Getting started, which machine?

It took longer than I expected, but I finally got my first MD this afternoon, Minelab equinox 800. I only had an hour before dark, and the pinpointer isn't here yet, so I started off with a pulltab, a misc piece of iron, and a nail. I wish I wasn't working tomorrow.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions and input.

Grizz

This is for the person who has no experience in metal detecting on what to buy and how to get started.

Today's modern metal detectors are more like computers (or more exactly modern signal processors). They are very powerful and often complex.

Buying one the best detectors out there, the Minelab Equinox 800 is a real mistake if you have never metal detected. Quite honestly it is too complex for you to learn in addition to learning how to metal detect.

Instead buy the Minelab Vanquish 540 for $379 for a packaged deal.
Why? It is simple to learn and it uses the same Target Id numerical range and tones as the Equinox 800. Use the 540 to learn the theory of metal detecting. The physics behind metal detecting is the same for all detectors for the most part.

Use your 540 for the first year. Once you are proficient (eg finding some good targets on a regular basis) then and only then consider the Equinox 800. But be prepared for a steeper learning curve. But it will be made easier by your year's experience with the Vanquish 540.

This is for the person who has no experience in metal detecting on what to buy and how to get started.

Today's modern metal detectors are more like computers (or more exactly modern signal processors). They are very powerful and often complex.

Buying one the best detectors out there, the Minelab Equinox 800 is a real mistake if you have never metal detected. Quite honestly it is too complex for you to learn in addition to learning how to metal detect.

Why? It is simple to learn and it uses the same Target Id numerical range and tones as the Equinox 800. Use the 540 to learn the theory of metal detecting. The physics behind metal detecting is the same for all detectors for the most part.

Use your 540 for the first year. Once you are proficient (eg finding some good targets on a regular basis) then and only then consider the Equinox 800. But be prepared for a steeper learning curve. But it will be made easier by your year's experience with the Vanquish 540.

The only thing complicated with the equinox is memorizing the symbols Minelabs uses for their controls.

The Minelab equinox is way more simpler than the old Garrett ads units that used reverse discrimination that you had to manually ground balance.

The post below is a little late……the original poster already purchased an Equinox 800. Hopefully they will continue to ask questions and update this forum on their progress with the Equinox 800.

The Equinox 800 and to a lesser degree the 600 are as complicated or simple as one wants to make them. Luckily, for a beginner, the online manual is outstanding. If they run into problems, resetting the entire detector to default settings or just resetting an individual mode is also super easy.

This is a Great thread, I've been using a LOBO Super TRAQ for years off and on. Only for general hunting, not GOLD. I have tested it on some GOLD I have, it will find small pickers.

Any way I'm looking for a detector that has a screen to show me coin I/D's.

I think the feeling from folks is the 600 is a #1 choice for newbies or part time hunters like my self.

The 800 seems to do all tho. I've read that the shaft is an issue but not the coil so this is also good info. Cheers.

Well this isn't before the days that Al Gore invented the internet. Minelab had put a lot of thought in to their presets for the 600/800 Equinox.

Now with those presets and a little YouTube, what used to be daunting, now can be understood much easier. Factor in a good close dealer and one can go from zero to hero in no time!

Well this isn't before the days that Al Gore invented the internet. Minelab had put a lot of thought in to their presets for the 600/800 Equinox.

Now with those presets and a little YouTube, what used to be daunting, now can be understood much easier. Factor in a good close dealer and one can go from zero to hero in no time!

I agree!

It took longer than I expected, but I finally got my first MD this afternoon, Minelab equinox 800. I only had an hour before dark, and the pinpointer isn't here yet, so I started off with a pulltab, a misc piece of iron, and a nail. I wish I wasn't working tomorrow.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions and input.

Grizz

Great choice! The Minelab Equinox 800 is an excellent machine!

This thread has made my mind up. Been looking at up grade from the Lobo.
I went with the 600. Comes Monday, I found a place with several targets but left them alone to try this rig on.

dont know if you hot a detector yet, but take a good look at the anfibio by nokta makro. i own one and love it, i also own an equinox. I split my time 50/50 on each unit

Back
Top Bottom