Road trip DFW TX to South FL - first finds

southof157

Quite recently had to go to South Florida for business. Decided to make it a road trip and planned for a couple of stops (mainly coastal Florida).
Not only would I get to see more of this country, more importantly I'd pick up some MD time along the way. The latter for sure, since I'm a newbie as it comes to the hobby, and so far only have had my backyard for target practice.

Before I went, made sure to check the forums of do's and dont's, where I could or couldn't use or bring the metal detector, and what to look or listen for.
A big thank you to all that put threads and comments/opinions out there, which contributed to a successful road trip.

Overall was a nice trip, despite quite a bit of rain, which I could have gotten at home as well. Saw several other MD folks and chatted with a couple of them.
While MD'ing, some people walking nearby, did come over and chatted for a few moments. Those moments you have to pick to make some jokes too.
For example I'd say it's his or her turn to MD for some time while I'd rest and be an onlooker. Funny how humor will get you friendly faces quicker.
And at the same time, why not get others interested too.

As for opposition or otherwise so to speak, no one told me it wasn't allowed to hunt in certain spots. Then again, I make sure to check/ask at hotels I stayed at, if beaches or areas were public or if there were any private areas. No issue from them at all.

Once back from the trip, sorted through the finds and took some pics. Do have to say I did not take everything I found, home. A lot of trash I dumped at trash cans at/near the sites.
And as you'll see, not all finds were made/picked up by using the detector. I kept an eye on the ground for sea shells or other items.

My very first find was awesome. Simply for the fact it was a little hot wheels race car which I handed off to my son as soon as I got home. That's also the reason why it never made any of the pics. He's playing with it.

Never thought I'd detect a killer whale (beer can) cause I never saw one before up close and personal. A fish hook with partial line was not well hidden, so I'm helping save people's feet.
Someone did give me the shark's teeth, didn't get lucky of my own to spot some on the ground.

But sadly, I can't believe how many people take the pull tabs off and then simply drop them on the ground. Or the caps, or even complete beer/soda cans for that matter.
Some not even completely empty. The barbarians!

Also was surprised that my Garrett ACE 350 lusted so much for foil. Could be the sensitivity that I had it on, but did switch that every so often. Hit a few coins: pennies, dime, quarter.
So that definitely helps distinguish in the sounds the MD makes, vs foil.

Even got a solid hit on a tiny, little, dome shaped cap or figure of some sort.

When I find some more time, will produce some video material. Cause I did take a tiny video camera and recorded during MD'ing. Not only to document MD'ing itself, also for my own (and other's) protection.

thanks for taking the time to read my little story, happy hunting from TX

Attachments

• 70d355.jpg
    70d355.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 200
  • 70d356.jpg
    70d356.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 224
  • 70d357.jpg
    70d357.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 191
  • 70d358.jpg