• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Slump, dump, clump.

Metal detecto

Elite Member
So, I have been in a slump. I got some of my money and went to the bank with my parental units and I get 16 rolls of halves and skip outside. Seems like someone dumped a bunch of commemorative halves in there. you know, the bicentennial ones. A big DUMP. Then we get a call from the bank, and our favorite teller says that he searched through some of the loose halves and found one dated 1969. (really nice teller) So that's something I'm looking to pick up this weekend. ANd his brother works at another bank right next to him. I traded 3 rolls of halves (the ones I already searched) for a box of pennies and a single roll of dimes. The dimes are all clumped together by this superglue, and I SWEAR I saw a silver edge :mad:. ARGHHHH. :frustrated: I'll go back for some more, but my dump bank is not liking all the halves I'm giving them now.

Josh

P.S. The penny box was actually pretty good with a 1916 d. wheat.

Now that IS a nice teller! Next time something like that happens, bring them a box of donuts! :lol::lol:

KT sometimes comes across a half that has glue on the reverse side, because someone glued it into a Whitman folder, but not a mass of them glued together.

As for those bicentennial halves...they are not commemoratives, just bicentennials. The US Mint made on the order of twice the number of them and at first the general public snapped them up, thinking ....oh, these are special! But later when everyone had rolls of them, they spent and dumped them so KT finds that often 10-20% of many of the boxes He hunts are those darned things. But there are some of them that are silver! Keep your eye out for S mintage, those are proofs, and a limited # of those proofs were silver! Check the edges of any you find.

Now that IS a nice teller! Next time something like that happens, bring them a box of donuts! :lol::lol:

KT sometimes comes across a half that has glue on the reverse side, because someone glued it into a Whitman folder, but not a mass of them glued together.

As for those bicentennial halves...they are not commemoratives, just bicentennials. The US Mint made on the order of twice the number of them and at first the general public snapped them up, thinking ....oh, these are special! But later when everyone had rolls of them, they spent and dumped them so KT finds that often 10-20% of many of the boxes He hunts are those darned things. But there are some of them that are silver! Keep your eye out for S mintage, those are proofs, and a limited # of those proofs were silver! Check the edges of any you find.

First off, he likes cookies. Like those ones with tiny chocolates sprinkled on top. A cookie for a silver! How about that!

I went over them AGAIN today (we had early school dismissal), and found one dated 1987? I'm sure you said something about this. Anything special or am I trying too hard to see the silver lining?

Josh

Good pick up! In 1987 the US Mint decided to cut the production of half dollars, so instead of minting around 10 million annually, they cut it to 2 million. Collectors heard about it and snapped up rolls of them. The General Public apparently bitched that there were not enough to go around...people do like new shiny coins...and the mint in 1988 went back to the 10 million number again. Thus the Govm't created a scarce Kennedy! They did not intend to, but they failed to understand mass psychology...if you make a few...demand goes up. If you make many, making them common, then fewer people want them. :lol::lol:

Glad to hear you got one! KT has only picked up 1 so far this year, and that make it less common than silver in circulation. It is not worth as much as any silver coin, but is less commonly in circulation. KT has a standing offer from a coin collecting friend for $1 for each one He finds, but has not sold any to him....as KT is not desperate for cash.

Good pick up! In 1987 the US Mint decided to cut the production of half dollars, so instead of minting around 10 million annually, they cut it to 2 million. Collectors heard about it and snapped up rolls of them. The General Public apparently bitched that there were not enough to go around...people do like new shiny coins...and the mint in 1988 went back to the 10 million number again. Thus the Govm't created a scarce Kennedy! They did not intend to, but they failed to understand mass psychology...if you make a few...demand goes up. If you make many, making them common, then fewer people want them. :lol::lol:

Glad to hear you got one! KT has only picked up 1 so far this year, and that make it less common than silver in circulation. It is not worth as much as any silver coin, but is less commonly in circulation. KT has a standing offer from a coin collecting friend for $1 for each one He finds, but has not sold any to him....as KT is not desperate for cash.

I knew that you said something. Well, we're on our way to buy some cookies!

Josh

Mom makes the best cookies though ;)

Congrats on the nice saves! :hi5:

Then we get a call from the bank, and our favorite teller says that he searched through some of the loose halves and found one dated 1969. (really nice teller)
That is a nice teller for sure! Always be polite to them, and they will generally be nice in return. Treat them like they're doing you a favor, because even though it is their job, they are going out of their way for you.

At the credit union I CRHed at for a few years, there was a particular teller that was extremely nice. Whenever they got halves in, she would save them for me to get the next time I came in. One of the first times I got all these (except for the nickel, it was in a roll):
picture.php

Congrats on the nice saves! :hi5:

That is a nice teller for sure! Always be polite to them, and they will generally be nice in return. At the credit union I CRHed at for a few years, there was a particular teller that was extremely nice. Whenever they got halves in, she would save them for me to get the next time I came in. One of the first times I got all these (except for the nickel, it was in a roll):

You lucky bastard! GIMME! :sissyfight: What did you give them, cookies, pizza, or donuts? Maybe I'm doing this wrong, what about a huge chocolate-filled cake, huh? Then I'll totally be swimming in silver!

Let's give him this:

Screenshot 2021-05-05 12.43.57 PM.jpg

Back
Top Bottom