10x10 ivy ring hunt.. any suggestions?

OneStudPuppy

Forum Supporter
I joined the lostmystuff group some time ago and finally there is a lost item near me. I've emailed back and forth and have a night after work I will be heading to their house. Reported area is 10x10 and ivy...
I forgot to ask what material the ring is made of but not sure if that will really make a difference..
any tips or suggestions to increase odds of finding it ?
Or any recomendations of which machine I should take ?
I was thinking about taking my at pro..
(To see my machine list look at my tag line)
Whites XLT machine is ill and in and will be going in for a full service soon.
Not sure if messed up during shipping or what, just will not ground balance and doesn't identify items right..
so anything other than that in my tag line :)

Thanks ahead of time for any and all replies and input.
As of now I look at it as my way to pay it forward some for all the help and good vibes sent from here, also the deals :)

Last edited:
If this is a recent loss, I would say go with a fairly low sensitivity setting, not much point in hearing everything that's in the ground when you're searching for a target that's going to be on or very near the surface.

Pete

I would think your at pro could locate it easily.Getting it out of old matted ivy roots may be a challenge?
Good Luck.

Great points everyone! :) all duly noted, lower sensitivity was one of the things I was debating and agree no point to hearing any other potential. One target is goal and yea getting out of ivy should be interesting lol..
Looking forward to this challenge. I kinds think if i don't find it I will really question my skills as of this point lol. But I also hope they are 100% sure its in the ivy patch!, is a personal backyard so have that going for us.

Hours away, loaded up my detector and carrot this morning.
Looking forward to this. Sounds like it shouldn't take long.
Of course now that I said that will take forever, Murphy's law lol

Good luck! Keep in mind too, that a lot of times the person who lost it isn't always right with regard to where they lost it!

Good luck! Keep in mind too, that a lot of times the person who lost it isn't always right with regard to where they lost it!

True. We will see lol..
Already tired and having some bad times with bad leg nerves lol..
So will be fun to see how I last lol.

Good luck! I tried about five different times and found no ring so I think I will quit trying to help.
I must be a pirate??

Well I honestly gave it my best shot!
Sadly no find. Found a bottle cap, metal rod, a coax line which was active.
But no ring.. nice people horrible loss conditions though.
Also cleaning my detector of sand under the protector and protector cracked lol..

Attachments

• IMG_2294.jpg
    IMG_2294.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 261
  • IMG_2293.jpg
    IMG_2293.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 254
Most people didn't lose their items where they thought they did. A friend thought that he had lost his ring in his yard and searched for it I don't know how many times. He finally found it across town at some property that he owned there.

If this is a recent loss, I would say go with a fairly low sensitivity setting, not much point in hearing everything that's in the ground when you're searching for a target that's going to be on or very near the surface.

Pete

X2 - if it's recent it'll be near the surface so don't dig anything past of couple of inches until after completing the first grid search. (for those looking for info)

As for your hunt.........bummer you didn't find the ring. I've done the same with no ring find. What hurt my chances was the guy told everyone in the neighborhood, lost in the front drainage ditch, and was an expensive gold ring.

I've had no luck finding a few items where people thought they lost them either. Not going to quit trying though. Someday I will find one

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk

He was sure of the general location. Gave the cats a bath. Was out on his back steps when to shake soapy water off his hands. With the hand shake it flew off, heard it ding as it hit the walkway then unknown direction of travel. Not sure if it was night or what. But the odd terrain upper and lower sections it could have ended up below and having had a gardening service came by the day after..

I even tried a more local scan with my carrot pointer. And skimmed the entire area. Was many targets but all were below the dirt level..

I'll always be willing to try again but it was a bummer to not have the first try end in a win..

Back
Top Bottom