• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

XP Deus

longbow62

Forum Supporter
As much as I love the Equinox 800 I'm kinda wanting another detector. Mainly a detector that is not so susceptible to EMI. To me that's the Equinox's worst flaw. I was hoping Minelab would announce a new flagship detector this year, but it's looking doubtful. I tend to hunt a lot of trashy sites. Square tabs, can slaw, nails, screws, you name it I have places that are extremely trashy. I don't get to hunt a lot of iron only site or trash free places.

What are you guys thoughts on the XP Deus in trashy places? I have heard just good in iron mainly. I know a guy who has been using one in some very trashy places and finding some good stuff, but I don't know how much junk he's digging to find it.

I have a bad shoulder so that's another reason I'm considering the Deus. Probably with just the 9" X35 coil for now, remote, and either WS5 or WS4 headphones not sure which are better.

It will be one of the best decisions you ever made on a detector. It is the fastest thing you will ever use and it is so light weight. You can swing a deus or orx all day without any fatigue.

I have owned plenty of other units from just about all of the major brands. The XP stuff is on another level. Yeah, your going to dig weird aluminum pieces with a deus as well but you will do the same with ANY other machine.

I think the equinox is a good unit. I had 2 eq600. But I sold them as they sure did false a lot in iron using it in multi freq. They were not good in iron to me. I consider them to be a coin machine in clean ground. I want more of a do all machine.

Your going to see a lot of people say to not make the change and keep your equinox.

I say keep you equinox too and go ahead and buy a Deus.

Or I would also consider the ORX as well. It has the same depth and recovery speed as the Deus using the same coil and frequency.

So if you want a little more simplicity go with the ORX.

If you want to program and tweak tones and such get the Deus.

The other good thing with the Deus is, you can use just the WS4 or WS5 headphones and the coil as a lite set up.

You cannot do that with the ORX though.

Anyways, which ever way you go I am sure you will be happy.

Oh and one more thing about emi....I find the white HF coils to be quieter and less prone to emi interference than the black x35 coil
It has the battery in the stem. I think that is why is runs a little more stable.

I have both x35 and hf round coils.

The X35 to me is more versatile as it can run from4khz to 26khz. The hf round coil runs from 14khz,31khz to 54khz.

What are you guys thoughts on the XP Deus in trashy places?

They are very good in iron and for older sites. I prefer my other machines for hunting where there’s modern trash, which is about 95% of the places I hunt.. but that’s just me. It is an excellent detector, though it really doesn’t do much that your Equinox can’t do IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For ergonomics (your shoulder strain) you can't beat the Deus. It is fantastic to swing it in open fields, woods, uneven terrain, large sports fields and playgrounds where I want to cover a lot of ground quickly since the Deus likes a fairly fast swing speed and for any area with sparse amounts of aluminum and moderate to mild mineralization. It is definitely a great choice for thick, shallow iron trash of course.

As for EMI, there is always a selectable frequency that will avoid EMI. I like the HF coils too. They seem more stable, and they have a better choice of frequencies for my area which skip over the low to mid 20 kHz range that is always full of EMI in my area due to military or air traffic control.........who knows. The 9" HF coil is ridiculously deep in milder soil conditions and has amazing target separation.

Personally, I owned an ORX twice and got in a lot of hours with it. For prospecting and relic hunting away from modern aluminum trash it was just fine aside from the super loud iron tone which can't be adjusted volume wise. Using the Coin Modes in moderate to thick modern trash was really hard for me anyway. I just could not get enough of the subtle audio nuances on overlapping targets like nickels, gold jewelry, pull tabs and canslaw or steel crown caps and dimes/quarters to enjoy using it in those situations. The Deus on the other hand, does have enough subtle nuances to give me good audio indications for most of those overlapping targets. Also, if you like features and adjustability, the Deus has almost endless possibilities for audio customization, notching, recovery speed, iron audio volume, audio response, available programs, customizable programs and you can even change the look of the display, etc.

Like Rattlehead, the Deus also would not be my first choice in dense modern aluminum trash, in moderate to high mineralization/saltwater beaches, for overall depth or for consistently accurate non-ferrous target IDs on deeper targets. The Equinox has proven itself for me in those situations as a better choice where I detect.

Okay I'm starting to have second thoughts because I do hunt most of the time where aluminum trash is plentiful. It's rare that I get to hunt iron only sites.

I think my 800's do well in the trash. I was looking for another weapon to maybe re-hunt all of the places I've worn out with the Equinox.

Okay I'm starting to have second thoughts because I do hunt most of the time where aluminum trash is plentiful. It's rare that I get to hunt iron only sites.

I think my 800's do well in the trash. I was looking for another weapon to maybe re-hunt all of the places I've worn out with the Equinox.

Why second thoughts?

You mean you can tell an odd shape aluminum or tin piece from gold with the equinox? I bet you can't.

It will be your loss though.

Loved my Deus and the only reason I still don't have it is I can't afford one anymore. Best ergonomic detector I've used. Amazing on gold and deep coins.

Why second thoughts?

You mean you can tell an odd shape aluminum or tin piece from gold with the equinox? I bet you can't.

I am not going to answer for Longbow62.

I will answer for myself since you made the answer easy. YES, I can tell the difference between odd shaped aluminum or tin piece from gold with the Equinox.

Had you asked me if I can tell the difference between the wide variety of US pull tabs and specifically gold rings that fall in the same target ID area.......not always. I have found 27 gold rings since buying my first Equinox and really learning it competently. All of them except for one (which was damaged) were unmistakably different from aluminum in their audio response and they had rock solid target IDs. Have I swung my Equinox over a gold ring and walked right by it....undoubtedly. I can do the same with most US nickels vs pull tabs. If I really listen the nickels sound harder and more defined most of the time than less dense pull tabs. Have I been fooled......absolutely but not that often. When I decide to dig and I think the target will be a nickel instead of a pull tab, the Equinox has usually given me the correct information to make that call.

The same is possible with the Deus if the aluminum trash is not too thick and I am taking advantage of the search coil techniques, programs and settings adjustments that make it easier to hear. Gold jewelry (again if it is not damaged) has an unmistakable solid sound on the Deus also which is usually less brash than most pull tabs which can also sometimes sound very mushy and elongated. US nickels vs pull tabs are a little tougher for me than with the Equinox. With the Orx in its limited Coin modes, I did not hear enough differences in the audio to really get much information. Pull-tabs, nickels and gold rings all sounded really good and really too similar.... The ORX again, is an incredible gold nugget prospecting detector and an excellent relic detector if there isn't too much modern trash. For coins and jewelry in moderate to heavily aluminum trashed areas......the ORX is not the detector I would pick.

Last edited:
. I was looking for another weapon to maybe re-hunt all of the places I've worn out with the Equinox.

I think maybe you need to start looking into new places and opportunities to hunt. Most success in this hobbie is due to the location and less about the machine. Just a thought before you spend good money to squeeze a extra nickel out of a worn out site. Good luck

I think maybe you need to start looking into new places and opportunities to hunt. Most success in this hobbie is due to the location and less about the machine. Just a thought before you spend good money to squeeze a extra nickel out of a worn out site. Good luck

I've got several really old places that keep producing. Not a lot but, still managing to pull some oldies every year. Was just wondering if the Deus might be the ticket to eek some more out of them.

Why second thoughts?

I don't dig a lot of trash with the Equinox. I'm not a gold ring hunter. So I don't dig anything that bounces between 13-14 unless it's really got some depth. I've got 5 Buffs and 3 V's on the year so I get my share of older nickels. I don't dig say 14-17 unless I'm on a iron trash only site. I will dig all 18-21 if depth is what I consider deep enough for IHPs. I find my share of them too. I dig very little odd shaped nonferrous or any screw caps or twist offs. I've got a lot of hours on the Equinox 800. Very seldom do get fooled on items in the silver range unless they are round. You can hear roundness with the Equinox or at least I think I can.

I am not going to answer for Longbow62.

I will answer for myself since you made the answer easy. YES, I can tell the difference between odd shaped aluminum or tin piece from gold with the Equinox.

Had you asked me if I can tell the difference between the wide variety of US pull tabs and specifically gold rings that fall in the same target ID area.......not always. I have found 27 gold rings since buying my first Equinox and really learning it competently. All of them except for one (which was damaged) were unmistakably different from aluminum in their audio response and they had rock solid target IDs. Have I swung my Equinox over a gold ring and walked right by it....undoubtedly. I can do the same with most US nickels vs pull tabs. If I really listen the nickels sound harder and more defined most of the time than less dense pull tabs. Have I been fooled......absolutely but not that often. When I decide to dig and I think the target will be a nickel instead of a pull tab, the Equinox has usually given me the correct information to make that call.

The same is possible with the Deus if the aluminum trash is not too thick and I am taking advantage of the search coil techniques, programs and settings adjustments that make it easier to hear. Gold jewelry (again if it is not damaged) has an unmistakable solid sound on the Deus also which is usually less brash than most pull tabs which can also sometimes sound very mushy and elongated. US nickels vs pull tabs are a little tougher for me than with the Equinox. With the Orx in its limited Coin modes, I did not hear enough differences in the audio to really get much information. Pull-tabs, nickels and gold rings all sounded really good and really too similar.... The ORX again, is an incredible gold nugget prospecting detector and an excellent relic detector if there isn't too much modern trash. For coins and jewelry in moderate to heavily aluminum trashed areas......the ORX is not the detector I would pick.

I do not hunt for gold. But I do for relics. So with that said, I know the pull tabs and pop tops and screw caps all kind of fall into a certain Id range.

But again, the eq squeezes a lot of conductors into a broader category.since the id span is what 0 to 50 or maybe 0 to 40. I cannot remember exactly

So I think it would be harder to tell trash from a good signal as easy on the eq numbering system.

But this fellow has an equinox already and wanted to pull the trigger on a deus and asking for thought.

So why not have both?

I don't dig a lot of trash with the Equinox. I'm not a gold ring hunter. So I don't dig anything that bounces between 13-14 unless it's really got some depth. I've got 5 Buffs and 3 V's on the year so I get my share of older nickels. I don't dig say 14-17 unless I'm on a iron trash only site. I will dig all 18-21 if depth is what I consider deep enough for IHPs. I find my share of them too. I dig very little odd shaped nonferrous or any screw caps or twist offs. I've got a lot of hours on the Equinox 800. Very seldom do get fooled on items in the silver range unless they are round. You can hear roundness with the Equinox or at least I think I can.

If you are not hunting for gold rings and such and wanting higher conductors then I believe an XP unit will benefit you very much.

I took an equinox 600 against a Nokta anfibio and walked down a path. I used the equinox in multi. The anfibio was on 14khz.

The anfibio hit a large lead filled rosette that the equinox did not sound off on. I think it was because it was littered with tin and old cat food cans.

I am not sure why. However it was a big decision maker for me on what machine to keep.

I think the eq units Excell In areas with mild contamination and more of a coin machine.

I find the XP units to Excell in areas with a ton of litter.

These are my two cents.

I sold the anfibio due to the weight of it. Have a Makro multi kruzer as well.

Use xp for my main machines.

Before I got my XP stuff I had only found about 6 musket balls from the civil war here on my property.

A couple with the fisher F75, a couple with the Makro units using a large 13 inch coil and a couple with an equinox.

I thought there were no more to be had. When I got an ORX I found 21 in the same exact area that the other units could not hit on either because of the depth in which averaged around 10 inches or they were in the same hole as iron. These are not the large 69 caliber ones either but the small 36 caliber pistol size and the small buck n ball type.

Since then I have added a deus. So if you could afford to keep an equinox and buy the ORX I think it could benefit your detecting.

If you are not hunting for gold rings and such and wanting higher conductors then I believe an XP unit will benefit you very much.

I took an equinox 600 against a Nokta anfibio and walked down a path. I used the equinox in multi. The anfibio was on 14khz.

The anfibio hit a large lead filled rosette that the equinox did not sound off on. I think it was because it was littered with tin and old cat food cans.

I am not sure why. However it was a big decision maker for me on what machine to keep.

I think the eq units Excell In areas with mild contamination and more of a coin machine.

These are my two cents.

Before I got my XP stuff I had only found about 6 musket balls from the civil war here on my property.

A couple with the fisher F75, a couple with the Makro units using a large 13 inch coil and a couple with an equinox.

I thought there were no more to be had. When I got an ORX I found 21 in the same exact area that the other units could not hit on either because of the depth in which averaged around 10 inches or they were in the same hole as iron. These are not the large 69 caliber ones either but the small 36 caliber pistol size and the small buck n ball type.

Since then I have added a deus. So if you could afford to keep an equinox and buy the ORX I think it could benefit your detecting.

Thanks my mind is far from made up yet. Wouldn't hurt to have one. Probably decide in the next couple of weeks.

These are my two cents.

I went ahead and ordered the Deus. 9" X35, WS4, remote. May sell one of my 800's later on. Deus always looked complicated to me. The Nox 800 is a super easy machine to figure out. Going to start reading up on Deus now so I'm not totally clueless when it gets here.

Good choice, great machine. Watch calabash diggers videos, he's got a million and he shows how to set it up,and how the settings work. I think the videos make the learning curve much easier

I agree with your decision Longbow62. Unlike bigtim1973, I am actually a long-time owner of both and have thousands of hours on the Equinox and the Deus. They are two very different detectors but having them both means I have all of the bases covered for sure. I respect and highly appreciate both detectors. I have found some amazing things with them. When I say something critical about them it is from a position of knowledge from experience and not because I have something against them or think one is inherently better than the other.

You can easily IHP and silver coin cherry pick with both detectors in all sorts of iron and aluminum trashed areas like curb strips and trashy public areas.

Both detectors have taught me to be a much better detector user. I really like the Equinox and it suits my hunting style and more of my hunting areas. I don’t like the Deus quite as much for my own subjective reasons, but I know I need it sometimes for iron infested relic sites that it really excels on, for quickly hitting large open areas cherry picking for gold and silver jewelry and clad recent drops and for high altitude gold prospecting or relic sites where backpacking and swinging a lightweight detector is a must have.

Bigtim1973, when you post challenge statements like “you can’t tell gold from misshaped aluminum with the Equinox” and “it is harder to tell trash from a good signal because of the Equinox numbering system” ( which is -9 to +40) I am going to respond with the facts as I have experienced them. Like I said before, it is not hard to hear gold rings and other gold jewelry on the Equinox if one KNOWS what to listen for and I only dig trash using the Equinox when I choose to as in I may dig an iffy or borderline sounding target ON PURPOSE or I may choose to dig every good sounding target in the pull tab range at certain sites so I won’t miss a potential gold target. Longbow62 and I have both reported that it is pretty easy to tell aluminum and iron trash from good targets with the Equinox after plenty of hours using it. Identifying clad, silver and older coins is just as easy along with non-ferrous relics. It just takes time on the machine like it does with any detector. The same goes for the Deus.

Bigtim1973, you don’t seem to like the Equinox very much and that is fine with me. You and many others on this forum are totally welcome to your opinions but I may disagree with them sometimes. We have gone round and round about the Equinox on several occasions. I am not posting here to convince you (or not) of anything since only plenty of time with a detector can do that. I post so others who want to know about the Equinox, Deus and ORX can hear about them from one persons honest perspective after thousands of hours using them at the places I hunt.

Longbow62, I believe that Calabash Digger has only made one video where he uses his Deus in a modern aluminum trashed site for coin shooting. I can’t remember the name of that video but I am sure it is still up on his site. It’s very good. A video that also really helped me with the Deus and aluminum trash is “How to avoid digging trash with the XP Deus” which is an XP Team USA video. The settings used in that video really work. Gary Blackwell”s xpmetaldetectors YouTube Deus video series is also great for learning all the functions of the Deus.

Last edited:
I went ahead and ordered the Deus. 9" X35, WS4, remote. May sell one of my 800's later on. Deus always looked complicated to me. The Nox 800 is a super easy machine to figure out. Going to start reading up on Deus now so I'm not totally clueless when it gets here.

Just curious, what made you go with the x35 coil over the HF coil?

Back
Top Bottom