Found My First Capped Bust Coin and It's a Big One!

That is one of the best coins I’ve seen posted period. The rarity and condition just put it in a class of coins almost none of us will see in the wild. That is true art work on a coin, you should be DAMN proud of that one!

Nice. Bust quarters seem to be more rare than the halves. Any denomination is extremely rare for me.

If I recall correctly, the bust half had the highest mintages of the bust series. So the half should be most common technically. I still haven't found one, only a dime. Been waiting for my big old U.S. silver for about a decade :yes: Congrats on the MINT coin Tim!!!

Wowza! She's got a face that only her mother could love :laughing:... but congrats on an AWESOME find!!!

If I recall correctly, the bust half had the highest mintages of the bust series. So the half should be most common technically. I still haven't found one, only a dime. Been waiting for my big old U.S. silver for about a decade Congrats on the MINT coin Tim!!!

Thanks, Jeff! What makes it really amazing is that it's only my third half dollar (not counting seeded hunts) in eight years of detecting! Only found two Walkers over the years. Never found a Kennedy half, but now I've got a capped bust half under my belt! That's what makes this hobby so much fun. You never know what you're going to dig up next.

You must be aware of my grading system. If not, here you go:

Take off headphones, Backflip, thumbs up, decent, oh no.

I grade this a take-off headphones, reserved for the best of finds.

Any numismatics buffs to take a stab at the grade ? Looks to me like it'd be an easy $400 to $500 coin ? But ... I'm not a numismatist.

no! tom! he's NOT gonna send it to you for examination purposes!
"outrageous" find! even the "cleavage" is sharp!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

I'm a little slow, but I just figured out that this coin is larger than your average half dollar! All half dollars since 1838 are around 30.00mm. This coin measures 32.5 mm! Pretty cool!

Attachments

• F7038998-CC86-4516-AC6C-94E7755E2434.jpg
    F7038998-CC86-4516-AC6C-94E7755E2434.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 132
Back
Top Bottom