Coiltek availability

jl1252

Elite Member
I know the new Coiltek coils for the Equinox are unobtainable at the moment because Coiltek cant keep up with the demand. For those who have recently gotten their hands on one by pre-ordering, how long did the process take?

I know the new Coiltek coils for the Equinox are unobtainable at the moment because Coiltek cant keep up with the demand. For those who have recently gotten their hands on one by pre-ordering, how long did the process take?
I pre ordered mine back in February. Tried multiple local dealers and had no luck. They currently don't even have an idea or eta. I decided last week to cancel my pre-orders and purchased from UK dealer. Had my 5x10 coil in less than a week.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

I pre ordered mine back in February. Tried multiple local dealers and had no luck. They currently don't even have an idea or eta. I decided last week to cancel my pre-orders and purchased from UK dealer. Had my 5x10 coil in less than a week.

Can you shoot me a PM with the UK dealer info, please? The UK dealers I looked at charged 20% VAT + shipping which made the price outrageous.

Last edited:
I’m in the same boat as detectorben - I preordered mine on February 3 with a forum sponsor, launch date was March 3, and I’m still waiting on mine. Detectorben and I are not in the minority, either. So counting from launch, as far as I can tell, the wait time is at least 14+ weeks for US customers. And I’m pretty sure that wait time is only growing, not shrinking right now.

US dealers don’t have any info on estimated availability. Coiltek’s own website has only one official statement about the delays, but it hasn’t been updated in over two months. It says “current delays can be up to 6-8 weeks”. Given that many US customers have been waiting over double that time, I’m not overly optimistic that I’ll see mine anytime soon. I’ll be surprised to see it before the fall field season.

I guess I was lucky. I pre ordered from Phil Myers in Feb and received mine mid-April. I did read somewhere there is a chip shortage or at least thats what they are saying. I will say I'm am quite happy with its performance so far. Good luck, Mark

Has anyone done a depth test in a actual coin garden. How about separation/unmasking ability. I watched an air test video 10x5 vs. the 6" and the coil tech did not beat the 6" by much at all. I am definitely holding off until I see more reports. The only plus I see so far is being able to cover more ground.

P.S. I am not crazy about the Minelab 6". I use it some and will keep it, but honestly it's never impressed me.

Has anyone done a depth test in a actual coin garden. How about separation/unmasking ability. I watched an air test video 10x5 vs. the 6" and the coil tech did not beat the 6" by much at all. I am definitely holding off until I see more reports. The only plus I see so far is being able to cover more ground.

P.S. I am not crazy about the Minelab 6". I use it some and will keep it, but honestly it's never impressed me.
I have run the 5x10 through my test garden. It performed very well hitting all targets pretty cleanly. My soil and EMI is killer in my yard so most coils struggle to hit anything deeper than 6". I have been field testing it as well and so far I'm pretty happy with it. I found an 8" wheat penny today with it. That is the deepest target I have dug. I found 2 mercs and 5 wheats total in pretty trashy parks. It seems to separate as well as the 6" coil from what I have seen so far. I dug a few nails that sounded like great coin signals today so I need to see if that is a settings issue or something else. I still need to do a lot more testing but it looks promising so far.

I will point out that I love the 6" round coil and I use it a lot in parks and yards. If you don't like or use the 6" much this 5x10 may not be a coil you will like.

Thanks guys for the replies. I guess i will wait til supply catches up with demand stateside, as I cannot justify the added cost of ordering from the UK.

Detectorben, how does the 10x5 compare to the 6" in terms of deep, bent, rusty nails?

Thanks guys for the replies. I guess i will wait til supply catches up with demand stateside, as I cannot justify the added cost of ordering from the UK.

Detectorben, how does the 10x5 compare to the 6" in terms of deep, bent, rusty nails?
I have dug a few beautiful sounding nails with the 5x10 so far. I don't think coil choice makes a difference as far as falsing on bent rust nails. I think that is just one of the pitfalls of SMF unfortunately. To be fair most single frequency machines struggle with bent rust nails as well.

I have run the 5x10 through my test garden. It performed very well hitting all targets pretty cleanly. My soil and EMI is killer in my yard so most coils struggle to hit anything deeper than 6". I have been field testing it as well and so far I'm pretty happy with it. I found an 8" wheat penny today with it. That is the deepest target I have dug. I found 2 mercs and 5 wheats total in pretty trashy parks. It seems to separate as well as the 6" coil from what I have seen so far. I dug a few nails that sounded like great coin signals today so I need to see if that is a settings issue or something else. I still need to do a lot more testing but it looks promising so far.

I will point out that I love the 6" round coil and I use it a lot in parks and yards. If you don't like or use the 6" much this 5x10 may not be a coil you will like.

I have found other than the obvious size difference with the 6" being able to get in tighter spots it did not offer much in the way of added separation. A lot of silver where I am would be at the edge of the 6" hitting. Some I find with the 11" no way could the 6" get. Depending on the situation I'm sure the 6" might hit on some targets the 11" wouldn't, but due to it's extreme small size you need to have a completely different mindset while swinging the 6" being very meticulous with your swing. Therefore I find it not being very enjoyable to use. Also and it may just be me, but it seems like the 6" falses even more on nails than the 11" does?

I run f2 0 most of the time. In trash iron or modern where you would use the 6" coil Recovery 6. Sensitivity 20 and above. Park1-2 most of the time.

If you have any preferred settings that are much different than mine I would like to know them. Thanks.

I have found other than the obvious size difference with the 6" being able to get in tighter spots it did not offer much in the way of added separation. A lot of silver where I am would be at the edge of the 6" hitting. Some I find with the 11" no way could the 6" get. Depending on the situation I'm sure the 6" might hit on some targets the 11" wouldn't, but due to it's extreme small size you need to have a completely different mindset while swinging the 6" being very meticulous with your swing. Therefore I find it not being very enjoyable to use. Also and it may just be me, but it seems like the 6" falses even more on nails than the 11" does?

I run f2 0 most of the time. In trash iron or modern where you would use the 6" coil Recovery 6. Sensitivity 20 and above. Park1-2 most of the time.

If you have any preferred settings that are much different than mine I would like to know them. Thanks.
Those settings are pretty much equal to mine. Where the 6" really shines for me is along sidewalks. I have gone over my sidewalks in local parks from both directions with 11" coil then followed up with 6" coil and found silver along most of them. That trashy area just masks a lot of shallow silver that 11" just won't see. I like using 6" coil in yards too as most silver I find in yards is 6" deep or less and yards tend to be trashy. It doesn't take long to detect most yards either so the smaller coverage doesn't bother me.

As far as the falsing on nails I haven't noticed a difference personally. I get falsing on nails with stock coil and 6" fairly often. The coiltek 5x10 I am using know has the same issue. I think that is just a pitfall of SMF as I stated in another thread. All detectors will false on nails in certain situations but SMF seems to struggle with it more than normal. The apex was absolutely terrible when it comes to falsing on nails in MF mode.

Longbow let me say the 6in, and 10x5 do seem to make nails and other small rusty iron sound pretty good. Ben said maybe a glitch in the Multi -freq and not necessarily the particular coil. Possibly. And I agree with you when it comes to the 6in. that you need to be way more attentive to your swing and the speed. Although not killing on silver this year I have found probably 90% with either the 6in. or the 10x5. I don't feel hampered by its size (10x5) as I overlap each swing. And do a Crazy Ivan from time to time. (checking both sides and behind me. ) Now the reason for my reply, you be the judge. This morning I went next door. A property I have been over with every detector, new coil, or new setting since I started. My first signal was a good tone, not perfect but still a coin tone, jumpy #s in the twenties. Carrot said not too deep. First out a rusty nail, gotta be more, another rusty nail. and then a third one. Scan with 800 and get a really nice high tone and a 44 wheatie. This hole was not 4in. in diameter and maybe 3-4 inch. deep. Left my phone on my back porch so I walked back over just to take a pic for you. You ask about separation and masking and I think this is a pretty good real world example of the 10x5 doing a good job. This was a quick 2 hr. hunt and I did find another wheat, a 64 nickel and a cool little roadster. I won't be taking that coil off anytime soon. Like I said , you be the judge. Hope this helps a little. Matk

Attachments

• 20210614_103356-1.jpg
    20210614_103356-1.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 180
  • 20210614_124924.jpg
    20210614_124924.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 175
Longbow let me say the 6in, and 10x5 do seem to make nails and other small rusty iron sound pretty good. Ben said maybe a glitch in the Multi -freq and not necessarily the particular coil. Possibly. And I agree with you when it comes to the 6in. that you need to be way more attentive to your swing and the speed. Although not killing on silver this year I have found probably 90% with either the 6in. or the 10x5. I don't feel hampered by its size (10x5) as I overlap each swing. And do a Crazy Ivan from time to time. (checking both sides and behind me. ) Now the reason for my reply, you be the judge. This morning I went next door. A property I have been over with every detector, new coil, or new setting since I started. My first signal was a good tone, not perfect but still a coin tone, jumpy #s in the twenties. Carrot said not too deep. First out a rusty nail, gotta be more, another rusty nail. and then a third one. Scan with 800 and get a really nice high tone and a 44 wheatie. This hole was not 4in. in diameter and maybe 3-4 inch. deep. Left my phone on my back porch so I walked back over just to take a pic for you. You ask about separation and masking and I think this is a pretty good real world example of the 10x5 doing a good job. This was a quick 2 hr. hunt and I did find another wheat, a 64 nickel and a cool little roadster. I won't be taking that coil off anytime soon. Like I said , you be the judge. Hope this helps a little. Matk
Good to hear about your experience Mark. I haven't had that "ah ha" moment with the 5x10 yet but so far I am pleased with its performance.

Back
Top Bottom