Where to find silver and old coins in parks!

detectorben

Elite Member
In my latest video I discuss where I find silver and old coins in parks and public areas. Hopefully this information will be useful especially to those newer to detecting.

I also hoped this might start a conversation here and other members can share their thoughts and experiences. This could be helpful to all detectorists. As I'm sure there are some areas or factors that we all missed when hunting parks and looking for that ever more elusive silver! Hope you all enjoy and I look forward to hearing others thoughts here.

https://youtu.be/6x5k9YQSbR4

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

A nice video, thanks.

I thought location # 3 (top and bottom of hills) was a clever piece of advice.

When I go to parks, one of the first places I hunt are around benches and concession stands (many of my parks have ball fields).

A nice video, thanks.

I thought location # 3 (top and bottom of hills) was a clever piece of advice.

When I go to parks, one of the first places I hunt are around benches and concession stands (many of my parks have ball fields).
Thanks!

Those are great places as well. Most parks around here have ballparks as well but they are off limits for the most part. There are a few we can hunt during off season and I have found some great coins there. I do hit the perimeter of the ball fields as well as concession stands if they have them and have had some luck there as well.

Your location #3, tops and bottoms of hills have usually been hit hard. I focus on the sides of steep hills as well. Hard to detect and people tend to shy away from them. I got this haul out of one small hole on the side of a steep hill that was hard to walk on a couple of days ago.

Steve

Attachments

• IMG_2435.jpg
    IMG_2435.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 316
Excellent video Ben. Here are a few more ideas

1) Around basketball courts. I know most of these will be newer so you won't be necessarily looking for old silver. However, they are ripe with clad and jewelry. A ring lovers paradise.

2) If you can gain access to old maps/photos, find where the grandstand/pavillion was that housed the old time bands/singers. People would often picnic on blankets while listening to the music.

Great video Ben! In our parks ( which are old) I find coins way at the very edges on the mowed parts, most of my deepest and oldest coins come from those areas. I find a lot of wheats in the common areas but have yet to find a silver coin there.

As a newbie, I enjoyed your video very much. All the spots make sense, but it’s great reinforcement. Thanks for posting it!

Your location #3, tops and bottoms of hills have usually been hit hard. I focus on the sides of steep hills as well. Hard to detect and people tend to shy away from them. I got this haul out of one small hole on the side of a steep hill that was hard to walk on a couple of days ago.

Steve

I think someone in my area beat me to the steep slopes. I figured most older detectorists would avoid the steep areas as well but I haven't had much luck on them.

Excellent video Ben. Here are a few more ideas

1) Around basketball courts. I know most of these will be newer so you won't be necessarily looking for old silver. However, they are ripe with clad and jewelry. A ring lovers paradise.

2) If you can gain access to old maps/photos, find where the grandstand/pavillion was that housed the old time bands/singers. People would often picnic on blankets while listening to the music.

Thanks!

More great places to find goodies thanks!

Great video Ben! In our parks ( which are old) I find coins way at the very edges on the mowed parts, most of my deepest and oldest coins come from those areas. I find a lot of wheats in the common areas but have yet to find a silver coin there.

Thanks Woody!

Most of our parks here are smaller and mowed from end to end so I don't have many of those areas. I will keep my eye open when I travel to other towns though. Thanks for the tip.

Great video. I think a lot of detectorists will find your tips very helpful.

Thanks I hope so.

As a newbie, I enjoyed your video very much. All the spots make sense, but it’s great reinforcement. Thanks for posting it!

Thanks for the feedback!

Great Video

Great video. Most people do not recognize the holes as rotten stumps from old trees that have been cut down. Thanks for making the video.

Always thought the bottom of hills where there is a lot of water run off. I think someone dropped a coin and it rained so hard that it washed all the way to the bottom of the hill. I’ve found a few good coins using this method and also the woods sometimes back in the day it might not have been woods you know could of been in old playground. Or just detect along side the wood line if it’s not to high or to brushy to get in there with a detector. But those are some good spots.

Back
Top Bottom