• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

What to look for in a hunting partner?

Someone who isn't just "partnering" to steal my spots. If my partners show me theirs or I show them mine we don't hunt them unless the other is around. The only exception is if we both work to find a spot or one of us prospects it because the other can't make it. But no sneaking around

I would say -- make friends and then become partners, rather than find someone random to be a partner and hope to become friends.

Its a hard question, but the advice to not poach each others' sites, which is ethically valid, can be problematic.

What if he says, "I've got this secret site that likely has never been detected". I'm like "ok, whatever". We drive up, and it turns out _I've personally_ detected the site twice in the past. If I know about it, so does everyone else. That puts you in a bind, because if you say "I know this site already", or come back on your own, which you have every right to do, then a level of distrust is sewn. This actual scenario has happened to me. Since the site in question was hunted out, in my judgment, I never went back, so it all worked out in practice.

Now, imagine this scenario. My strength is research and finding sites. I feel if I don't know of a good site, I will find it eventually, or just haven't had the time to hit it yet. Now, if he takes you to that site, and its a good site, does he now own it, and you are banned? I don't want to be in that position, especially given I work weird hours and will probably hit sites when others are working.

In any relationship, it only works if there is more value together than separate. So you have to have trust/synergy in finding and hitting sites, or ground rules/boundaries. or just enjoy each others' company and want to hang out afterwards and have a couple of beers while cleaning finds. I had one buddy like that, but we just lived too far away for it to work out.

That is why I say friends first, buddies second.

YMMV of course, but I've so many people who just walk onto my sites when they see me there, or only want to be my buddy to learn how I find and work sites. Never had a nice long-term relationship with a "random hunting buddy".

Others may have, so listen to their comments before mine :)

I don't care if I hunt a toasted park with someone. My biggest problem is finding someone else who also has time to hunt that happens to be the same time as me. Its nice to share finds with people who also share this passion.

Back
Top Bottom