• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Vanquish

woodbutcher

Forum Supporter
I’ve been putting some time on this machine,not a lot but an hour here and there between weather and work.
I bought the 540 and took it to my most unproductive site and expected miracles.I kinda struck out and almost dismissed the vanquish.Truth is I’ve taken the deus,nox,Etrac and every other machine there and struck out also,so I had to get a grip on myself and not be a fool.
So,I kept the 540 and took it to a few sites here and there that were producing in the past.And the vanquish didn’t disappoint,it found some deep wheats and other stuff in areas I’ve taken some really good machines to..I think the coil is too big tho,9x12 on the 540...So I bought the 440 also and the 7x10 Coil On it is a dream.In my opinion it hits just as hard And as deep as the 9x12 on the 540.
My soil here in western pa is very black,Somtimes clay and Somtimes fill.Just a little bit of everything depending on the area..Upfront,aside from a few options I don’t see any performance difference in the 540 and the 440..Both are stable,very deep and separate great.
I saw some videos of nail test with the vanquish..I took the 440 out today,opened up the screen to all metal and the site was plaqued with iron..just a nonstop rumbling of iron coming through the speaker.And then bam,the midtone or hightone..I was pulling nickels ,quarters and pennies at easily 6 to 8 inches with the 440 and 7x10 coil..Amongst a sea of nonstop iron signals with no problems at all.
Halfway through the hunt I ran disc..I rejected everything but nickels,and 17 and up..no problems,machine ran smooth,quite,and still nailed the goods..This thing kills nickels,bouncey 12,13 is always a nickel..solid 12 or 13 is a !!!! shoot.
Balance is great,the adjustable lower rod and armcup make for a sure fit and make swinging as good as it gets.
If anyone has dismissed this machine for any reason you’ve done yourself a disservice..Forget about the price,the 440 or 540 will have most of my machines catching dust for awhile. I’m actually a little stunned because although I like Minelab I’m not they’re biggest fan..I can only speak from my soil,hunting conditions and expectations,but in all honesty the vanquish has met everything I’d expect from any machine regardless of price.
Hope to see some more users out soon,and I will post again when I get more time in.

I am really glad you like the Vanquish models. Your observations and results are very similar to mine. I highly recommend any of these detectors to anyone, especially former Equinox users that just didn't care for the Nox for whatever reason.

I have a couple of old favorite detectors that are going bye bye. That simply cannot compete with the Vanquish and had a much more expensive list price new.

Jeff

I’ve been putting some time on this machine,not a lot but an hour here and there between weather and work.
I bought the 540 and took it to my most unproductive site and expected miracles.I kinda struck out and almost dismissed the vanquish.Truth is I’ve taken the deus,nox,Etrac and every other machine there and struck out also,so I had to get a grip on myself and not be a fool.
So,I kept the 540 and took it to a few sites here and there that were producing in the past.And the vanquish didn’t disappoint,it found some deep wheats and other stuff in areas I’ve taken some really good machines to..I think the coil is too big tho,9x12 on the 540...So I bought the 440 also and the 7x10 Coil On it is a dream.In my opinion it hits just as hard And as deep as the 9x12 on the 540.
My soil here in western pa is very black,Somtimes clay and Somtimes fill.Just a little bit of everything depending on the area..Upfront,aside from a few options I don’t see any performance difference in the 540 and the 440..Both are stable,very deep and separate great.
I saw some videos of nail test with the vanquish..I took the 440 out today,opened up the screen to all metal and the site was plaqued with iron..just a nonstop rumbling of iron coming through the speaker.And then bam,the midtone or hightone..I was pulling nickels ,quarters and pennies at easily 6 to 8 inches with the 440 and 7x10 coil..Amongst a sea of nonstop iron signals with no problems at all.
Halfway through the hunt I ran disc..I rejected everything but nickels,and 17 and up..no problems,machine ran smooth,quite,and still nailed the goods..This thing kills nickels,bouncey 12,13 is always a nickel..solid 12 or 13 is a !!!! shoot.
Balance is great,the adjustable lower rod and armcup make for a sure fit and make swinging as good as it gets.
If anyone has dismissed this machine for any reason you’ve done yourself a disservice..Forget about the price,the 440 or 540 will have most of my machines catching dust for awhile. I’m actually a little stunned because although I like Minelab I’m not they’re biggest fan..I can only speak from my soil,hunting conditions and expectations,but in all honesty the vanquish has met everything I’d expect from any machine regardless of price.
Hope to see some more users out soon,and I will post again when I get more time in.

I am going to sell my recently acquired Simplex+ and get a Vanquish. Don't like the Simplex's tones. not much difference between the different types of targets. Probably would make a good did all machine, but I am not a dig all type of guy. .... yet.

I'm glad your liking the Vanquish, although I'm perplexed why you couldn't jell with the Equinox if your jelling with the Vanquish? You buy and sell a lot of detectors so obviously you have the cash to throw around. Why don't you just buy another Equinox? I can see someone who might be new to detecting buying a Vanquish over a Equinox, but for the life of me can't see why experienced detectorist do. I might say the same thing about the Simplex. I think I would just go with the Anifibio multi unless money was the issue. I can see either the Vanquish or a Simplex maybe as a backup detector if you needed a spare. Everybody has their own motives and that's fine but I just don't get the rationale.

Found this guy tonight on an old homesite iron patch with a Vanquish 340. Its not an Equinox but its close and makes a great backup

Attachments

• 9BD39DF2-083E-4228-8BFD-E4B1200B85B7.jpg
    9BD39DF2-083E-4228-8BFD-E4B1200B85B7.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 800
I'm glad your liking the Vanquish, although I'm perplexed why you couldn't jell with the Equinox if your jelling with the Vanquish? You buy and sell a lot of detectors so obviously you have the cash to throw around. Why don't you just buy another Equinox? I can see someone who might be new to detecting buying a Vanquish over a Equinox, but for the life of me can't see why experienced detectorist do. I might say the same thing about the Simplex. I think I would just go with the Anifibio multi unless money was the issue. I can either the Vanquish or a Simplex maybe as a backup detector if you needed a spare. Everybody has their own motives and that's fine but I just don't get the rationale.

I liked the nox,but there was certain things I didn’t care for..The vanquish just checks off the boxes for me a little better.Both good machines but I’m more turn on and go,and the vanquish fits that a little better..I don’t see much difference between the nox and vanquish,I could be wrong but I just haven’t experienced any performance lost to the vanquish.
There’s a video iffy signals did,showing both are pretty good imo

Last edited:
Trying to post a video iffy signals just made on the nox and vanquish 540 but I’m noble to get it posted for some reason.
On another note, got a short hunt in before dark cause it rained here all day..Not much but there's a old token next to the earing that needs cleaned better.. I personally couldn't be happier with the vanquish.

Attachments

• 20200218_182347.jpg
    20200218_182347.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 754
Last edited:
Hi Longbow62
Since I own the Nox and Vanquish I can tell you without a doubt that the Equinox is a better functioning detector than the Vanquish. Conversely I can also say without a doubt that the ergonomics of the Vanquish are far superior to those of the Equinox. If the Nox had a shaft system option like the Vanquish I would not have needed to spend $150 for aN aftermarket Nox collapsible shaft.

Jeff

I have a bad right shoulder that long hours detecting seems to exacerbate. I have an Etrac and the Nox 800, neither are super comfortable, but I find the Nox easier to swing for hours on end. I pull out the Etrac in select spots, but the Nox most of the time because it can do some things the Etrac can't, especially in trashy spots.

I don't fault anyone for finding a more comfortable detector or one that does not overwhelm them or make them second guess themselves all the time with machine setup.

When i first got the Equinox and put in a nice long beach hunt with it I was up most of the night with a thumping arm. I thought to myself that I must have done something with the scoop and lifting. Nope...It was the detector. I'm glad Minelab came out with a better ergonomic design. Enjoy your Vanquish.

The things I like about the vanquish are really simple..First,I don’t like rechargeable machines.i like to throw a set of batteries in it and just go..And coil selections are perfect. The vanquish is either really light or really well balanced cause I can swing it with no problems during or after the hunt..Foldability is awesome,take it anywhere..Mininal adjustability for maximum performance,this thing just gets the goods..And price,it’s really cheap for all it brings to the table.

Nails

I'm starting to hear that Vanquish users are digging lots of nails that sound like coins. Do they have a machine problem, or does the machine not disc nails very well?

Nox shaft

Hi Longbow62
Since I own the Nox and Vanquish I can tell you without a doubt that the Equinox is a better functioning detector than the Vanquish. Conversely I can also say without a doubt that the ergonomics of the Vanquish are far superior to those of the Equinox. If the Nox had a shaft system option like the Vanquish I would not have needed to spend $150 for aN aftermarket Nox collapsible shaft.

Jeff

Jeff, where did you get the aftermarket Nox shaft? Thanks.

Hi Longbow62

Jeff

Jeff,your comparing a 199 machine to a $650 machine..I can say without a doubt that between the 440 and the 540 that the 540 is definitely better than the 440.
And if the 540 is compared the the equinox 600 there’s not that much difference..Same technology,same numeric readout,etc..The 600 does have the ability to change recovery speed but the vanquish has better coil selection..I’d have a hard time seeing where the equinox 600 is better than the vanquish 540..Not from my experience,I’d say they’re pretty much equal in the plus and minus department

Back
Top Bottom