• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

"I Can't Drive Twenty Five" Sensitivity.

Martin_V3i

Elite Member
Equinox machine. I've owned two, 600 and 800 for nearly three years, and after reading a post made by someone in another thread stating that he mostly stays at 25 sensitivity.

I can not remember the last hunt or practice with mine, where Sens @ 25 didn't chatter. My machines get unstable around 22-23. I hunt small parks, big parks old schools, and miscellaneous outlaying areas.

Do a lot of y'all with Equinox machines run 25? Is it totally stable? Maybe some chatter is ok, but I always followed the advice of getting entirely stable. My six inch coil gets me most stable, but I still can't run 25 without chatter.

At the salt beach, I can run 22 water contact, 24 wet sand max. Depends on the day.

Equinox machine. I've owned two, 600 and 800 for nearly three years, and after reading a post made by someone in another thread stating that he mostly stays at 25 sensitivity.

I can not remember the last hunt or practice with mine, where Sens @ 25 didn't chatter. My machines get unstable around 22-23. I hunt small parks, big parks old schools, and miscellaneous outlaying areas.

Do a lot of y'all with Equinox machines run 25? Is it totally stable? Maybe some chatter is ok, but I always followed the advice of getting entirely stable. My six inch coil gets me most stable, but I still can't run 25 without chatter.

I only run 24-25 when the ground is fairly clean and (of course) no EMI.

It's worth pointing out that sensitivity and depth aren't the same thing. In fact, running too high of sensitivity in a trashy area will result in missing good medium depth targets.

It's worth pointing out that sensitivity and depth aren't the same thing. In fact, running too high of sensitivity in a trashy area will result in missing good medium depth targets.

Thanks! Someday I am just going to stop the car out in "nowhere BFE" but farm fields for as far as the eye can see, and test for 25 sensitivity. I'm sure I got 25 in the beginning.

My nearness to Dallas might have become even more EMI prone since 5G. It sure doesn't bother the Etrac and Explorer though. I played with both machines in the yard just now and they fly with sens set at 27.

Yep, I am just learning about lower sensitivity in trashy areas. The machine gets like a "deer caught in headlight" when you run sens up, like hunting deep.

Martin v3i I am just learning about lower sensitivity in trashy areas. The machine gets like a "deer caught in headlight" when you run sens up, like hunting deep.

Look at it this way your detector has a set transmit power can't be changed your transmit power is like having your high beams on all the time .
Your blasting those shallow targets the return signal is always going to be higher than your deeper targets regardless of where you set your sensitivity

Raised sensitivity well let you hear deeper targets lower sensitivity you will hear less if sensitivity is to high than the ground itself becomes a signal (TO MUCH SENSITIVITY)

So this deer in the headlights thing is only from your full power transmit signal can't be changed what you can change is what you want to hear sensitivity.

On the ctx there is a gain control 0 to 30 mine is set at 30 i want to hear everything what gain does is make deep targets sound the same as shallow targets giving the same loudness to both shallow and deep targets.

So if a target is masked by shallow targets regardless of high or low sensitivity your not going to hear it with lower sensitivity . Now if we don't have a gain function you may not hear the deeper targets because of the blasted shallow targets .

This deer in the headlights is wrong you have your high beams on all the time your transmit power is fixed the only thing you can do is what you want to hear (sensitivity controls that) .sube

I'm not sure I've ever run 25. I typically run 20-23 depending on EMI and have occasionally run 17-18 in noisy areas.

Let's put something to rest right now. Sensitivity, RULES! "trashy" does not warrant turning down sensitivity. TRASHY, requires going slower! OR higher recovery speed!

I can run 25 on occassion, but even then, maybe for just a few minutes or hours before some sort of EMI starts to intefere.

Most of the time, I can run between 20 and 23, but I usually stay at 20 due to my OCD.

I cant get mine over 14 or it becomes a mess and takes all fun out of the hobby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I run mine at 25 all the time unless there is emi around.
No it's not chattery.

I would think that California would equal to greater EMI as my area, and I can't run 25 anywhere it seems. That makes me wonder if there are indeed Equinox machines that are simply special. It doesn't sound like you have to seek and search for a non-EMI spot, so most likely you still have EMI but can run in it. So far, that sounds like the norm from most of the replies here. I am good for mainly 20, 21 & 22, but that is it for solid stability, and when I get into obvious EMI, I run the teens. Twenty five? Don't remember last, if I ever ran 25 with either of my machines. They were second hand machines. Might be that is why they were sold. A special machine is something to hang on to.

Thanks for all of the replies.

I'm almost always running 22 or lower.

23-25 is too hot in my areas.

I don't have the Nox but can relate with the Impact and V3i. Running too hot is like driving in fog with your high beams on....you can't see jack!:laughing:

I don't have the Nox but can relate with the Impact and V3i. Running too hot is like driving in fog with your high beams on....you can't see jack!:laughing:

I just took my old V3i out where I can't run top setting on the Equinox and had absolutely no instability at 15, anywhere including near my utility lines. 6", 7" and 10" test coins in the ground, with headroom to spare. I also run the 5khz filter so the V3i should be at it's most vulnerable for EMI. I saw "V3i" in your post and had to test it ASAP. Times like these make me miss that machine.

A setting of 15 is the highest sensitivity on the V, unless turning on turbo mode. Just thought I'd add that in for non V3i users. It is also uses a 3 simultaneous frequencies. Multi machine.

Last edited:

I try to run 25 (max) when I can, But alot of times I hunt in high EMI areas so I have to crank it down to around 18 or lower.
My goto park by home, I can run 25 with no EMI or chatter at all.

The last time I was out there was a massive amount of EMI so I did a test, I went through each frequency separately and there was no interference, when i switched back to multi the EMI came back, but the targets I had in multi did not show up in each individual frequency. Not really sure what that proved though..... :signals:

Most of my parks are very trashy. On the 800 have to turn down the sensitivity to the point I am hunting just the 4 -5 " layer where all the trash is. It is because of all the very small bits of metallic trash, especially small bits of can slaw, small pieces of wire and small flakes of rust and other stuff that sounds off but I can rarely find.

I know gold nugget hunters and beach hunters can really use this ability to find very small targets, but for urban trashy park hunters it is a curse.

Back
Top Bottom