Making your own beach scoop

dreadpiratebob

Has anyone ever just purchased a reasonably heavy duty dry goods scoop and drilled holes in it for a beach scoop?

If there's a reason not to do this, I'll purchase a ready-made but it seems that you can make them much cheaper.

Of course I'm a skin flint and a pennypincher but I'm smart enough to know not to do something when someone explains why.

Has anyone ever just purchased a reasonably heavy duty dry goods scoop and drilled holes in it for a beach scoop?

If there's a reason not to do this, I'll purchase a ready-made but it seems that you can make them much cheaper.

Of course I'm a skin flint and a pennypincher but I'm smart enough to know not to do something when someone explains why.
Do a search for beach scoops on this forum and you'll get a hundred reasons (or more) why you should buy a good one instead of making one. There are hours of reading on this subject.

Cliff

I've seen some people on here that have made their own and they look pretty stout. I guess it depends on if you have the time and desire to DIY. Personally I just bought one.

Ok Bob, good idea, there's a thread from this forum with some information here:

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=270228

A pintrest page with some good ideas here:

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/829788300063467102/

An Instructables page here:

https://www.instructables.com/Sandscoop-for-Metal-Detecting/

I would suggest checking out all of these resources, then research the professional scoops for sale as retail products, pay attention to the bracing and reinforcements they show on their products, and incorporate them into yours. Also consider the types of conditions you plan on using yours in when picking out your materials.

Good luck
~Harvey

My friend, I was thinking like you when I joined this forum. I was totally cheapskate (HEY, I'm 13, okay!) and was punished oh so severely by this forum. BUT, I learned my lesson. Went with the cheapo, broke the cheapo. Bought a nice used scoop (from a name brand), crushed rocks with the name brand (the name is T-rex, by the way.)

I wanna make this forum as "good" for you, and scoops here aren't a very friendly subject in general (search up Xtreme scoop fail and read there...)

Josh

Thanks

Thanks for all the useful feedback. I'll be purchasing a scoop.

I'm smart enough to know when I've been given good advice.

cheers

Bob

Thanks for all the useful feedback. I'll be purchasing a scoop.

I'm smart enough to know when I've been given good advice.

cheers

Bob

If you are going to be in the water size matters. I originally had a 5 inch scoop. It was barely adequate for dry sand.

I found it to be totally inadequate for use in the water where you can not see the coil.

So i purchased a larger scoop.

I bought a reasonably good scoop with a long handle for about $100 and it does what i need in wet and dry sand. I think the brand is RTG.

a wider, lighter scoop with a carbon fiber handle would be nice, maybe after i nab my first gold.

But when i want to travel light i bring my plastic hand scoop. Works fine in dry sand and you have to kneel down to use it.

It started life as a $5 animal feed scoop that met up with my cordless drill and a big bit. A plus to being plastic is i can wave the pinpointer over it to find the target.

Back
Top Bottom