cliff
Once I started researching Li-ion, I saw some Li-ion batteries that are 1200 mAh but the maximum output is still only 8.4 volts with a standard voltage of between 8.2 and 8.4 volts for most brands. Some devices like cordless microphones are working down to 7.5 volts even with low battery indicators on. How would 7.5 volts work in a Tesoro or a Garrett pin pointer?

Once I started researching Li-ion, I saw some Li-ion batteries that are 1200 mAh but the maximum output is still only 8.4 volts with a standard voltage of between 8.2 and 8.4 volts for most brands. Some devices like cordless microphones are working down to 7.5 volts even with low battery indicators on. How would 7.5 volts work in a Tesoro or a Garrett pin pointer?
No idea, but I have run the Ni-MH batteries down pretty low with no issues. I haven't put a volt meter on them though.

Cliff

Those voltage readings for the batteries are usually nominal volts. So if its an 8.4v NiMH battery, it's actual voltage (especially when freshly charged) will be higher.

For example, I have a pair of of Tenergy low self-dishcarge (LSD) 9V batteries. They're rated at 8.4V, but I just tested them a few minutes ago on my voltmeter and they read around 8.97V. I charged these probably...6 months ago? And fresh off the charger, I think they read close to...maybe 10V, if I recall correctly. They have such high voltage, that I can run my Fisher F2 off of just one 9V battery, instead of the required 2.

"Regular" NiMH 9V rechargeable batteries will probably be similar with respect to their voltage, although it won't read above 8.4V for as long as LSD batteries will, though.

Those voltage readings for the batteries are usually nominal volts. So if its an 8.4v NiMH battery, it's actual voltage (especially when freshly charged) will be higher.

For example, I have a pair of of Tenergy low self-dishcarge (LSD) 9V batteries. They're rated at 8.4V, but I just tested them a few minutes ago on my voltmeter and they read around 8.97V. I charged these probably...6 months ago? And fresh off the charger, I think they read close to...maybe 10V, if I recall correctly. They have such high voltage, that I can run my Fisher F2 off of just one 9V battery, instead of the required 2.

"Regular" NiMH 9V rechargeable batteries will probably be similar with respect to their voltage, although it won't read above 8.4V for as long as LSD batteries will, though.
I ordered four of these Tenergy with a factory smart charger for $29.95 to the door.
I needed a backup charger in case my Opus charger went out and $30 is not much money in today's world.

I ordered four of these Tenergy with a factory smart charger for $29.95 to the door.
I needed a backup charger in case my Opus charger went out and $30 is not much money in today's world.

Did you get the regular Tenergy or the LSD Tenergy? The latter might have lower overall capacity, but they will hold their charge longer in storage. Depending on how often you use the device that uses the 9V battery this could end up giving you more run time in real world conditions.

Did you get the regular Tenergy or the LSD Tenergy? The latter might have lower overall capacity, but they will hold their charge longer in storage. Depending on how often you use the device that uses the 9V battery this could end up giving you more run time in real world conditions.
I got the LSD.

Good choice

Upon examination of the original packaging, the Powerex 9.6 Volt 230 mAh NiHM Rechargeable batteries are also low self-discharge supposedly retaining up to 85 percent of charge after one year in storage. My best Powerex batteries are reading about 11.3 volts.

Upon examination of the original packaging, the Powerex 9.6 Volt 230 mAh NiHM Rechargeable batteries are also low self-discharge supposedly retaining up to 85 percent of charge after one year in storage. My best Powerex batteries are reading about 11.3 volts.

Out of curiosity, how long has it been since those were last charged?

Back
Top Bottom