Nox 600 questions

RockieBoston

I'm ready to upgrade to a Nox 600.

1. How light & balanced is it? I gave myself tennis elbow somehow. Spouse blames MDing and he's not wrong . . .

2. Are dealers in general willing to negotiate on price? Or is that $649 I'm seeing everywhere really firm?

3. I'm not a veteran. Any discounts for daughters of disabled Vietnam vets?! I know, it's a stretch ;)

4. What's a good price for a used one?

Appreciate the help

Rockie in Boston

Last edited:
1. I think that it's very well balanced (for me, some people think it's "nose heavy" though).
2. Check out the sponsors here. Bart at Big Boys Hobbies is great, as is Quality Metal Detectors. I bought an 800 from each of them and very happy with price and service. Give them a call and tell them you're on the forum.
3. See above
4. Used ones tend to go for close to what you can buy a new one for. If you could get a nice used one for under 500 I'd grab it.

1. I think that it's very well balanced (for me, some people think it's "nose heavy" though).
2. Check out the sponsors here. Bart at Big Boys Hobbies is great, as is Quality Metal Detectors. I bought an 800 from each of them and very happy with price and service. Give them a call and tell them you're on the forum.
3. See above
4. Used ones tend to go for close to what you can buy a new one for. If you could get a nice used one for under 500 I'd grab it.

Thank you!

1. How light & balanced is it? I gave myself tennis elbow somehow. Spouse blames MDing and he's not wrong . . .

2. Are dealers in general willing to negotiate on price? Or is that $649 I'm seeing everywhere really firm?

3. I'm not a veteran. Any discounts for daughters of disabled Vietnam vets?! I know, it's a stretch ;)

Appreciate the help

Rockie in Boston

1. I think its pretty well balanced, but its not very solidly built. I've owned my 600 for a little over 2 months and have already switched to carbon fiber shafts. Big improvement!
2. I can't answer numbers two and three because I bought mine used and I'm not a vet. I kept my eyes out for a good deal and I bought one (without headphones) for $475. Good price, but when you factor in the wireless headphones and the carbon fiber shafts I bought, that added about $200 to the price. All in all, I'm liking the machine, but it takes some getting used to. Good luck on your search and happy hunting!

Appreciate the help

Rockie in Boston

Hi Rockie in Boston,

Minelab and lightweight/balanced detectors are not synonymous in general. They have some really big beer cans in Australia too. However, for Minelab anyway, the Equinox and the Vanquish are about as ergonomically pleasing as it gets. The Equinox will be a bit more nose heavy than your Delta with an 11" coil attached. The hardest part many be adjusting to the hand grip. I wear padded, fingerless gloves and put some tennis/lacrosse tape on the grip for more comfort and to help remind me not to squeeze it too tightly.

If you really end up buying a Nox 600 and liking it, you may find that it turns into a real keeper. That was my experience so I did not mind trying to improve it a bit by getting carbon fiber shafts, a nice arm cuff cover from Doc's and the 6" coil. I can swing my Nox 800s for 8 hours or more with the 6" coil in some of the high altitude areas that I gold prospect and relic hunt. The 6" coil is also great for shallow saltwater surf hunting since it does not offer as much resistance to wave action or get nose heavy when covered with wet sand like the 11" can. Coiltek have also just released a nice set of coils for the Equinox. I have my eye on the 10X6 elliptical coil for sure. If it is anywhere as sensitive as the stock 6" coil it will be a very nice addition.

US dealers have just a little leeway on price. You might get one to bundle some items like a pinpointer, etc before you can get one to go much below $620.

If you have a military family member they can buy the detector with you and you will get the military discount. My active duty Navy son who also likes to detect, goes in with me on all of my Minelab detector purchases since I do not qualify for the military discount.

A good quality Nox 600 that still has some warranty left and possibly the 6" coil added and some wireless headphones may still be priced around $550. Anything less would be a bargain. A purely stock, gently used 600 with no add- ons might be around $450 or less.

It is almost not worth it to buy used considering the three year warranty.

Hi Rockie in Boston,

Minelab and lightweight/balanced detectors are not synonymous in general. They have some really big beer cans in Australia too. However, for Minelab anyway, the Equinox and the Vanquish are about as ergonomically pleasing as it gets. The Equinox will be a bit more nose heavy than your Delta with an 11" coil attached. The hardest part many be adjusting to the hand grip. I wear padded, fingerless gloves and put some tennis/lacrosse tape on the grip for more comfort and to help remind me not to squeeze it too tightly.

If you really end up buying a Nox 600 and liking it, you may find that it turns into a real keeper. That was my experience so I did not mind trying to improve it a bit by getting carbon fiber shafts, a nice arm cuff cover from Doc's and the 6" coil. I can swing my Nox 800s for 8 hours or more with the 6" coil in some of the high altitude areas that I gold prospect and relic hunt. The 6" coil is also great for shallow saltwater surf hunting since it does not offer as much resistance to wave action or get nose heavy when covered with wet sand like the 11" can. Coiltek have also just released a nice set of coils for the Equinox. I have my eye on the 10X6 elliptical coil for sure. If it is anywhere as sensitive as the stock 6" coil it will be a very nice addition.

US dealers have just a little leeway on price. You might get one to bundle some items like a pinpointer, etc before you can get one to go much below $620.

If you have a military family member they can buy the detector with you and you will get the military discount. My active duty Navy son who also likes to detect, goes in with me on all of my Minelab detector purchases since I do not qualify for the military discount.

A good quality Nox 600 that still has some warranty left and possibly the 6" coil added and some wireless headphones may still be priced around $550. Anything less would be a bargain. A purely stock, gently used 600 with no add- ons might be around $450 or less.

Thx for the advice. Going to get my pop to get the vet discount for me.

Discounts on detectors are just about always a given if you speak directly to someone on the phone. I've always gotten GREAT deals from Jeff at Quality Detectors, a forum sponsor. BUT.....you have to negotiate.

Hi Rockie in Boston,

I don't care if you have a relative that was military if you didn't raise your right hand and do your service or are a spouse or dependent child you don't deserve the military discount. This really hit's a nerve with me.

Retired 1SG rant

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom