£250000 in gold coins found...

Pete e

Elite Member
Not my be me unfortunately, but the story below was making the rounds recently..

It seems back in 2019, a couple were renovating their old farm house, and lifted the original wooden floor boards in the kitchen.

Literally just underneath, a small earthenware drinking "tankard" stuffed to the rim with old coins..

The really strange thing was that coins were dated over a couple of hundred years so it's puzzling how they came to be stored there...

Due to legal wranglings/processes, the discovery has only now been made public and the coins are due to be sold at auction next month...

https://www.livescience.com/gold-coins-discovered-under-kitchen-floorboards-england

Amazing finds! I suppose it's possible several generations lived in that house never knowing what was right under their feet!

Amazing finds! I suppose it's possible several generations lived in that house never knowing what was right under their feet!

It certainly looks like it...Also the strange thing is that the coins cover about a hundred year time span, so does that mean it was deposited over time by more than one generation?

The coins themselves were actually circulated currency of the day rather than anything a Victorian coin collector might collect..

Also makes you wonder if there are any more caches elsewhere in the house or grounds..

Back
Top Bottom