I guess I'm getting old...

GroundSweeper

Forum Supporter
I lost my Lesche.

Left it at the river (I think). I remember digging up some coins in one area of soft dirt, and then a few days later, went to go hunting and no digger in the pouch. Looked in all the cars, at home etc. Bummer. I lost a pinpointer a year or so ago and the new one is tethered it to my finds pouch. Can't see tethering a Lesche to the pouch.

Thankfully I had a new one as a spare, so I'm good there, but when I check amazon for a new Lesche they've gone up to $50 :wow: LGB??

I think I'm going to look for an alternative digger - maybe the Predator 85, though shipping is killer from them ($17).

Bugger. It was a couple years old and worn down but dang, I feel like a fool leaving it behind. I did go back to the river and looked but no go. Sucks.

I did the same thing this year so picked up a $15 Prospectors Choice digger and got a Nokta one with my legend.

Steve

I would recommend the whites digmaster if you can find one. Super strong! If you have a hard time finding a new hand digger, let me know. I have a few kicking around that I'd be happy to send you pretty cheap. I don't really use the hand diggers, I prefer long handles, where I hunt woods 95% of the time. Also, congrats on surpassing 20k posts man!

Whaat ? Didn't I read a post about you losing you pinpointer a while back.:lol: Just kidding GS. That sucks. It happens to us all. I have lost both my pinpointer and Lesche but fortunately I was able to find them. I did notice my Lesche has worn down quite a bit and probably could use replaced. I replaced my shovel earlier this year. It wasn't cheap but good things seldom are. I hate junk so I guess I'll pay the increase. IMO the only thing tougher than a Lesche is a Digmaster but you can't find them. Good luck. Mark p.s. Congrats on 20,000 +

One good thing about going back and detecting for it is that it is a big target and will give a killer signal. There is a for sure 50 dollar find out there and if there was a for sure 50 dollar silver or gold target out there, most people would detect like crazy to find it. You have an identical Lesche to determine the exact signal they put off and you can notch out the other stuff. Hopefully it will be quick work for you.

I did the same thing this year so picked up a $15 Prospectors Choice digger and got a Nokta one with my legend.

Steve

Nice, the Nokta one looks pretty nice. I'm just mad at myself for the carelessness! But it happens I suppose.

I would recommend the whites digmaster if you can find one. Super strong! If you have a hard time finding a new hand digger, let me know. I have a few kicking around that I'd be happy to send you pretty cheap. I don't really use the hand diggers, I prefer long handles, where I hunt woods 95% of the time. Also, congrats on surpassing 20k posts man!

Thanks for the offer Jeff. I had a spare brand new Lesche (warranty replacement for my first ever Lesche that eventually cracked). So I'm good for now, but I like to have a spare for instances like this :laughing:

Whaat ? Didn't I read a post about you losing you pinpointer a while back.:lol: Just kidding GS. That sucks. It happens to us all. I have lost both my pinpointer and Lesche but fortunately I was able to find them. I did notice my Lesche has worn down quite a bit and probably could use replaced. I replaced my shovel earlier this year. It wasn't cheap but good things seldom are. I hate junk so I guess I'll pay the increase. IMO the only thing tougher than a Lesche is a Digmaster but you can't find them. Good luck. Mark p.s. Congrats on 20,000 +

Yes! I did lose my carrot at the beach a year or so ago :laughing: SOB! That was promptly replaced and tethered to the finds pouch.

One good thing about going back and detecting for it is that it is a big target and will give a killer signal. There is a for sure 50 dollar find out there and if there was a for sure 50 dollar silver or gold target out there, most people would detect like crazy to find it. You have an identical Lesche to determine the exact signal they put off and you can notch out the other stuff. Hopefully it will be quick work for you.

I'm pretty sure it had to have fallen out of my finds pouch or I left it on the surface, and it got picked up in the few days before I could get back there to look when I realized what happened. I may go back again some day but don't expect it to turn up, but who knows!

I had to walk back in the dark earlier this month looking for my Lesche. Luckily I noticed when putting my gear in my truck and I remembered exactly where my last dig was. Still took 20 minutes in the dark in tall grass when I was worn out from the day's heat.

I had to walk back in the dark earlier this month looking for my Lesche. Luckily I noticed when putting my gear in my truck and I remembered exactly where my last dig was. Still took 20 minutes in the dark in tall grass when I was worn out from the day's heat.

Yeah, I'm peeved at myself for not paying attention when I put my gear away, I'm usually pretty observant. Had I noticed at the car, I would have been able to backtrack and find it for sure. I feel a little in disbelief that I hadn't noticed and that the Lesche will show up somewhere in the car or house, but I think that's not going to happen. Just weird.

Don't feel bad, years ago I left my detector [Ace 250] and didn't realize it till the next day, it was gone and I ordered another.

Maybe you did this, but if not, consider engraving something like “IF FOUND, please call 508-765-xxxx” into the Metal of your tools. It could raise the odds of getting it back to 50/50, versus the alternative of 0/0.

Don't feel bad, years ago I left my detector [Ace 250] and didn't realize it till the next day, it was gone and I ordered another.

Ouch!

Maybe you did this, but if not, consider engraving something like “IF FOUND, please call 508-765-xxxx” into the Metal of your tools. It could raise the odds of getting it back to 50/50, versus the alternative of 0/0.

Yeah, great idea, and I actually put labels on my detector, headphones, larger Sampson diggers, even put one curled around the 9v battery of the pinpointed, but not the Lesche for whatever reason! I added a label with my phone number onto the front of the hand guard on the backup Lesche, a few days ago! Worth a shot.

I am pretty sure the pinpointed I lost at the beach had a phone number label inside it too, but I imagine it’s still at that beach buried in sand, perhaps, or whoever found it hasn’t used it or needed to replace the battery yet.

Great idea!

Yesterday? I had a great idea. I bought a pet ID tag off Amazon w/ my name, phone, email and a "Please return TY" line on it. Stainless steel. Will drill a small hole in the Lesche hand guard and bolt it on w/ a small stainless screw and lock nut. Brilliant :cool3:

I'll post some picks/start a new thread once I get it all done. Cost me about 9 bucks probably.

If it makes you feel better, I somehow lost my finds pouch the other day. I was exploring an old ghost town and got back to the car to find it was completely gone! I have no idea how I managed that one since it was clipped around my waist... At least I had only found a bunch of junk before rushing back to beat the failing sunlight.

It's strange. Losing things doesn't make me feel old. Forgetting if I put things down doesn't make me feel old. What makes me feel old is when complete strangers in the grocery store feel the need to look me right in the face and say, "it sucks getting old, huh?".

Lost my hand digger once in the dark. Luckily I recovered it, but after that I put a couple of wraps of reflective tape, works well for at night! :laughing:

Someone mentioned UV light rockhounding as a great parallel hobby. You can get UV reflective tape to really make them pop at night. I have a few friends who do this with their arrow shafts and fletchings so they can find them in the field if they miss the target.

If it makes you feel better, I somehow lost my finds pouch the other day. I was exploring an old ghost town and got back to the car to find it was completely gone! I have no idea how I managed that one since it was clipped around my waist... At least I had only found a bunch of junk before rushing back to beat the failing sunlight.

It's strange. Losing things doesn't make me feel old. Forgetting if I put things down doesn't make me feel old. What makes me feel old is when complete strangers in the grocery store feel the need to look me right in the face and say, "it sucks getting old, huh?".

:laughing::laughing::laughing: Oh man that was a good one :shock:

Bummer on the finds pouch!

I just bolted a pet ID tag onto my Lesche yesterday... for whatever that's worth. Best to just check to make sure it hasn't fallen out or I haven't left it wherever I last dug!

Now THAT is a good idea!:newidea:

Thanks! It can’t hurt!

I used a 1/8” masonry bit, low rpm and some oil. Cut through the heat treated Lesche steel just fine (learned my lesson after burning up 2 regular drill bits and trying a cobalt one that didn’t work either).

Stainless button head cap screw and stainless lock nut and stainless washers…

Attachments

• B409644C-77F1-44A4-AF14-6475EFCB7E43.jpg
    B409644C-77F1-44A4-AF14-6475EFCB7E43.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 260
  • 2EDF40AF-977E-44D3-AD91-54B36499E79C.jpg
    2EDF40AF-977E-44D3-AD91-54B36499E79C.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 264
  • A988F501-C24D-4981-8008-2F72F9805E5C.jpg
    A988F501-C24D-4981-8008-2F72F9805E5C.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 266
Last edited:
Losing my digger or pinpointer is my worst nightmare! One solution might be to tether your Lesche to something on your person. I know some people have their pinpointer on a tether but I haven't seen it done with a digger. You'd probably want the rope to be on the end of the handle so that it doesn't interfere with the digging.

Or for a dumber solution: Put some kind of GPS-enabled thing on or inside of the digger. I know Apple makes AirTags but those are probably too large to be practical.

Losing my digger or pinpointer is my worst nightmare! One solution might be to tether your Lesche to something on your person. I know some people have their pinpointer on a tether but I haven't seen it done with a digger. You'd probably want the rope to be on the end of the handle so that it doesn't interfere with the digging.

Or for a dumber solution: Put some kind of GPS-enabled thing on or inside of the digger. I know Apple makes AirTags but those are probably too large to be practical.

Well I've now lost both! I'm living your worst nightmare thank you very much :laughing:

I tethered my pinpointer and that is working out just fine. I'm not going to tether my digger - that's just too many cords. Nice not to have headphone cords on the Nox (when on land anyway) so 1 tether is plenty. The air tag or Tile tag is not a bad idea but for a $40-50 digger I'm just going to try and work on my cognitive skills to not leave it somewhere again :laughing:

The pet ID tag bolt on dealio cost about $10 all said and done probably and that's alright. I put printed labels on my detector and sampson diggers, cover that in waterproof gorilla tape, who knows....cheap and maybe someone will return them if I leave them somewhere.

The pin pointer I lost at the beach, in a random area of dry sand most likely, is probably still there. I dunno. I'll never know exactly where it was at this point, and it has my phone number inside the battery compartment...same as the replacement one I'm using now.

Back
Top Bottom