Nox 800 5 tones or 50

CarsonChris

Elite Member
I’ve become accustomed to using the five tones and park 1 on my Nox. I have been using more of the programs recently and finding more coins in areas I’ve already gone over with 5 tones by using 50 tones. Getting junk signals but picking out high tones in the junk. I’m almost one year in and still learning the equinox.

I'm doing the same, trying to learn the 50 tones. I've got way less time on the NOX than you, still down on the learning curve. But that is ok, I like learning! :D
Can't say 50 has got me more coins yet but I hope it will.

HH!

I switched to 50 tones exclusively on my 600 last June. Didn't really take too long to begin to understand the tones but a while to "master" it. (I'll probably never actually master this machine)
Now, I don't think I would do any other setting for dirt fishing. Beach/water would be different.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I use the nox 600. I have tried 50 tones but my brain goes off the deep end. I use five tones for the dirt and two tones for beach and water.

I’ve been using 50 tones from nearly the start. Came off a Tesoro, so wanted as much audio variation / information as possible.

Just to think about going in the other direction, I sometimes use 2 tones in the dirt (for example, if I'm coin shooting, low is under 10 and high is above 10) if I'm somewhere that has a lot of shallow-medium trash yet anything deep has proven to be worth digging. The single tone can pull the audio together from a single deep target that would otherwise sound broken/sketchy/jumpy in 5 or especially 50 tones. The goal is to stay focused on listening to quieter solid tones. I've pulled handfuls of coins out of areas that were unproductive when I was focused on listening for high tones. What's interesting is that when I go back to 5 or 50 tones my ears feel better trained to pick out those quieter signals.

Just to think about going in the other direction, I sometimes use 2 tones in the dirt (for example, if I'm coin shooting, low is under 10 and high is above 10) if I'm somewhere that has a lot of shallow-medium trash yet anything deep has proven to be worth digging. The single tone can pull the audio together from a single deep target that would otherwise sound broken/sketchy/jumpy in 5 or especially 50 tones. The goal is to stay focused on listening to quieter solid tones. I've pulled handfuls of coins out of areas that were unproductive when I was focused on listening for high tones. What's interesting is that when I go back to 5 or 50 tones my ears feel better trained to pick out those quieter signals.

Interesting. Thank you for this insight. I have a couple sites to try this on.

....finding more coins in areas I’ve already gone over with 5 tones by using 50 tones. Getting junk signals but picking out high tones in the junk....

Absolutely. I've gone back over areas in 50 tones, still Park 1, and picked out more coins by digging some of the the little high tone blips. After all, if it's a place that's producing a good number of coins out in the open, then there MUST be partially masked coins. 50 tones helps you hear them. You'll dig more junk, but that's fine.

I almost feel like 25 tones would be a good option for Park 1 and Field 1 rather than 50. Park 1 has fewer tones than Park 2 because there's just not as much detail/resolution compared to park 2, and that's because park 2 is weighted more on the higher frequencies. Sometimes there's enough info in Park 1 that 5 tones doesn't always communicate as much as it could, yet 50 is overkill.

I find that I like going with 50 tones, but I am accustomed to dealing with the Whites Xlt and having something like 180 tones to deal with lol.

I absolutely love 50 tones on my CTX but for whatever reason it drives me nuts on my Nox. Sensory overload.

Totally how I feel right now. I have a ways to go before the EQX comes completely into view, and I know that, even with 200+ hours. I was hoping it was going to be “another great tool” from Minelab, and it is. Getting to know it well takes time...I’ve got ALOT of hours on my CTX in 4 years and I’m learning all the time. Guys using the original ExplorerXS since it came out will admit they can STILL learn something after 20 years. NOBODY can be an “authority” on the EQX just yet, but we CAN individually know what works for us at this current time. 5 tone is less “confusing” to me, while at the same time perhaps sacrificing a target here and there. I feel that if the EQX had a “Smart Screen” that WATCHING what the cursor was doing would lend usable information to decipher weird signals...

I use 50 tones on all programs although some may differ in ranges and VDI from one to the other. I use the all metal mode most of the time. It causes quite a bit of noise but really helps distinguish good from bad signals.

I have noticed most of the replies to this thread come from AT Pro or AT Max users. I came from 3 years using the AT Pro. Very good machine especially easy to learn to use.

But the Equinox 50 tones seems to be causing a long, long learning curve. I bought my 800 March 2018. Still avoiding 50 tones and I ask myself why?

I think tones are the hardest things to convey to other people especially in the written form. It cannot be done. Unless you are hunting side by side with an experienced Equinox user who is explaining tones to you and you are both swinging over the same buried target with identical modes and settings you just have to figure it out for yourself. But how many of us will have the opportunity to hunt side by side with such an experienced 800 teacher? Probably none of us.

The same goes for Youtube videos. I don't know many Equinox users who make decent Equinox hunt videos that effectively convey the actual sounds clearly. They would almost have to stick their GoPro microphone in the ear phones or directly wired to the Equinox.

So it is a long process that will take years. I know it will take more years for me because I have yet to start on that 50 tones journey.

A few of the guys posting on this thread used Minelab detectors before they picked up the Equinox. I suspect they will have a shorter learning curve than the rest of us.

I just wonder what a total newbie to the hobby and the Equinox is handling this and other Equinox learning issues?

My advice to those newbies as others have said, "Use the appropriate standard mode for your type of hunting and make advanced adjustments in small increments. The Minelab engineers have done a excellent job of assigning default settings for these standard modes on the Equinox."

..........I don't know many Equinox users who make decent Equinox hunt videos that effectively convey the actual sounds clearly. They would almost have to stick their GoPro microphone in the ear phones or directly wired to the Equinox.

I haven't posted any public videos, but I did get some equipment and have been experimenting. The requirements for myself was the ability to clearly hear the audio, but I also wanted to have headphones on, see the screen in the video, capture the discovery of the signal and not just the dig, and be hands free. I bought a used GoPro4 silver because it was the last model to have an inexpensive and unobtrusive external mic adapter. I'm running that adapter to a Y adapter. One microphone in my headphone cup and the other clipped on the camera's chest harness. So, I can hunt without thinking about it if I want. The audio level between the two mics is perfect.

I haven't posted any public videos, but I did get some equipment and have been experimenting. The requirements for myself was the ability to clearly hear the audio, but I also wanted to have headphones on, see the screen in the video, capture the discovery of the signal and not just the dig, and be hands free. I bought a used GoPro4 silver because it was the last model to have an inexpensive and unobtrusive external mic adapter. I'm running that adapter to a Y adapter. One microphone in my headphone cup and the other clipped on the camera's chest harness. So, I can hunt without thinking about it if I want. The audio level between the two mics is perfect.

Let us know when you post some videos. That would help a lot of us especially newbies. I remember reading Cive;sand Andy's books on the Equinox they tried to describe different sounds in their book, but that rarely gets communicated properly since each person describes things differently and there is not cross dictionary between metal detecting tones and unique words that all agree on that accurately describe the tones.

You would have to have such a cross audio and written dictionary to even begin to understand written descriptions of tones. That dictionary does not exist.

As an example, I purchased a Simplex+ recently. I cannot get my head around the sounds of the simplex. They don't really communicate much to me other than there is a target under the coil. Of course the Target ID display gives more info, but I am used to the different Tones of Equinox.

Let us know when you post some videos. That would help a lot of us especially newbies. I remember reading Cive;sand Andy's books on the Equinox they tried to describe different sounds in their book, but that rarely gets communicated properly since each person describes things differently and there is not cross dictionary between metal detecting tones and unique words that all agree on that accurately describe the tones.

You would have to have such a cross audio and written dictionary to even begin to understand written descriptions of tones. That dictionary does not exist.

I agree. A video is worth 1000 words for some of the things we try to convey on here about audio or technique. I've only had the Nox for 1 year, but I took to it right away. I did, and still do, a lot of side by side real target comparisons to the AT Pro. I'd probably find more coins If I didn't fiddle around so much, but that's part of the fun. I believe it's possible to find as many goodies by getting good with the machine rather than just "digging everything" the machine is good enough to tell me about.

Back
Top Bottom