6 month noob reveiw on V3i...

(Heavy)

Elite Member
Logged enough hours, dug enough pulltabs and was asked to give my honest opinion on whites V3i. So here goes the good the bad and the ugly. Try not to compared it to any other machine, I'm only telling my personal experience on this one model. Lets just assume yours is better :lol: and talk about V3i for those who are thinking about the investment.

Things I like in the order I found them appealing...
The good

It's American made, I choose to try and buy from companies who still have a factory in the USA and don't fault them for importing all the components. Heck if they can survive this countries regulations to operate a business that gets me to a least consider their products.

It is well built, light weight, balanced and appeals to the sense of symmetry. Feels right, no slop in the rod connectors, stock coil is rugged, display is large and brilliant with a zoom feature if you need it. There is a detailed manual built into the software and explanations on everything on screen with just a back flip of the toggle, no manual needed. The case and accessories are equally impressive as far as quality and construction.

Controls are within your index finger and thumb reach without you leave the grip and the main adjustments are made on the fly (programs, sensitivity, volumes, filters, analysis etc.) all managed while you are still swinging the coil.

Rechargeable battery is strong and you wear out before it runs out. The charger is rugged and its LED's keep you posted. It won't over charge and battery temperature is controlled during charging. Unless you force it hot by lifting it from the cradle (not recommended) but you might be in a hurry.

Warranty and service from Whites is outstanding. A no questions ask, (we ship a new one today) put the old one in the prepaid labeled box is Whites policy. Overly friendly sales and tech support with great attitude is rare. The only thing they screwed up was continuing to replace my coil more than once. So now I have to call them and ask if they want the extra one back. I would not be surprised if they say keep it, that's just how cool they are.

We are not talking about the VX3 (scaled down version) the V3i is for the geek in you. If you want the same platform but cost less VX3 might be something you should consider. V3i is way overkill on the things you can customize and adjust. However when you go nuts and get in over your head a simple restore for each individual pre-installed program gets you back in style. You can even build a custom program entirely from scratch and add it to your library then tweak and restore it if you screw it up... unbelievable. Software is off the charts and this is going long so just know you can change everything, even display themes. Target ID, pinpoint, audio tones, analysis, all the expected technical features are as simple or as complicated as you want them to be. You have the power of the engineers who built it.

Whites has a stand alone technical forum where you can speak to the software engineers if you like. Any issue will be address promptly and Robert the moderator will put up with no monkey junk so be warned, he just bans me on sight :lol: It's all Whites business all the time, comforting but boring.

Now the bad

The display is too bright. There are 20 levels of backlight and level one is not acceptable for night hunts. So bright is the display at night that you can't see the ground and your face is visible for a mile :lol: I put a women's black knee high nylon sock on the headsup for night hunts so I wouldn't fall down a well until someone suggested switching themes. So I guess that was my bad not Whites.

You must tip the coil to the sky to get the battery to slip out of the console. There is no grip or hook to pull it out and you run the risk of dropping the battery. I have a tiny sticky bookmark (post it type cellophane tab) placed on the topside, tail end, of the battery to grasp and retract it... solves this risky move.

I don't use the wireless headset but tried once and was uncomfortable in the isolation (fear of being unaware of my surroundings) so I have no report on the wireless features, sorry no review.

The ugly

I had two warranty issues initially (battery fail) no I didn't drop it :lol: and it came with a extra standard battery compact so I wasn't shut down during shipping, I used my own rechargeable batts during the process.

I had the stock (D2 coil fail) but again I had initially purchased a 6x10 eclipse coil and lost no hunt time. I guess if I didn't have use of the 2 year warranty I couldn't report on the service.

This is a 6 month review on my Whites V3i history for anyone who thinks this machine is in their future. I feel pretty good about the purchase over all.

E-Trac is another thread please
seven.jpg

Thanks for the review, I have been think about adding a new detector to the collection, I would also like to know what you think about it in the field and if you think it was worth the price ?

Thank you for that.
Now, how about any info on the in-the-field stuff.
Depth
Accuracy
That polar plot feature...

Stuff like that.

:lol: I didn't expect anyone to read all that except the one who ask, but sure if you want one more full page I can rattle on about how useful the 3 frequency display is and how I love the way it takes all three and displays one VDI number so you can quickly build a memory base for metals in your head. I like to watch the color graphs and rely on those three colors to sort things like all the different penny compositions and various bottle cap signatures.

But you can turn on a bottle cap feature and never have to care if you are not curious. You don't have to look at different ways of seeing the target with analysis if you like basics or maybe you just want tones and never look at the display. It's all how you build your programs, choose a certain tone for each signal if you desire. Like a PC you build what you like to hunt with, then if you get bored toss it off and do something entirely different... like this screen name.

I see a machine that I will never get bored of and to some that might be frustrating but for me personally I find V3i as addictive as the hobby itself.

In the first 6 months I have settled into a program that shows me everything my coil passes over but does not over load me with sound in the process. I choose the three freq option and let the V3i calculated a single VDI number report for me and have dug out every report at one time or another and many times dig it again to be certain the probability that it is what it reports to be consistent enough I can move off that target and not have that feeling you missed something.

So many things I don't have any idea about yet like salt water, fresh water or high mineral use. I am still learning precious metal signals as I find them, like white gold looking exactly like a nickel :shock: Maybe I'm not the one to give the guy a technical report. He can get all that from a long time owner but he ask me because he saw my awesome custom avatar :lol: and I wasn't going to do all this in PM and have another potential V3i buyer ask me again down the road.

Depth? is it deep? yes it's way over my head but I like it for that very reason... not boring :lol:

Price? is it too pricey? yes all the good stuff is

Do I use it? almost everyday. Do I use it to its full potential? :lol: No, no one ever will and the engineers knew this when they made V3i. This is a one of a kind machine that can't be topped for owner customization capability and has actually been scaled back in the following version. But Whites had to prove it could be done so all the people who wanted more, more, more could know they had all technology had to offer to date and could manipulate it. But even if technology changes and it will, they will never give so much access to a user in their software again, it's just not cost effective to build all that in for the customer in the new world market. This software interface will no doubt become the V3i's legendary signature in the industry over time < prediction noted :D

Also it should be noted I turned down a chance to hunt my buddies tear down property from the slavery days before he put down new sod, i just have no interest in old coins right now. I'd rather find your ring in the park and a Tesoro could have suited me fine but I will never part with the V3i because of its unique engineering. Figure out what kind of hunter you are before you buy any machine unless you are becoming a collector of machines :)

I can change the name of this thread to V3i 6 month noob review if you insist

time to
seven-1.jpg

I was a little disappointed to find that the graph that showed the probable metallic composition of each target (probable iron content, etc.) didn't give enough info to distinquish the sta-tabs from nickels. I would love to have one, but I'm on a Compadre budget.:lol::lol:

Back
Top Bottom