Who here still using there Sovereigns machines for the beach???

Bud-sc

Just wondering. I have the Equinox 800 but it gets very boring digging 25/50 bottles caps so went back to my Sovereign Elite and just got a GT in new condition. Other day swing the Sovereign Elite my buddy swing his Equinox 600 I went back though a area he hunted he missed 5 targets all coins. All over a foot deep!! All were in a 10 foot area.So yeah wondering if I been missing some targets with my Equinox 800. Some of the local hunters thinking that there could be a software issue with some of the Equinox's missing targets it should have hit with no problem. But either way going back to my Sovereign Elite/GT for a while unless there is rain in the forecast then I will take the Equinox.

Oh boy, what a can of worms, haha : Sov vs the 600 or 800 for the beach. Let the fireworks begin.

Ok, I'll start : The Sovereign (esp. with a larger coil, like the 10" or the WOT) is going to exceed the depth of a 600 or 800, ON COIN SIZED TARGETS. I've seen a guy, with the Sov/Wot combo (and sunray meter), for instance, effortlessly get a penny to something like 14" deep. All while accurately calling the TID. There is no way a 600 or 800, even with larger coils, is going to get that depth and TID.

HOWEVER : The 600 or 800 is going to be able to get tiny stuff better (dainty earing, tinsel thin chain, etc...), when set-up in certain ways. And the Sov is not going to be able to get these dainty things.

And then there's simple preferences: Some people find the drawn-out "bbbeeeooonnnggg" sounds of the Sov. to be annoying. Others love it. Just depends. Pro's & Con's.

I really like the BBS family. My first true love was the GT with the WOT. Great, GREAT, set up. I liked it so much, I adopted its twin (i.e. bought a backup GT) and I hang out with it’s Blue waterproof sister. We’ve been together for about seven years.

A few years ago I started playing with the CTX. Slowly, we’ve become best friends. He’s a smart guy. A little complex, but if you listen to what he’s telling you, after a while you begin to comprehend.

I dated the EQ-800 for about six months; fun gal, but not marriage material. She was constantly talking trash and didn’t always tell the truth.

I still get together with the SovWOT once in a while, but but my go-to is the CTX. It’s heavy, but the TID speaks to me and I’m not chasing tiny tinsel.

R5

Sold mine

Took a long time to , most hunting with Equinox , or Excalibur's , down fall with that detector , is not semi water proof , if you drop the Equinox no problem, Sov. toast , good dry sand machine however .

Took a long time to , most hunting with Equinox , or Excalibur's , down fall with that detector , is not semi water proof , if you drop the Equinox no problem, Sov. toast , good dry sand machine however .

True, but I wouldn’t say the GT is strictly a dry sand detector. If you know what you’re doing, you can hunt the white wash.

R5

With

An environmental cover , to keep the head free of salt water , and salt air , that's why the GT's are not selling , Equinox are better to cope , plain & simple , Gt's are out Equinox in , also you can't beat the difference in weight on longer hunt's , with a 15 inch coil on the Equinox and half the weight difference of a GT , adding water proofing , the GTs are antique now .

… also you can't beat the difference in weight on longer hunt's , with a 15 inch coil on the Equinox and half the weight difference of a GT , adding water proofing , the GTs are antique now .

Yeah, the EQ is lighter than the standard Sovereign setup, but serious GT users quickly learn to hip mount the controls. With a $30 homemade CF shaft and the WOT coil, I’m swinging less weight than that EQ.

If people are concerned about it getting wet, then they should buy an Excal. You can chest/hip mount those controls too.

BBS machines aren’t the most modern technology, but they find the goods. Once you learn them, they’re hard to put down.

An environmental cover , to keep the head free of salt water , and salt air , that's why the GT's are not selling , Equinox are better to cope , plain & simple , Gt's are out Equinox in , also you can't beat the difference in weight on longer hunt's , with a 15 inch coil on the Equinox and half the weight difference of a GT , adding water proofing , the GTs are antique now .

Yeah the Equinox is lighter. It does hit on small items harder. I still think the Equinox has issues in the software. I was the first people in SC to get the Equinox 800 and have had gone though 2 of them. BUT at the same time have used the CTX and my Explorer 2. I always go back to the Sovereigns there nothing better than "listening" to the targets than relying on a meter. Plus also have no issues using any wired earbuds or headphones with the Sovereign Elite/GT. No worries about if the wifi boosters are on at the hotels with a Sovereign either. I can take my cellphone on the beach with Sovereign the Equinox have to leave it in the car. In some areas of Myrtle beach it's impossible to hunt with the Equinox because of the wifi boosters are on full max. Not on that but the cell phone towers driver the Equinox crazy. My buddy would complaining the whole hunt while I am digging my butt off.

I really like the BBS family. My first true love was the GT with the WOT. Great, GREAT, set up. I liked it so much, I adopted its twin (i.e. bought a backup GT) and I hang out with it’s Blue waterproof sister. We’ve been together for about seven years.

A few years ago I started playing with the CTX. Slowly, we’ve become best friends. He’s a smart guy. A little complex, but if you listen to what he’s telling you, after a while you begin to comprehend.

I dated the EQ-800 for about six months; fun gal, but not marriage material. She was constantly talking trash and didn’t always tell the truth.

I still get together with the SovWOT once in a while, but but my go-to is the CTX. It’s heavy, but the TID speaks to me and I’m not chasing tiny tinsel.

R5

Well screw you, I was drinking milk when I was reading this thread, now my computer is soaked. That is downright funny! :laughing::laughing:

Now don't mind me as I continue rolling on the floor... :lol:

Josh

Lol

I had fun with my GT and the 10sef coil , however , never had a problem with my Equinox, hits on gold chains nice , with my Carbon Fiber shaft well balanced along with my R& B battery & the 15 coil , still very light ,I find in the wet sand , shallow water , its great , not going to cut up on the GT , however , let me say every dog has it's day , Minelab discontinued the GT , and not many still swing them over the Equinox , CTX3030, and Excalibur's at the beach anymore , Ill swing all summer , and might not see 1 on the beach , happy hunting , Earl

Thank god raider 5 is back with his wonderful humorous writing now can we get mud puppy to chime in

Well screw you, I was drinking milk when I was reading this thread, now my computer is soaked. That is downright funny! :laughing::laughing:

Josh

Far be it from me to make anyone spew milk.

So… tell us; were nostrils involved?

R5

Last edited:

Josh
That was funny!!! I had a good laugh on that one!!!

I always go back to the Sovereigns there nothing better than "listening" to the targets than relying on a meter.

No worries about if the wifi boosters are on at the hotels with a Sovereign either. I can take my cellphone on the beach with Sovereign the Equinox have to leave it in the car.

AMEN! Preach!

Though I’ve moved on to the CTX, I’ve always got the SovWOT at the ready.

R5

I regretted getting rid of my Sov GT, so I picked up Ra1der5's spare machine and I have no problems hunting behind an EQ 800, or any other beach machine for that matter. My original GT was mounted in a watertight box and I hunted waist deep for 3 years without any problems, well except the time I flooded it, but that was user error. Lol

I used the GT at the beach until i got an Xcal. I did not want to get the GT wet but had a problem with the Xcal and while i was trying to get it fixed at the former repair center (it took two trips) i accidentally dunked it. It took over four months to get the GT fixed so it no longer gets to enjoy the beach. But the GT still serves me well on the dirt.

Back
Top Bottom