Bottle and 2 jars

TommyJay

Forum Supporter
I love to bottle hunt, but unfortunately my storage space is limited. There are two places nearby along streams that have been good producers. The first one produces more whole jars and bottles than the second, but the 2nd has a better and larger area to dig in.

This pic is from the 2nd site (Ill post a pic of the finds from the 1st site later), and shows the 2 jars and the bottle I found that were in the best shape. The bottle was sticking out of the side of the stream bank, but unfortunately the top was broken off. Im not sure what kind of bottle it was (beer?) since Im a noob at this.

20210924_181746 (2).jpg

The two white jars are in nice shape. The larger one with the cap on has Woodbury embossed on the bottom with an art deco design on the side. Etsy says its from the 1930s, and is rare. The smaller jar just has an (A) embossed on the bottom, but in my opinion its cooler than the other by the way it looks.

Thanks for looking

Wish I had a stream I could bottle hunt in! I’ve only found broken bits here and there.

GLASSHOPPER1955 i bet will have info for you.

Wish I had a stream I could bottle hunt in! I’ve only found broken bits here and there.

GLASSHOPPER1955 i bet will have info for you.

Thanks GS. Whats nice is that this site hasnt been touched much, and a house once stood next to the stream. The other spot is on ranch land, and I was invited to go with someone who has permission. Bottle diggers tend to be very guarded about the spots they find, but a little research goes a long way in finding potential sites here.

Those two white "Milk Glass" jars were cold cream. The square one was probably Pond's as some even have that embossed on them. I find many of them when digging. Neither are "rare' (maybe the person on Etsy thought so or said that to get the price up?) but I sell these (and the cobalt blue Noxema and Vicks) jars frequently to women, who just like them, at the flea market. The tall brown one IS a beer. Only clue to dating or ID'ing this may be on the bottom. Possibly a maker's mark or date code.

Creekhunting is something I love doing, especially in Summer when the thicket gets too high to woods hunt. Keep digging and maybe you'll find some deco sodas or milks.:yes:

The broken beer bottle is a learning experience, an inspiration to appreciate old-timey beer bottle construction, and it belongs in the recycling bin. The little milk glass jars are fun to collect because they come in lots of different shapes, sizes, brands, etc., and are somewhat sellable, but not for much in my experience. I clean those up with soapy water and fine steel wool. Usually the lids are toast, but if yours is still solid, clean it up and keep it on the jar. What else can you dig up? Fun!
I have some like your smaller one that have an embossed monogram logo on the bottom that kind of looks like an A but it has an H too. Those are Hazel Atlas logos.

Those are some nice looking jars!

Thank you

Those two white "Milk Glass" jars were cold cream. The square one was probably Pond's as some even have that embossed on them. I find many of them when digging. Neither are "rare' (maybe the person on Etsy thought so or said that to get the price up?) but I sell these (and the cobalt blue Noxema and Vicks) jars frequently to women, who just like them, at the flea market. The tall brown one IS a beer. Only clue to dating or ID'ing this may be on the bottom. Possibly a maker's mark or date code.

Creekhunting is something I love doing, especially in Summer when the thicket gets too high to woods hunt. Keep digging and maybe you'll find some deco sodas or milks.:yes:

Thanks Glass. My buddy tried digging from the top, but the ground was too hard. This area is also known for rattlesnakes, so we keep our eyes open. I was using my Whites digging tool to ease some of these bottles out to avoid breaking. The two jars were laying in the creek.

The broken beer bottle is a learning experience, an inspiration to appreciate old-timey beer bottle construction, and it belongs in the recycling bin. The little milk glass jars are fun to collect because they come in lots of different shapes, sizes, brands, etc., and are somewhat sellable, but not for much in my experience. I clean those up with soapy water and fine steel wool. Usually the lids are toast, but if yours is still solid, clean it up and keep it on the jar. What else can you dig up? Fun!
I have some like your smaller one that have an embossed monogram logo on the bottom that kind of looks like an A but it has an H too. Those are Hazel Atlas logos.

Thanks! The A has some lines on either side and above it, and I thought it was just part of the design. Ill do some research to see if it is the Hazel Atlas variety.

Back
Top Bottom