Once in a lifetime: Copper Culture Spear Point (Update)

congrats! Super Find. Those must be so rare. Where I hunt in Georgia I am not sure that the pre-historic Americans used any copper tools. I may have to do some research.

Were you using your 800? What did it ring up?

Man, that wouldn't even be on my bucket list, because I would never even think there is a chance to find it. Absolute beauty! Huge congrats!

Welcome to the Old Copper Culture Club! Find someone local that specializes in Old Copper Culture and have them look at it.
Thank you for your reply and the ideas. No Copper Culture Clubs near me. Would need to go to a museum for someone that may have some knowledge in this area. The internet seems to have very little info at least through my searches so far.
Wonderful find! I suspect this was lost thousands of years ago by an ancient relative of Tom in CA, visiting the midwest.
Appreciate and enjoyed your reply. You know John I had heard that Tom's forefathers did migrate to the west traveling through the upper Great Lakes areas as they hitchhiked their way to Southern Cal. Rumor has it that they lost all there old Coppers and Large Cents and the had an awful lot of them before they crossed the mighty Mississippi River.
Wow, just wow, that covers it. Congratulations.
Thank you for the response Chill. Wow says a lot for sure. Think I already said I was a little more colorful in my remarks. Trapper

Fantastic find Jack !! Congrats, your now rich in history. Got to tell ya, if I lived up there in Wisconsin, my total detecting focus would be on the ancient copper. Recently read an article in American Digger magazine (vol 17, issue 4) about the "Copper King" in Wisconsin, John Ruth. Good read on how he went from digging coins and rings to becoming the Copper King, along with pics of his many discoveries.

Wow Trapper! What a fantastic find! Huge congrats!
Thank you for the kind words Scott. I had a lot of dreams as a child of finding treasure. Who would have thought as a old man some of these dreams would come true.
Again congratulations! But i think you should tell everyone about the white water kayak trip we had. :laughing:
Mike there has been a few adventures we have shared this last couple of years. Some like the digging of this spear point are highs and I'll cherish to the end of my days. Others like the river trip I'd not want to relive.
congrats! Super Find. Those must be so rare. Where I hunt in Georgia I am not sure that the pre-historic Americans used any copper tools. I may have to do some research.
Were you using your 800? What did it ring up?
While Spear Points are not common Max, during the times before the birth of Christ the Copper Culture was a big thing. The times when the Native Americans began social trade among the varied tribes and sharing living skills. Tools and Pottery were developed in these times and were high valued items of want and need. Yes I was using the Nox 800 and the numbers were in the mid 30's at the start of digging and 38-40 after removing about five inches of covering, The Point was on a angle with the head up tail down giving a depth of about 6 to 9 inches. Trapper

Big congratulations Trapper and welcome to the club!
You can be sure that point is at least 3,000 years old.
There were many mines in Upper Michigan and the Native Americans travelled with the copper south into Wisconsin and further.

Attachments

• 5-16-18 coppers.jpg
    5-16-18 coppers.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 661
Absolutely superb. Classic find and once in a lifetime, but hopefully not of course.
Thank you Brewser for your reply. There is always the possibility of finding more artifacts like this but I also know that the odds are not on my side. But then again I thought this one was only a dream.
Very exciting, Trapper… knocked your socks off, I’m sure. How quickly did you realize what you’d unearthed?
Great question Jim. The truth is I knew as I soon as I had hands on it. I had a advantage though as I was with Air Force Mike when he dug his a few years back. I do know that I have high hopes in returning to that site.
Man, that wouldn't even be on my bucket list, because I would never even think there is a chance to find it. Absolute beauty! Huge congrats!
Appreciate your reply Sean. Native American artifacts are throughout this country although not all areas had Copper ore available. The Archic Period was a time of social trade development among the people of that time so there is always some possibility of making a find.

Jack & Jill.

Congratulations for a truly find of a lifetime.

Looks like I'm going to have to up my game.......;)

Truly an amazing find, steeped in history.. I wonder how many coin shooters walk over these because they don't give a big silver ID?

Absolutely superb. Classic find and once in a lifetime, but hopefully not of course.
Thank you for your reply. While it is highly unlikely to dig another there is always the possibility.
Very exciting, Trapper… knocked your socks off, I’m sure. How quickly did you realize what you’d unearthed?
Thank you Jim for the comments. Not only affecting the socks but buggered my shorts also. Truth is on ID-ing, as soon as I had eyes on it in the hole and immediately confirming upon having it in my grasp.
Kind words Sean, thank you. It has been a dream recovery for me as there have been a few dug through out this area. Since seeing my first it has always been on the wish list.

What surprises me about the Copper Culture in north America is that it never transitioned to using bronze.

I was speaking to an archaeologist while on a dig here in the UK, and he confirms very few copper tools are found here and he suspects the discovery and use of bronze happened fairly quickly....

Fantastic Dig Trapper! Just imagine the history of that weapon. It was probably quite a thing of beauty when it was freshly stone-hammered to perfection and (possibly)mounted on a spear shaft. It may have been a very successful hunting or even warring point for a long time too. Some say those long tailed points may have been used as an awl/knife, where the pointed tail end would stick out of the end of the handle, to be used as an awl tool. Another possibility is a harpoon point.
Makes me want to head north again. Congrats on your crazy cool treasure!

"Eye popping and mind blowing find" indeed! (that thing really could pop an eye out)

Back
Top Bottom