• Forum server maintanace tomorrow night.
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Some folks may think a target located and dug not masked, but..

tnsharpshooter

Supporter
Forum Supporter
It could be somewhat. And the detectorist digs the hole and finds no iron/nail. And unknowing doesn’t realize say an iron object was hampering detection somewhat. This would depend on 3 things. How deep the nonferrous target dug was. And how big a diameter hole was dug to recover target. And the size/shape/orientation of the ferrous masker.
Granted sweeping from different directions one direction may yield better/best signal. Still though the actual object causing some masking my not be dug.

Also related here.
A person may dig and miss their target.
And think they pinpointed incorrectly or they mistakenly dug in the wrong place based on where detector sounded off on top of the ground.

Example.
This happened to me yesterday.
Comparing a target located with Deus 2 with 9” coil and a Nokta Makro Legend with 6” coil.
I checked target with both detectors.
Based on spot of detection using both detectors, which detector setup was telling the truth as far as where nonferrous object actually was? Both detector gave nice nonferrous tone btw.
The Legend with smaller coil was. Why?
Due to the fact upon recovering nonferrous object a fence staple (ferrous) was recovered just left of the nonferrous object. Hence the ferrous object caused the Deus 2 (with 3” wider coil) vs Legend to sound off right of target actual location.
I actually marked both spots on the ground where both detector sounded off.

Thought I would share.

May do a video and give some demonstrations.
May help folks speed recoveries and or dig hole in more accurate spot hence less damage say to manicured settings. Lawns, sports fields, etc,

Use of small coils this is not a problem,.
Use of 9-11” coils it can be.

Here’s video I did demonstrating what can happen as far as a person trying to decide where to dig.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Hh_BxhUV3YY

Notice in video above. Person digging where sound was best sweeping/hovering coil, good chance they wouldn’t dig the nail in video. And they might not even realize the nail was there. And good chance it was affecting detecting scenario.

One more video demonstrating using Minelab Equinox 800 with 11” stock coil. This in video would apply to Equinox 600 model also.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=09Zixa39LPs

Last edited:
Based on spot of detection using both detectors, which detector setup was telling the truth as far as where nonferrous object actually was? Both detector gave nice nonferrous tone btw.
The Legend with smaller coil was. Why?

When multiple objects are interacting with the EM-field, the resulting signals add together via the superposition principle. So when two objects are under the coil, the pinpoint feature will indicate the position at which both objects combine signals to create the largest sum of their individual magnitudes.

This is further complicated by the fact that near-field behavior of a Double-D coil is rather non-uniform so changing coil geometry will have unpredictable results for a given target configuration. e.g. comparing a 9" to a 6" DoubleD coil. (Also another reason why these elevated nail demonstrations don't carry much significance.)

A demonstration means little if conducted above ground while looking at your target. How about digging say half your targets from in the ground test or as you say, in the wild.

I did notice you recently turned on a test target. A step in the right direction. I forget what detector you were using.

A demonstration means little if conducted above ground while looking at your target. How about digging say half your targets from in the ground test or as you say, in the wild.

I did notice you recently turned on a test target. A step in the right direction. I forget what detector you were using.

Quite the opposite. A person being able to see setup is better. How would they see under the ground and see relationship of detector behavior as coil is swept around?

A person being able to see nail and or coin (orientation) as far as detector behavior when swept at various places. This helps a person understand better what they indeed may encounter in the wild. Hence when they dig and miss their targets sometimes they’ll understand better.
Real simple.
Very good demos for beginner detectorist.

A pic is worth what? 1000 words.
So what is a video worth?

Or, on a salt beach!

You sure about that..

Try checking a Tarsacci mdt-8000.
It will hit 16” nickel innwet salt sand.
It won’t airtest nowhere near that far on a nickel. Like 3-4” short.

I Need to airtest both my Deus 2 coils and see. I looked at some of dirtfishing tests he did (air) with Deus 1 long time ago.
See what I get with mine.

I may go to 3 different places and see what Inget. Just in case Emi is present at one of the locations.

Last edited:
You sure about that..

Try checking a Tarsacci mdt-8000.
It will hit 16” nickel innwet salt sand.
It won’t airtest nowhere near that far on a nickel. Like 3-4” short.

I Need to airtest both my Deus 2 coils and see. I looked at some of dirtfishing tests he did (air) with Deus 1 long time ago.
See what I get with mine.

I may go to 3 different places and see what Inget. Just in case Emi is present at one of the locations.

I am a big proponent of air testing for baselines of sounds and depth. I know some are not.

Quite frankly I have air tested and used a Tarsacci mdt-8000 for about a month and a half at the salt beach.

I thought the Tarsacci mdt-8000 was an air-test monster, however I could never duplicate that depth here at this beach as in the air. The MDT also failed on idenification at depth.

I have YET to see a detector outperform an air test at a salt beach I have stood on.

That is likely do to the moderate black sand here. I know results are much better on white beaches.

Just so you know, the Deus 2 sucks in black sand too. I was barely able to get mine in a position to function, much less function with any depth. But I will have much more on that in a later posting when I put another week in. In fact the Tarsacci mdt-8000 does black sand better.

I am a big proponent of air testing for baselines of sounds and depth. I know some are not.

Quite frankly I have air tested and used a Tarsacci mdt-8000 for about a month and a half at the salt beach.

I thought the Tarsacci mdt-8000 was an air-test monster, however I could never duplicate that depth here at this beach as in the air. The MDT also failed on idenification at depth.

I have YET to see a detector outperform an air test at a salt beach I have stood on.

That is likely do to the moderate black sand here. I know results are much better on white beaches.

Just so you know, the Deus 2 sucks in black sand too. I was barely able to get mine in a position to function, much less function with any depth. But I will have much more on that in a later posting when I put another week in. In fact the Tarsacci mdt-8000 does black sand better.

If I were to use my time on black sand beaches. I would use PI machine. Now some can’t afford one. Or both a VLF and pi.
Much like gold prospecting. A serious gold prospector ain’t solely using VLF. Simple as that. They would be for lack of a better term. Wasting their time or or using their time spent less efficiently.
I am not a gold prospector. But from everything I have read and understanding pi ops advantage on higher mineral ground these are my thoughts.

If I were to use my time on black sand beaches. I would use PI machine. Now some can’t afford one. Or both a VLF and pi.
Much like gold prospecting. A serious gold prospector ain’t solely using VLF. Simple as that. They would be for lack of a better term. Wasting their time or or using their time spent less efficiently.
I am not a gold prospector. But from everything I have read and understanding pi ops advantage on higher mineral ground these are my thoughts.

So their are trade off's but until someone makes a PI that can distinguish between ferrous and nonferrous, their is NO WAY I am hunting with a PI machine, and neither would you. This is the best example,, look at the gold to trash ratio, very painful. https://www.detectorprospector.com/forums/topic/19258-rare-summer-beach-hunt-extended/#comments

Yesterday in fact, I identified over 50 ferrous targets by NOT digging them, it allowed to do more beach and concentrate for targets that are of worth. In perspective, even if I was lucky to get each target out in a minute that is an extra hour of digging. If the black sand ever got bad enough to stop a VLF here, I would just quit detecting.
More perspective, I would say 50 ferrous/daily is normal for me sometimes up to 100/day. Now equate that to 4-5 times a week. You are talking 5 more hours of hunting time weekly, and 20 more hours monthly to extend my search time. I already know who is going to find more gold! :yes:

Last edited:
So their are trade off's but until someone makes a PI that can distinguish between ferrous and nonferrous, their is NO WAY I am hunting with a PI machine, and neither would you. This is the best example,, look at the gold to trash ratio, very painful. https://www.detectorprospector.com/forums/topic/19258-rare-summer-beach-hunt-extended/#comments

Yesterday in fact, I identified over 50 ferrous targets by NOT digging them, it allowed to do more beach and concentrate for targets that are of worth. In perspective, even if I was lucky to get each target out in a minute that is an extra hour of digging. If the black sand ever got bad enough to stop a VLF here, I would just quit detecting.
More perspective, I would say 50 ferrous/daily is normal for me sometimes up to 100/day. Now equate that to 4-5 times a week. You are talking 5 more hours of hunting time weekly, and 20 more hours monthly to extend my search time. I already know who is going to find more gold! :yes:

Yeah. I already talked about this in beach forum as it relates to Deus 2. And folks bit my head off.
Go figure.
Come to find out some of the folks attacking are infact Cherry pickers at times anyway. By their own admission.
Again go figure.

Yet you will have some who locates a gold ring say hoorah to pi on beach. What they don’t say is how many holes did they dig with with bs at the bottom.

A person may dig and miss their target.
And think they pinpointed incorrectly or they mistakenly dug in the wrong place based on where detector sounded off on top of the ground.

Use of small coils this is not a problem,.
Use of 9-11” coils it can be.

Thanks for the tip.
This happens to me all the time.
Dig a big hole around the targeted spot and still miss it by an inch !!!

A pulse is a great detector to have... you just have to know where to use it... I started with a pulse guys running VLF's could not even hear the gold I was bringing up... I have spots no way will I use a pulse there but I also have spots that are free of most ferrous targets or they are big and easy to distinguish by a pulse hunter...

Back
Top Bottom