• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Question about Equinox 800 Numbers

-andrew-

Hi all-

Currently a relatively amateur Vaquero user. I'm considering getting an Equinox as I've really enjoyed beach hunting (though it's only for a week or so) but really want something I can stick in the water.

Locally (inland) I'd like to be able to use something in streams and in light rain as well.

Anyway - I get spoofed a lot by junk that rings on the high end like a quarter would, though I can typically judge by the size and "ramp" whether it's a coin or something small. By "ramp", I mean the how quickly the tone gets loud - I find that iron or junk not only seems to be bigger, but gradually gets louder, whereas smaller things like a coin just "beep".

I'm wondering on similarly-sized things, or mixed metals, if the numeric readout on an Equinox is going to reveal more to the story... I like data!

thanks

Hi all-

Currently a relatively amateur Vaquero user. I'm considering getting an Equinox as I've really enjoyed beach hunting (though it's only for a week or so) but really want something I can stick in the water.

Locally (inland) I'd like to be able to use something in streams and in light rain as well.

Anyway - I get spoofed a lot by junk that rings on the high end like a quarter would, though I can typically judge by the size and "ramp" whether it's a coin or something small. By "ramp", I mean the how quickly the tone gets loud - I find that iron or junk not only seems to be bigger, but gradually gets louder, whereas smaller things like a coin just "beep".

I'm wondering on similarly-sized things, or mixed metals, if the numeric readout on an Equinox is going to reveal more to the story... I like data!

thanks

don't expect any magic bullets with the 800. I have been using one since march 2018 and thought it would be the magic answer. That just showed what I didn't know about metal detecting. Now I am starting to hunt in 50 tones to help audio discriminate what is below the coil. but basically in my type of cw relic hunting I will be digging most everything above 11.

when I watch experienced relic hunters on youtube they pretty much dig everything above a certain range and iron objects.

so this may not be much different than your present detector.
if you are near an ocean beach then the 800 is a good choice. if you hunt mine tailings the 800 is a good choice.

I still get fooled a little by a few bottle caps and can slaw pieces but after you get a few hours in on the Equinox, it does get easier to figure out if it's junk or not before you dig. The old tricks of raising the coil a foot or so over the target helps eliminate whole soda cans and swinging the coil in several directions plus comparing tones/numbers helps too. Good luck!

I dig almost all targets if the signal is solid both N - S and E - W. I usually can tell also by the sound and VID if it's a good target but not always. I guess the best advice is " When in doubt, dig it. " Experience and learning your machine is priceless.

As already said.....spend time with the Equinox. Telling good from bad gets easier. Using all metal helps me tell the nails. Bottle caps especially rusted ones are tough because they are round, but switching to single frequency usually helps.

I was using my Nox today and was getting a nice intermittent high with other numbers and noise. I suspected a bottlecap and pushed the iron horseshoe button to check it. Sure enough it went negative number with low tone. I dug anyway and it was a steel bottlecap as I thought.
Quarters sound nice and solid like your Vaquero.

Back
Top Bottom