• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Vanquish V10 Coil?

Diggndabeeps

Forum Supporter
I just ordered the V10 coil for my Vanquish 540. Thought it might be a nice balance of depth and separation between the V8 and V12. However, I don't see any comments or reviews on this particular size. Has anyone had experience with the V10?

Thanks

I have the Vanquish 440, which comes with the V10 coil by default. I don't own the smaller or the larger coil, but I think you're right that the V10 is the happy medium between the smaller and larger coil. I've had no issues with it, and I don't really have any desire to get the slightly smaller or slightly larger coil. As long as I am not near a power line, I can run full sensitivity with no interference at all. Very stable and quiet when you aren't hovering over a target. I wish Minelab would release a very small coil (like the 6" for the Equinox) for tight spaces/heavy iron.

I think you'll be happy with the V10. Like I said, I don't have experience with the other two coils, but I have seen other forum members say they think the V10 is the ideal coil for the Vanquish.

Last edited:
I have a Vanquish 540 and when I started using it I used the 12" coil. That coil seemed heavy to me so I switched to the 8" which was much better. Soon there after I bought the 10" coil and that is all I use now. The Vanquish is well balanced with the 10" coil.

Thanks Chroma and cwirth. And glad you're happy with the V10. The 12" is a little heavy for me on long hunts and sometimes I find it hard to pick out a small coin signal with the bigger coil. I forgot about the reduced EMI with a smaller coil. I'm pretty sure I'll be glad I spent the money. Thanks again for taking the time to write.

Diggndabeeps: said:
I just ordered the V10 coil for my Vanquish 540. Thought it might be a nice balance of depth and separation between the V8 and V12. However, I don't see any comments or reviews on this particular size. Has anyone had experience with the V10?
Not a lot of field-time yet with the 7X10 DD, but have used the 5X8 DD and 9X12 DD with my former V-540's quite a bit. I just recently acquired a V-540 with all three Minelab coils and have done some comparisons using the V-7X10 DD.

I prefer a smaller-size coil for the bulk of my detecting and have since '68 and the V-540's Pro Pack included the 5X8 DD that worked fine for my needs. Then the 9X12 DD was put to use in wide-open older parks or searching some plowed fields in search for former habitation. It worked quite well but was a slightly heavier coil. Not as bad for me as some folks because I always keep the rod shorter so the coils used are maybe 12" to 18" in front of my lead toe. Those who extend the coil way out in front of them (a bad practice) will end up with a much heavier-feeling outfit.

Honestly, I haven't been too fond of coils larger than maybe 5X9½ for modestly littered sites, but in the last year or so have changed my thinking, at least a little, on coils that are slightly larger. I still do not use a 'standard' 7X11 on a Makro Racer or Nokta FORS Relic, nor a similar-size 11" BiAxial that is slightly wider than 7" on the F-75+ or F-19. Why not? Because I prefer a smaller-size or mid-size coil, and also due to the added weight of those particular coils.

Then in the last few years I acquired a Garrett Apex with a 'standard' coil that is 6X11. A similar front-to-rear length as those standard 11" coils, just slightly narrower. A close measurement of my F-19 'standard' coil is 5X9¾ and my Racer 2 wears their 5X9½. I keep the 5X8 on my V-540 but just checked the mid-size and it measures close to 7X10. So their three coils are 5, 7 or 9 inches wide and 8, 10 and 12 inches in front-to-rear length.

For ME, and remember we are all a wee bit different in our thinking, I have come to like using some mid-size coils for site conditions that are not too trashy, but I still favor coils in that 5X8 size when I do opt for something bigger than a smaller coil. My other detectors keep a 3½X6, an 'OOR', a 5", or a 6" coil mounted pretty much full time, and when conditions favor a mid-size it is the 5X8 on the V-540 or a 5X8 MGC on the F-75

If it is a more open area with less trash to mask targets and allow a better depth, I go to the 5X9½, and now can opt for a semi mid-size 7X10 on the V-540. The coil is a little lighter than some of the similar-size competitor coils, and it mounts and feels comfortable on the Vanquish unit. I think it might work well for me on my V-540 to hunt some of the popular lake and reservoir beaches in my area. A nice blend of coverage as well as depth in the open sandy areas. Maybe not separate as well in the more littered 'blanket' zones as the 5X8, but ought to serve a lot of folks quite well. I'll watch for your reports on that coil for the places you like to hunt.

Monte

Thanks Monte; appreciate the details. I have about four hours on the 10", so far. Pretty happy with it. Found an 1890 Shilling 'Love Token' with it a couple of nights ago. So obviously no complaints.

Last edited:
Diggndabeeps, glad to hear it is working for you and congrats on the find.

My mobility and health issues have limited my hunting, but I did want to try it out and give it some thought. I cane to a conclusion for me. I still like the 5X8 the most for my needs. If I am working an old park with minimal trash and older coins known to be deeper, then I use the 9X12. A nice balance combination for me of all my detectors with bigger coils.

The place for me and the 7X10 is hunting the many fresh-warer beaches at lakes and reservoirs that are near me. It is a lighter-weight coil in that size range and works well for me to get coverage and a little enhanced depth over my 'normal' coil choices.

Monte

Back
Top Bottom