Nox-0 GB vs. Auto GB

There’s a video on a Facebook group where the user is running auto tracking. He puts a silver dollar in the ground at 8” does air testing and it won’t read it. He sent the video in to minelab and they said the auto tracking was the issue.

Hmmm, ive found a couple seated halves at 8"+ using the tracking GB without any problems.

In all if my comparative test trials in my home test coin garden, using zero 0 and pumping for GB, I noticed absolutely no improvement after a GB pump.

Now, if someone were running auto GB and dwelled a over a signal for a whole minute, it can null out the signal entirely.

I stopped all auto ground balancing years ago.

*Depends on what you call "auto."* I call auto, actually has active tracking while detecting, so the GB numbers change. If you are simply pumping for one single, static GB result and you aren't running in actual "active auto GB", you won't null. At least this is how my Whites V3i was.

I use my Nox 800 for gold prospecting, relic hunting and for coins and jewelry in the Rocky Mts and desert Southwest. Contrary to the manual, I ALWAYS do a ground grab instead of leaving it on 0 and have never used the auto tracking ground balance except at salt water beaches. When I’m prospecting I am after tiny targets in mineralized ground. Ground balance numbers are -2 to +7 in my area. Just leaving it on zero 0 in high mineralization makes my 800 very noisy, unstable, and adversely effects the on board pinpoint function by making it continuously sound off as if the entire ground is a target (which it is theoretically).
I want as much control as possible and do a ground grab ground balance often.

Jeff

After realizing I wasn’t ground balancing properly I went back to a location I’ve hunted 10-15 times. The last few times I went there I hunted it with the 6” coil. This time I used the stock coil. One of the areas I’ve repeatedly gone over I ended up pulling a bunch of dimes out of plus a wheat penny. I was surprised how much I pulled out in just this one area. I’m not sure if the auto tracking threw off the Nox’s ability to properly identify signals but I was shocked how much I found today.

The video doesn't account for the auto adjustments incurred while over a decent, wanted signal. It's my opinion that when you linger over a target, the "wanted" ID can be nulled out by auto. It simply ain't as easy as strolling in auto GB, where there aren't open masked targets. You HAVE to linger there, so an auto GB is still balancing out there in real time.

I am glad I started this thread especially if we can learn something. One of the things that bothered me most was just leaving the machine on 0 which by the way I never do. I get GB numbers that can go into the 60's on some sites and that's really a long way from 0. I have to believe it must be better to auto GB especially if your ground is medium to hot.

Auto tracking

I just read that leaving tracking ground balance on can cause a deep signal to be lost as mineralization. If I manually ground balance I get low numbers but leaving it in tracking it goes up into the 40’s because it’s interpreting the iron as ground.

Maybe that's true. I have lost good signals before. I get a 26, 24, deep, and try to pin point it by keep going over it in different directions and it goes away.
MMMmmmmmmmm maybe I will manual GB from now on?
HHeveryone

Ground Balance NOX

I used Auto Tracking mostly because it's so hard to ground balance, because I can never find ground where my NOX is not picking up on something. Try to find clean ground with a NOX, almost impossiable, for me at least.
HH everyone

Ground Balance:

A.. It can be a 'preset' or 'fixed' GB designed with an internal manual adjustment or done in software. In either case, the consumer/user has no control over GB or the effects of an errant GB design.

B.. Manual GB is just that, a control adjustment made by the detector operator to fine-tune the GB to the existing ground mineral environment.

C.. Auto or Automated GB is a temporary method used to pump the search coil toward-and-away from the ground (6" to 1") that allows the detector circuitry to make a GB adjustment instead of the operator manually adjusting the device. (This is NOT Tracking or Auto-Tracking the ground mineral changes.)

D.. Auto-Tracking is a method where the detector is continually reading the ground mineral signal during operation and periodically updating the GB setting for any changes in the terrain's mineral composition.

• Do Not confuse method 'C' and 'D'. They are different.

• Do NOT presume that just because your detector has a Ground Grab ('C') function or a manual (B) function that it is adjusting the GB for all search modes. Many detectors, even upper-end models, have a designed preset GB for the motion-based Discriminate modes and the Auto or Manual GB is simply a feature for the Threshold-based All Metal and Pinpoint functions.

• The Equinox does have a design glitch if you rely on the '0' GB setting in more mineralized environments, especially in the Multi-IQ function. In ALL modes it is best to do either a Manual or Automated GB to eliminate a glitch or falsing behavior, and to gain the best all-around performance from your detector.

• Don't be misled thinking that the Multi-IQ or Noise Cancel are going to be adjusting the Ground Balance for your detector. I've heard or read that too often by people who are confused or incorrectly advised..

Monte

Thanks for your post Monte, I have always used the Auto GB method. I have never relied on leaving the GB set on zero. In my opinion you can certainly find plenty of stuff with the GB set to 0 because I know folks who have used it that way and found plenty of silver coins. GBing just fine tunes the detector to a particular spot versus leaving on 0 which may or may not be close to the actual GB number of the site you are hunting.

Back
Top Bottom