how "future proof" is equinox 600?

rezerox

I'm trying to finalize my choice for a new detector and i'm mostly certain i'd like a equinox 600.

technically it is more money than i was originally considering, but when i compared it to the vanquish 540 (and some detectors in that price range), it seemed like you just had so much more control and available to you that for the extra money, it should keep me covered for "a lifetime".

i mean that i would prefer to spend a little more now and have one machine that i can use for a much longer period, than to discover that a lesser machine leaves me wanting and that i'd be in the position of wanting to buy another machine and selling the previous one. i don't see myself as the type to own 3 different machines at this point in my life with the other things i have going on.

is this a false logic? is it sensible to think that the equinox would should last for the next 15 years? or does it make more sense to buy cheaper (if i'm not heavily using the machine right now), and see what comes out years from now?

we can't know the future but i have certainly found myself in a decision paralysis.

A few things.

First, if you really get into the metal detecting hobby, you will likely get another machine over the next 15 years. I highly doubt you're in a situation where after you buy the Equinox 600, buying another metal detector is impossible for 15 years.

Second, it's more likely that a machine will no longer be usable b/c it breaks as opposed to being obsolete due to its older tech.

Third, targets don't get harder to find just b/c newer technology gets released. This isn't bitcoin mining we're doing here. Yes, some desired targets are nonrenewable and are more easily obtained with newer metal detectors. But I don't think that's something you have to realistically worry about with the Equinox 600.

Fourth, the Equinox series of detectors use Multi-IQ which is, as far as we know, the pinnacle of simultaneous multi-frequency metal detecting technology. Sure, maybe Minelab or another company releases something better over the next year or two to us civilians (wouldn't surprise me if the military has higher tech stuff) but it's most likely going to be an incremental improvement when it comes to effectiveness in finding coins, relics and jewelry.

The bottom line is that you're overthinking this particular issue. Comparing a metal detector from 10 years ago to one from today is not the same as comparing a computer. The difference b/w a 2021 laptop and a 2011 laptop is pretty significant in terms of what each can handle in today's world. Think of metal detectors as more like cars. Yes, a 2021 model might get more MPG and have some better gadgets and safety features. But the 2011 model still has pretty good safety features, comparable gas mileage and overall performance (for what it's designed to do). In other words, the 2011 model will certainly holds its own on today's roads. Metal detectors are no different.

In the end it comes down to how well do you know your machine and hunting the right location.

a few things.

First, if you really get into the metal detecting hobby, you will likely get another machine over the next 15 years. I highly doubt you're in a situation where after you buy the equinox 600, buying another metal detector is impossible for 15 years.

Second, it's more likely that a machine will no longer be usable b/c it breaks as opposed to being obsolete due to its older tech.

Third, targets don't get harder to find just b/c newer technology gets released. This isn't bitcoin mining we're doing here. Yes, some desired targets are nonrenewable and are more easily obtained with newer metal detectors. But i don't think that's something you have to realistically worry about with the equinox 600.

Fourth, the equinox series of detectors use multi-iq which is, as far as we know, the pinnacle of simultaneous multi-frequency metal detecting technology. Sure, maybe minelab or another company releases something better over the next year or two to us civilians (wouldn't surprise me if the military has higher tech stuff) but it's most likely going to be an incremental improvement when it comes to effectiveness in finding coins, relics and jewelry.

The bottom line is that you're overthinking this particular issue. Comparing a metal detector from 10 years ago to one from today is not the same as comparing a computer. The difference b/w a 2021 laptop and a 2011 laptop is pretty significant in terms of what each can handle in today's world. Think of metal detectors as more like cars. Yes, a 2021 model might get more mpg and have some better gadgets and safety features. But the 2011 model still has pretty good safety features, comparable gas mileage and overall performance (for what it's designed to do). In other words, the 2011 model will certainly holds its own on today's roads. Metal detectors are no different.

In the end it comes down to how well do you know your machine and hunting the right location.

excellently put!

I appreciate you taking the time to make such a well thought response, and it makes complete sense.

That sounds exactly like me, overthinking an issue to death.

My background is in computers, so that is exactly how i was thinking about detectors,
that each new jump in technology was able to find more that others couldn't see due to .... *Metal detector magic I don't understand*

Glad to hear you can't really go wrong with any particular choice. I'll take your advice, stop worrying and learn to love the bom... spend more energy on detecting.

Thanks!

About the time you pull the trigger and it comes to your door, another company will release a new unit that hits the scene and poof!!! But don't worry I am sure you will do just fine with the equinox 600. I had a couple. I like the large screen and it is balanced well.

About the time you pull the trigger and it comes to your door, another company will release a new unit that hits the scene and poof!!! But don't worry I am sure you will do just fine with the equinox 600. I had a couple. I like the large screen and it is balanced well.

you're killing me here!

thanks, i keep hearing such great things so i'm sure it's a good investing for the foreseeable future.

I agree with this. I love my Equinox 600 and it does everything I need it to. I don't feel like I need to upgrade anytime soon. BUT... that doesn't mean I'm not going to have detector envy for some of the new detectors that will be coming out in the next couple of years. So the 600 will definitely meet your needs for some time but if you get as addicted to this hobby as many of us you will likely want more.

Other than maybe wanting an Equinox 800 after learning a lot about the 600, you should be set for quite awhile. I have had my Equinox since the first month they were produced and unlike others who contribute to this and other forums, I was one of the lucky ones that has had zero problems and totally meshed with the Equinox 600 and 800. That doesn’t mean that it was an easy transition. It just means that the detectors I had been using (Minelab X Terras and Whites multi tone detectors) made it a much easier transition.

I can easily see the present Equinox 600 and 800 lasting 10 years or more both because of their cutting edge technology and features and because they actually are made pretty well. They will certainly keep challenging me for that long.

Eventually there will be an Equinox 1000, a simultaneous multi frequency detector from Nokta Makro and a more advanced SMF from Garrett and maybe XP too. We have a lot to look forward too

Even if they come out with new models it doesn't mean you will need/want a different model. A lot of guys are still happy and productive with older "outdated" detectors. It's not like an old computer that won't work right. Finding a detector that makes your time enjoyable is what really matters.

Personally, if I were going to buy a Nox and intended hanging on to it for 10 years plus, I would buy the 800...

I say this because I believe the extra adjustments/fine tuning give it an edge over the 600, and also if ML ever offer a significant software upgrade to the platform, they could conceivably offer more/better features to the 800 over the 600....

Personally, if I were going to buy a Nox and intended hanging on to it for 10 years plus, I would buy the 800...

I say this because I believe the extra adjustments/fine tuning give it an edge over the 600, and also if ML ever offer a significant software upgrade to the platform, they could conceivably offer more/better features to the 800 over the 600....

That's a good point. I'll have to look over the 800 again to try and decide if the features would be something i may want later on. That's why i even jumped from the simplex/vanquish/apex machines to the nox, trying to prevent the problem of wanting more later and not having it.

I use a Deus. It is considered an outdated machine since it is over 10 years old.

I would not worry about future proof personally.

I know this is an equinox thread but remember this too. Once you get into the hobby you will start buying other units too.

So again don't worry about the latest thing. A ton of units when released have bugs as well or flop totally.

I use a Deus. It is considered an outdated machine since it is over 10 years old.

I know this is an equinox thread but remember this too. Once you get into the hobby you will start buying other units too.

So again don't worry about the latest thing. A ton of units when released have bugs as well or flop totally.

it's a tough one for me, because i keep looking at the machines as if they were shop tools basically. i like to buy one high quality item, take care of it, and have it last a long time and do the job well.

i appreciate all the input from everyone to help me.

I have both and have jelled with the Deus over my 600. Yesterday’s beach hunt.

Attachments

• 4214DEC3-FFDD-4E5D-947E-A8268D44CA4B.jpeg
    4214DEC3-FFDD-4E5D-947E-A8268D44CA4B.jpeg
    129.8 KB · Views: 304
There is a vast difference between need and want. Six months after i purchased my first detector minelab quit making it. I gave serious consideration to the Equinox BUT my machine still finds targets. I suspect the nox might be a bit deeper and better separation and recovery speed but is it enough better to justify the investment. For me most likely not.

Even if they come out with new models it doesn't mean you will need/want a different model. A lot of guys are still happy and productive with older "outdated" detectors. It's not like an old computer that won't work right. Finding a detector that makes your time enjoyable is what really matters.

This above is so true!

I waited a while before I made the switch to an Equinox. Even with this switch from a GT Sovereign there are conditions in Salt Water where the GT Sov. beats the Equinox.

If I still wanted to dig everything I would own both of my GT's yet. but my goals have changed and so has my age and I can not dig it all any more.

The Equinox is a good machine. Power, weight, coil choice, range of places where it is effective, warranty, dealer network.

It will be a while before a machine makes an Equinox outdated.

Back
Top Bottom