New Member from Oklahoma - Seeking advice

Travis798

Hello everyone I'm Travis. I spent a few months about 10 years ago getting into metal detecting, and for various reasons I got out of it and the ACE 250 has just been collecting dust.

I recently bought a house sitting on 4 acres, with an old home foundation on site. While most of my time has been spent in fixing up the house, I couldn't resist breaking out the ACE 250 on my birthday and taking it for a spin. Within minutes, I dug up a 1919 wheat, and then obviously tons of junk.

The yard is full of little slivers of aluminum, mostly from cans that have been repeatedly ran over with lawnmowers for who knows how many years. It's old oilfield country, so there is a lot of old scrap pipe and other little pieces of iron as well.

I'm thinking instead of re-learning the ACE 250, because I know I'll eventually want to upgrade anyway, that I may as well upgrade detectors and learn one once, instead of relearning just to turn around and learn a new one all over again.

I'll soon have much, much more time at home that I have had in many years (More than I'd like to have, pipeline work is in short supply right now) so I'll probably be considering a considerable amount of time in this hobby, so I'm thinking the buy once, cry once philosophy may work here.

While my mind is changing fairly often, and I can easily be swayed if I'm wrong on my thinking in any of this, right now I'm thinking about getting the Equinox 800. I've lost my old Garrett Pro Pointer, and I'm leaning towards replacing it with a carrot, unless there's something better?

My mother took over my Lesche years ago, so I'm also in the market for digging tools. I would rather lean on the real world advice of those of you that do this often, than to try to do my own research and just make a best guess, so I'm wide open on options. a T handle shovel looks like it could really lighten the workload?

Anyway, I know this is really long, but here's my introduction and request for advice. I'm open to answering any questions and I'm open to receiving any and all advice ya'll want to give.

Hello everyone I'm Travis. I spent a few months about 10 years ago getting into metal detecting, and for various reasons I got out of it and the ACE 250 has just been collecting dust.

I recently bought a house sitting on 4 acres, with an old home foundation on site. While most of my time has been spent in fixing up the house, I couldn't resist breaking out the ACE 250 on my birthday and taking it for a spin. Within minutes, I dug up a 1919 wheat, and then obviously tons of junk.

The yard is full of little slivers of aluminum, mostly from cans that have been repeatedly ran over with lawnmowers for who knows how many years. It's old oilfield country, so there is a lot of old scrap pipe and other little pieces of iron as well.

I'm thinking instead of re-learning the ACE 250, because I know I'll eventually want to upgrade anyway, that I may as well upgrade detectors and learn one once, instead of relearning just to turn around and learn a new one all over again.

I'll soon have much, much more time at home that I have had in many years (More than I'd like to have, pipeline work is in short supply right now) so I'll probably be considering a considerable amount of time in this hobby, so I'm thinking the buy once, cry once philosophy may work here.

While my mind is changing fairly often, and I can easily be swayed if I'm wrong on my thinking in any of this, right now I'm thinking about getting the Equinox 800. I've lost my old Garrett Pro Pointer, and I'm leaning towards replacing it with a carrot, unless there's something better?

My mother took over my Lesche years ago, so I'm also in the market for digging tools. I would rather lean on the real world advice of those of you that do this often, than to try to do my own research and just make a best guess, so I'm wide open on options. a T handle shovel looks like it could really lighten the workload?

Anyway, I know this is really long, but here's my introduction and request for advice. I'm open to answering any questions and I'm open to receiving any and all advice ya'll want to give.

Well first, welcome! And yes, the lesche is a very good gardening tool :lol:. I am sure many here will agree with the equinox 800. :D Might be a bit of a jump from an ace, but I'm sure that a member here named GKL (Gary) can help you with those videos.

Looking forward to all your finds!

Josh

Congrats on the 1919 Wheatie ! :thumbsup:

I am happy with my Nox 800 as are many other members with theirs, I'm also happy with my Garrett "carrot" pinpointer.

In case you haven't seen them yet here are some short but very helpful tutorials on the Equinox series I found online that could help you decide if the Nox 800 is for you:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLpymZHu8sv5nwrk34ID53OxszE8fjuDFC

(they cover both the 600 and 800)

Thanks for the welcome guys. I also found an old tin measuring spoon, and I'm sure there's much more to find! I also learned to be careful where the coil is at when you're wearing steel toe boots. It sounds like a coin and that brief excitement turns into such a let down when you realize what just happened.

The sheer amount of junk around is going to drive me crazy, the the potential for good finds will keep me going. I think next to fishing, detecting will be a nice way to pass the time when I'm off work.

Thanks for the welcome guys. I also found an old tin measuring spoon, and I'm sure there's much more to find!

I also learned to be careful where the coil is at when you're wearing steel toe boots. It sounds like a coin and that brief excitement turns into such a let down when you realize what just happened.

The sheer amount of junk around is going to drive me crazy, the the potential for good finds will keep me going. I think next to fishing, detecting will be a nice way to pass the time when I'm off work.

:laughing: After reading about your steel toe boots episode it reminded me of this comic at the link below you should get a good laugh at -

https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?p=3218834#post3218834

We all dig our share of trash, just part of the hobby, but the kid-like expectation of hoping for treasure keeps us going :lol:

Message to King of the Tot Lots....

i was in your neighborhood this week!

my wife is from the Natural State (whatever happened to Land of Opportunity?)
and we went to see her sister in Hot Springs.

highlight of the trip was seeing this sign announcing our arrival in Possum Grape.

despite the sign we could not find the town.

and a message to the nice fellow from Oklahoma who started this thread....

my last name is Madill and the only state in the union with a town named Madill is in Oklahoma, near the shores of Lake Texhoma.

Attachments

• possum.grape.jpg
    possum.grape.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 154
Back
Top Bottom