Found My First Capped Bust Coin and It's a Big One!

FreeBirdTim

Elite Member
Nice 60 degree day today, but there was a high wind warning in effect. Went in the woods anyway and was rewarded with a bucket lister!

I was detecting a public land trust that's over 100 acres. I've been doing it for three years now and never found ONE coin! But I have found musket balls and flat buttons, so I knew there was potential for an old coin.

Got an 88 signal close to a trail, so I figured probably just a clad quarter. It was about six inches down in a spot full of roots. When I saw the edge of the coin, I knew it was a half dollar and OLD. Carefully brushed off the dirt and the date "1824" was revealed! Yup, it was a capped bust half!

This is my first capped bust coin ever. I skipped right over the half dime, dime and quarter and dug the biggest one! The coin looks pretty sharp as well, so it's a great find. Hasn't been holed and I didn't hit it with my digger. This is also my first silver coin of the year. I was definitely on a losing streak up until today.

Here's a couple of pics. The in situ pic is out of focus because my GoPro takes lousy closeup photos.

Attachments

• G0010737.jpg
    G0010737.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 643
  • 4E922964-3D27-47DB-A092-5D4DC73FB8FA (3).jpg
    4E922964-3D27-47DB-A092-5D4DC73FB8FA (3).jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 625
  • FFB01BA3-3F49-44EF-B1BA-68F871D15198 (2).jpg
    FFB01BA3-3F49-44EF-B1BA-68F871D15198 (2).jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 627
Congratulations on that incredible beauty ! It's good that didn't give up on that area . That's more than a bucket lister that is miraculous . That coin had a lot of buying power back in it's day , someone had to be bummed out losing that ! A profitable find indeed !

Thanks, guys! Sometimes it pays to be stubborn! I've found at least 100 shotgun shells there, so I always figured I was the only one who ever detected it. Very rough terrain with boulders everywhere, though. Really tough on my knees. But it also has endless stone walls to keep me interested in it. Definitely going back there again tomorrow!

Wow that is a stellar coin! It would definitely be the gem of my collection! Way to go working that site so many times despite no prior coins.

Ps... Looking at your signature I see 1700s finds. I cannot comprehend that! You've got quite the collection I reckon.

Any numismatics buffs to take a stab at the grade ? Looks to me like it'd be an easy $400 to $500 coin ? But ... I'm not a numismatist.

That's a sexy bust. Now you're gonna have to work her on down ! Denomination that is...

Nice. Bust quarters seem to be more rare than the halves. Any denomination is extremely rare for me.

Way to go tim! Slammed out of the park! Many will die with out checking that off the list!

Thanks, guys! Sometimes it pays to be stubborn! I've found at least 100 shotgun shells there, so I always figured I was the only one who ever detected it. Very rough terrain with boulders everywhere, though. Really tough on my knees. But it also has endless stone walls to keep me interested in it. Definitely going back there again tomorrow!
Being stubborn always pays off eventually in detecting! Keep it up

Any numismatics buffs to take a stab at the grade ? Looks to me like it'd be an easy $400 to $500 coin ? But ... I'm not a numismatist.

I say a solid XF ( Extra - Fine ) with environmental damage ?

I'd DEFINITELY get that "slabbed" for sure ! :yes:

I'm going to say ..... "?" $200 + "?" :?:

May I suggest NOT attempting to 'clean' any further ...... :shock:

great find!

Thinking back to the 1700's, which seem so long ago, there is still a connection with the 21st century.

President John Tyler was born in 1790 when George Washington was our first.

In the middle of the 1800's John Tyler had a son. That son had a son in the 1920's who is now in his 90's.

So someone who was born in 1790 still has a living grandson on this planet.

So President Tyler may have lost that coin when visiting Rhode Island.

And you could return it to his grandson!

what a great gesture.

here is a little info:

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/29842/president-john-tylers-grandsons-are-still-alive

Back
Top Bottom