Hunting in the eyewall of Ian

DaviDs

Forum Supporter
I hit a few spots between Sebastian and Cocoa during Ian's mayhem. Even with 70 mph gusts, torential rain, and lightning, there were no less than 10 other hunters in every location. With so many people on the beach I battled the waves and took what few signals I heard. The men's ring is unmarked and non-magnetic. The earrings are an ali-baba special. Ho-hum. Maybe next time. =)

Was going to end this post but I'm still in shock at how many folks were hunting in the middle of the storm. 2022 competition is fierce compared to that of storms in 2012. I'm honestly concerned about life safety. These folks were willing to risk it all tog et ahead of competition....and understandably with how fierce competition has become. SMH
5a379364bb64995a15b98d734377fb3e.jpg
1f2d6c2b53aed2d8d8a193a72be55794.jpg
e61fa38989de29d731cddd9e884c347a.jpg
bdd6093d51e7e9f37706c8fdcd0662bb.jpg
4b74df56dc959eb9656d78b9b903c40c.jpg
7a9490e5a7f3786d439de85a50b12d20.jpg

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Makes you wonder who's going to splash $1600 on a manticore. I'm a bit skitish after the Leakquinox.

WOW, now that is competition. I guess I'm lucky to live in a very history rich location with virtually no competition.

IDK about this one David. Your pics defy the description. But you did say inside the eye. Would have been nice to see a few pics of all these other hunters. All I see is a few surfers out catching some small nice waves. I hunt these conditions rather frequently. Nice earring though.

I hit a few spots between Sebastian and Cocoa during Ian's mayhem. Even with 70 mph gusts, torential rain, and lightning, there were no less than 10 other hunters in every location. With so many people on the beach I battled the waves and took what few signals I heard. The men's ring is unmarked and non-magnetic. The earrings are an ali-baba special. Ho-hum. Maybe next time. =)

Was going to end this post but I'm still in shock at how many folks were hunting in the middle of the storm. 2022 competition is fierce compared to that of storms in 2012. I'm honestly concerned about life safety. These folks were willing to risk it all tog et ahead of competition....and understandably with how fierce competition has become. SMH

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Felix will be envious of those crusty worthless pennies... I have hunted with storms... some of my best finds came that way... I know I posted about it years ago during Sandy.. I saw a old signet ring going up and down the slope and I stepped on it then picked it up... wasn't too heavy but gold is gold...

IDK about this one David. Your pics defy the description. But you did say inside the eye. Would have been nice to see a few pics of all these other hunters. All I see is a few surfers out catching some small nice waves. I hunt these conditions rather frequently. Nice earring though.

He is on East Coast it wasn't as bad there... I know Sexton was out hunting the west coast... don't remember who sent me a picture of him hunting an area where wooden stairs were in the air... could have been Felix..

Cfm-ct

Ian isnt done , coming your way , after VA, WVA, PA :shock: STill rain 7 wind here , will get the nd half Sunday , including U :yes: WOW now thats a set of earings David concrats bro . :holycow::dingding:

So a complaint about people being out there while you where out there?
I guess your mad because people beat you to it?

I didn't bring my phone with me during the hunt. The surf photos were from a local photographer that I know. I grabbed them off his site to show what the waves were like. :D

David be careful out there!

Yesterday, we had a rogue wave on South Beach sweep a bunch of people into Government Cut. A few got injured.

Here's the link: https://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local...ople-into-water-at-south-pointe-park/2872524/

Wow!!! I'm not surprised though.

I had a detectorist approach me and ask if I had found a scoop. I was like, "what?" He said he arrived in the early morning and wave knocked him over. During his struggle to get back to shore, he lost his carbon-fiber handled beach scoop.

Never underestimate the power of the sea!

He is on East Coast it wasn't as bad there... I know Sexton was out hunting the west coast... don't remember who sent me a picture of him hunting an area where wooden stairs were in the air... could have been Felix..
Yup. Southwest was crazy. I can't imagine what its like

Ian isnt done , coming your way , after VA, WVA, PA :shock: STill rain 7 wind here , will get the nd half Sunday , including U :yes: WOW now thats a set of earings David concrats bro . :holycow::dingding:
Thanks! Go dust off one of your machines and hit the beach! :yes:

So a complaint about people being out there while you where out there?
I guess your mad because people beat you to it?
Nah, i'm not mad. Lots of folks couldnt make it out. When that happens, they sit around thinking about the possibilities. So, I give a recap. Sometimes there is solace in knowing that when a hurricane passes by, the beaches aren't lined with treasure chests waiting to be plucked from the shore. :D

Those Ali Baba earrings had to make your heart skip for a moment. Glad you found a safe way to get out. Hoping the next few days present better opportunities for those treasure chests!

Had to walk backwards in the wind to detect my way for a bit. Was actually worse before the storm got here than during the storm. Was some scary looking waves my way though. Usually see a bunch of surfers out there. This time only saw one.

Not sure who sent the picture. I did take the picture of the guy detecting and shared it with Felix. I put my phone away and jumped out there with my gear. I found one junk ring the other guy found one gold ring. The beach was closed due to concerns of the pier. They did eventually run us off before I could get to the area I wanted to search.
Headed for another beach ended the day with one silver.

Sexton

Not sure who sent the picture. I did take the picture of the guy detecting and shared it with Felix. I put my phone away and jumped out there with my gear. I found one junk ring the other guy found one gold ring. The beach was closed due to concerns of the pier. They did eventually run us off before I could get to the area I wanted to search.
Headed for another beach ended the day with one silver.

Sexton

My mistake... I read Felix's text to me on facebook wrong....

Same thing happened to us during Sandy they wouldn't allow us on beaches for a couple weeks... but the gold was waiting to be had when they opened them up.... I guess those bulldozer operators don't detect :lol:

Back
Top Bottom