• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Coil upgrade for ACE 250 SPAZING!

(Heavy)

Elite Member
I think this is the right section for help, I bought a DD coil for my 250 the other day and its a little freaky. I don't think its controlable and I have been trying :no: I put my stock coil back on to see if everything is cool again.
I will show you rather than explain, maybe you guys see something i dont. It does not matter where I take the new DD it will spaz out. I really wanted one of these bigger coils for my ACE but this one might be bad or maybe they sent the wrong one for the ACE 250?

LOVE MY ACE 250 but the new DD coil... not so much LOL

please have a look at these vids and tell me where i'm messing up.

thanks for your help in advance

Garrett 8.5 x 11" DD
PROformance Search Coil
(ACE 150, 250 & ACE 350)
Cat# 14-2222000

I think you have the wrong coil. I bought the excal EQ 2 for mine (it looks nothing like what you have) and it works well but not in real trashy areas. That coil does not look like it belongs on that unit.

I would call the place you bought it from and explain to them the situation with the coil. I'm sure they would replace it for you seeing how you just bought it. I'd say there is something wrong with the coil. It is possible they sent you a DD coil for the AT Pro. Hope you get it straightened out. Keep us posted.

I would call the place you bought it from and explain to them the situation with the coil. I'm sure they would replace it for you seeing how you just bought it. I'd say there is something wrong with the coil. It is possible they sent you a DD coil for the AT Pro. Hope you get it straightened out. Keep us posted.

Its KellyCo's and i linked Jamie a PM of the vids... I bet their technical people will see something is a miss.

Its KellyCo's and i linked Jamie a PM of the vids... I bet their technical people will see something is a miss.

Jamie is top notch. She will get it taken care of. Maybe Kellyco's technical dept will have some suggestions for you to try after they watch your vid's.

I doubt this is the problem but it is always a good idea to have a detector with an adjustable ground balance if using other than stock coil, they will usually work but it is better if you can "tune" the coil to the detector so to speak.

I think you have the wrong coil. I bought the excal EQ 2 for mine (it looks nothing like what you have) and it works well but not in real trashy areas. That coil does not look like it belongs on that unit.

Sonny I checked the cat number and my order again and this is the right coil for the 150, 250 and 350. must be something else going on, it looks just like the one in their picture too.

Garrett 8.5 x 11" DD
PROformance Search Coil
(ACE 150, 250 & ACE 350)
Cat# 14-2222000

Was the coil look new, not a scratch & dent or a refurb???? ( I didn't watch the video's my internet connection is too slow).

It is not an At Pro Coil. The At Pro has a special connector and there is no way to connect to the Ace 250. The coil may look the same but they are not. However, the DD coil for the Ace 350 is supposed to interchangeable with Ace 250. Looks like you just may have got a bad coil.

Jerry

Was the coil look new, not a scratch & dent or a refurb???? ( I didn't watch the video's my internet connection is too slow).

yes its new, never been wet and the packaging looked ok. when i first installed it the other day I thought it a little unstable but yesterday it was obviously messing with my 250. So i took it for a drive out of my neighborhood thinking there must be some freakish electrical field around my house but it did not matter where i tried to use it. I'm glad i kept my stock one because i was going to give it to a guy here who said he needed one bad.

I'm happy to swap it out with KellyCo or they can test it, fix it whatever right? It must be the new coil, look how stable my machine is with the original coil. Things happen, it's cool. I have much trust in the sense of fair play I've witnessed here with dealers.

I would say you have gotten a defective DD coil.
I put the EQ 2 Pro Excellerator DD on my Ace 250 and it works perfect.
Others here have gotten the Garrett DD for their Aces and have not had problems like that.

I would give them a call and see what they will do for you, worse come to worse give Garrett a call.

Your machine is stable with the stocker on it and haywire with the DD, the DD is most likely the cause.

It is not an At Pro Coil. The At Pro has a special connector and there is no way to connect to the Ace 250. The coil may look the same but they are not. However, the DD coil for the Ace 350 is supposed to interchangeable with Ace 250. Looks like you just may have got a bad coil.

Jerry

Good point about the AT Pro connector being different from the ACE. Didn't know they were different. That eliminates the possibility of it being the wrong coil for the ACE.

Ok let me get Raul or Wanda to come have a look! If it's defective we will get a new one out to you...no worries!

Thank you for taking a look and the prompt reply. I'm not looking for a refund, I want to try again to upgrade my ACE. I'm willing to pay for the shipping back if you just tell me where to exaclty. Are these coils tuneable? Is there anything I can do to make adjustment here. I'm going to put it on once more and drive it away from my house in case there is massive amout of radon blowing up through my property or new cell phone tower pointing down my block. Maybe an alien ship has landed in the woods behind my fence.

Chief says the spirits are angry
jackchief2.jpg

NO, he's got the right coil...it's a Garrett DD coil, just like mine. It will act differently than the stock one. I am just getting comfortable with mine again and I have put 20+ hours on it since I put it on.

First thing though Chicago - get that coil wire tighter or it will freak out. Mine did until I got some velcro and wrapped it in a couple places.
Secondly, run in factory default sens or 1 bar less.

Try these two things... and PM me if you'd like.

First thing though Chicago - get that coil wire tighter or it will freak out. Mine did until I got some velcro and wrapped it in a couple places.
Secondly, run in factory default sens or 1 bar less.

Thanks Robbie for the help, I only had the coil wire like that because i was swapping them back and forth, I had wrapped it already prior to making movie and it still spazed. I have no problem backing down sensitivity a notch and frequently do that with the stock coil. I like that there is good sensitivity with the ACE and you can't run maxed out, it makes me feel there is good range built into the machine. However I just got back from installing the new DD and wraping it up properly around the shaft and drove it out of my neighborhood for one more attempt to keep it.... FAIL :lol:

This particular coil is a (no go) so i'm moving on. Hey Robbie my new V3i is on the way bro :neo: with a Garrett PP, extra big coil and shaft, hipmount, long scoop and a bunch other freebies KellyCo tossed in. Should be a pretty fun delivery day next week. Maybe do an out the box video, i like those kind of video's don't you?

Thanks Robbie for the help, I only had the coil wire like that because i was swapping them back and forth, I had wrapped it already prior to making movie and it still spazed. I have no problem backing down sensitivity a notch and frequently do that with the stock coil. I like that there is good sensitivity with the ACE and you can't run maxed out, it makes me feel there is good range built into the machine. However I just got back from installing the new DD and wraping it up properly around the shaft and drove it out of my neighborhood for on more attempt to keep it.... FAIL :lol:

This particular coil is a (no go) so i'm moving on. Hey Robbie my new V3i is on the way bro :neo: with a Garrett PP, extra big coil and shaft, hipmount, long scoop and a bunch other freebies KellyCo tossed in. Should be a pretty fun delivery day next week. Maybe do an out the box video, i like those kind of video's don't you?

Well, Garrett has been known to turn out lemons once in a while... (I know I'll get flamed AGAIN for that!) but as long as Kellyco works with you and gives you an RMA # so you don't have to pay any shipping, then I guess it's all good. I hope you get a DD that works for ya! Mine is working good for me.

It sounds like that delivery day WILL be a good one for sure! I can't say as I have ever watch any unboxing vids. My 'puter is a tired old Toshiba Satellite and vids are kinda slow on it so I don't do vids much. BUT I'LL WATCH YOURS!!! Looking forward to it in fact.

Just watched the vid, mine will do that too...

If I turn it on inside the RV. I have to go outside to turn it on. Defaulting it worked the one time I had this happen outside...

If I turn it on inside the RV. I have to go outside to turn it on. Defaulting it worked the one time I had this happen outside...

I can't wait to live your gypsy lifestyle Mike... maybe we go prospecting together in the not so distant future. Or do some of the finer beaches. You know they opened Chicago beaches yesterday only to have to close them because all the low life gang activity turned out to spoil it for people. It won't be long now and I will be saying this to Obama town.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSGqQPUDb9s

Yeah, I hear ya on the gangs sh!t. Low life waste of oxygen if you ask me... As far as the "gypsy lifestyle", it ain't all it's cracked up to be... it's good but we aren't retired, the wife works and I am looking for a job. The wife's job is in Panama City, we stay in Panama City Beach when she works and then we go to her sister's in Santa Rosa Beach when she's off. We have 11 acres in Freeport but the road into our piece of property is a dirt/sand road and we can't take the RV on it. So we are working on finding out how to get the road paved as we were told that it was supposed to be when we bought the land. But I do love living in the RV and it's sure nice to have your home with you no matter where you are. Of course, Diesel prices are killing us right now.

Back
Top Bottom