Civil War bullets?

kmad515

Had a chance to hunt on a friend's property with my young son, my friend, and his sons today. When I realized the detector I brought for my friend to use was not working, I knew it would be an interesting trip. It was me in the woods sweeping my detector with 4 kids in tow behind me with shovels. [emoji1] I'd find a signal and do an initial dig. Then as I walked off to find another signal, my young son would take over at the hole with a pin pointer to show his friends how to find the object and have them dig further if necessary. It was quite the sight.

A bunch of trash was found but we did luck out with the following bullets. The area is rich in Civil War with a battlefield barely 2 miles away. Not sure of exactly what they are and not even sure at all if the longer looking item is even a bullet at all. Any ID help is greatly appreciated and as always Happy Hunting!
2c88ea8fecc9f92c9f074a2499731268.jpg
df875a96543abcf02157e8bb695b337a.jpg
3437ca768cb891481a1c3c6c8af262b0.jpg
38a1040f192991cc66a13fa12bed8e5f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Thank you. I knew the skinnier one was unlikely to be Civil War though the white at the end of it appears to be caked on like a patina you'd find on older stuff so it confused me. The other one threw me, as well. It is very heavy like some of the Civil War bullets I have found in the past but size to me indicated a hand gun, maybe .45? And the fact that is has no white patina color, was giving me doubts. It was found in an area that I was told floods a lot so I figured that maybe because of that, if it's old it may not have a patina to it. Thanks for your input.

The pointed one looks to me like a .223/5.56 standard. They are the NATO bullets used in military rifles and such. I have an AR-15 that shoots 5.56 and it looks identical.

The first one seems to have no mantel jacket but lead only? That gives me the idea that it can be older, perhaps up to CW era.

The first one seems to have no mantel jacket but lead only? That gives me the idea that it can be older, perhaps up to CW era.

I believe it is a copper jacketed bullet and the vertical crimp marks is a give away that it is after the civil war.

Thanks Beest. I also notice if you zoom in you can see a ring toward the bottom. It was so muddy and toasted that I didn't notice it when I dug it. I gave it to my friend and his boys to keep so I don't have it anymore to look at it again. I was just trying to get some confirmation as to what type it might be as well as whether or not it could be period or not.

Black tip usually means armor piercing and I think I see the AP core in the rifle bullet.

Back
Top Bottom