• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

My First Seated

MTJosh

Elite Member
Went back to the 20 acre permission I got. Focused on area where old log house was in late 1880/1890 till 50's. Plenty of trash targets. Couple spoons, button and suspender clip. Then another iffy target (square nails and iron everywhere). Out pops noticable silver disc. I wipe it clean and see ONE DIME. Then flip it over and see it's a seated. My first ever. They are very rare out west. Then notice the date - 1853. My new oldest US coin (previous was 1892 V nickel - oldest ever is 50 BC stater in Europe). I was estatic to say the least.
Continued digging targets. More Henry shells. Then unexpected chinese cash coin. Then another one. Then a broken one. I methodically dug every signal in the surrounding area and acutally found all pieces for it. Research shows these are from emporer Sheng Tsu 1662-1722. Old chinese coins were used into late 1800's and many brought to US. These were my first old chinese coins in Montana. I will be going back over this area again and again to see what other fun items I can find.

Attachments

• 1853 dime.jpg
    1853 dime.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 352
  • 10-2 coins.jpg
    10-2 coins.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 354
  • 10-2.jpg
    10-2.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 340
Some really nice finds there. I love the seateds with the arrows at the date. Those Chinese coins could tell some stories too I’ll bet. Nice job

Man super congrats on the seated dime, and on getting all the pieces to the broken cash coin, I hope to have a post title like this one some day!

Congrats on your first seated silver and oldest coin Josh. My oldest silver is a much younger 1888 seated. Nice save on the cash coins and relics as well. Good luck on your return. Mark

Very nice Josh! As you said, a seated anything coin in Montana is a tuff pull. Those Chinese coins look cool too, and the two whole ones look to be in good shape!

It's a thrill finding your first seated, in over 12 years of detecting I have only found one a 1887 dime in an old park & not in good condition, still looking for the seated quarter. Big congrats.🥳

Thanks everyone. Only took near 10 years of digging targets to finally get a seated. Hope next one is not another 10. Looking forward to getting back out there digging. Thankfully have access to this property for years to come. Just wait till after they cut hay, then back out detecting.

The chances of finding all the pieces for the Chinese coin, are probably, oh, about 0% lol. Well done!

Nice job! I'm still waiting for my first seated liberty coin. Hope that place continues to produce for you.

I join the long line of previous posters, all saying they are looking for their first "Seated whatever". I'm on a piece of ground where that is possible, and beating it to a froth.

Congratulations on a great find!

Back
Top Bottom