• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Minelab nox 800 finding a small silver necklace

quizzio

Hi folks , sorry for not posting for a long while was down with back issues but hopefully back .
Was contacted to help a lady who lost her silver necklace and was hoping someone could help me with the VDI numbers , I would guess it is on the surface but is in 4-6 in grass as it was at a dog training area , it is at a very old and large farm with probably many many pieces of everything there so the numbers I may get for the necklace would help me out , and I have been trying for years to get permission on this property so finding this necklace would help a lot ! LOL , Thanks in advance .

Hi folks , sorry for not posting for a long while was down with back issues but hopefully back .
Was contacted to help a lady who lost her silver necklace and was hoping someone could help me with the VDI numbers , I would guess it is on the surface but is in 4-6 in grass as it was at a dog training area , it is at a very old and large farm with probably many many pieces of everything there so the numbers I may get for the necklace would help me out , and I have been trying for years to get permission on this property so finding this necklace would help a lot ! LOL , Thanks in advance .

Well depends on size. Is it straight or balled up? I have found very small silver chains on the beach. But with black sand and salt water many things do not VDI correctly.

I suspect unless this neck chain is 1/4" or wider it will not VDI at silver.

The good news! If you can hear it, it will VDI above 0.

Hopefully she has the spot nailed down. But I find many people are never correct on the location of the lost item. GL

You can't trust VDI's on the Nox...I would set the Recovery Speed at 7 or 8, and Iron Bias to say 4 and would be in Field 2 with the sensitivity turned right down to say 10.

Your looking for a surface target, specifically one that give you a double hit as you pass over it...

You can't ignore the targets that are shown as deeper, but I would simply pinpoint them with the Nox, and then search the area with a good pinpointer...

If the pinpointer doesn't pick it up, it's too deep to be a recently lost item....

I would make a quick sweep over the area in case I got lucky, but then be prepared to grid it if that sweep does not turn the item up...

As others have suggested, very often the owner has no real clue where it was actually lost...

For me it would be:
Park 1
Maximum sensitivity 25.
Fe 0
Ground Balance 0 but use noise cancel.
Recovery 3.
Make the first sweep and if you do not find it,
go over the area again in wide open horseshoe all metal mode.
This has found very small, deep silver for me.
A lot of trash will be heard, but don't dig it, watch your depth indicator because it should be on the surface. The trash will be deeper than the jewelry.
Do you or the person have a similar necklace to check?
On something like this I am going by sound more than VDI.

Back
Top Bottom