New Ace 350 and having issues. HELP!

Tab-Star

I put this out to all the gurus in here. I bought a new Ace 350 yesterday. Today was first test run and I'm a little disappointed. All it seems to find are bottle caps. I get a strong consistent signal, it doesn't jump at all. I even ran it on zero discrimination to make sure it only rings at 10/25 and its always a dam cap. How do I get around this. I have brought the sensitivity down and it still gets 'em. I'm only a couple months into the hobby and still learning so I'm fairly sure its me. At least I'm finding them at 7-8 inches. deeper than my bounty hunter ever found them at.

Any advice is helpful

It is still speaking a foreign language that you have to put in a little more time to learn, I would think.
If you are digging high tone coins and you are getting a ton of bottle caps, well, welcome to the club.
Aluminum caps look and sound like coins to most detectors, and it looks like you are hunting an area with a lot of them.
There are other things buried there, and there are other areas to hunt so just keep plugging and dig as many signals as you can from the high tones down to the low ones and the language will become clearer as you learn and you will start to be able to tell the difference in a lot of these signals as you get better.
It is really the only way to learn.
Patience and experience = much less frustration.
One day is not enough time, keep going and digging and learning.
Better times are just around the corner.

I am not sure there is a detector that can tell a difference 100% of the time. I do know the ATPRO has the iron audio ability that allows you to tell 60% of the time whether it is a cap or not.

I still get fooled, but most of the time I can tell. I dont have any time on the 350 to help...sorry. I cant tell a difference with my bh202...I have to dig them all.

I had the 350, and like most detectors, bottle caps are the same size and shape as a quarter. so you will dig lots of bottle caps. do the bench test with coins, and bottle caps and pull tabs,

pull tabs = nickels = gold rings all ring at the same spot.

I don't think there is anything wrong with your machine. I had a softball feild I would hunt and find 100s of bottle caps, they always sounded like quarters....

they use to drink alot at the softball games...

This may help. I used this method when I had a 350 (which I now wish I had kept) What you have to do when you are over a target and it reads coin and the bell tone is a nice clear tone, put in the ZERO mode, start swing over the target and then start dragging it back to the toe of the coil. If it is a bottle cap it will stop in a LOW TONE and the ID will also read IRON. Sometimes if the bottle cap is smashed, you may have to use the back of the coil and the front of the coil and the ID will also read IRON and Low Tone. Now being in the ZERO mode you have to keep in mind that you could also be hitting more iron targets in the ground that causes it to go into the Iron Tone. This is the reason to swing it all the way to the front of the coil and the back of the coil, and may be a good thing to turn 90 degrees and re-check the target again. Do this in the hunting mode and NOT the Pinpoint mode. It takes some practice and it still will fool you sometime, but I found that it works fairly well. I dug a few every now and the just to check. If you get really frustrated and want to get rid of the 350 give "choot" me a PM. Ron

Last edited:
This may help. I used this method when I had a 350 (which I now wish I had kept) What you have to do when you are over a target and it reads coin and the bell tone is a nice clear tone, put in the ZERO mode, start swing over the target and then start dragging it back to the toe of the coil. If it is a bottle cap it will stop in a LOW TONE and the ID will also read IRON. Sometimes if the bottle cap is smashed, you may have to use the back of the coil and the front of the coil and the ID will also read IRON and Low Tone. Now being in the ZERO mode you have to keep in mind that you could also be hitting more iron targets in the ground that causes it to go into the Iron Tone. This is the reason to swing it all the way to the front of the coil and the back of the coil, and may be a good thing to turn 90 degrees and re-check the target again. Do this in the hunting mode and NOT the Pinpoint mode. It takes some practice and it still will fool you sometime, but I found that it works fairly well. I dug a few every now and the just to check. If you get really frustrated and want to get rid of the 350 give "choot" me a PM. Ron

you are right, give it a wiggle till it drops off the toe of the coil if it changes tone more than likely a bottle cap. I like my 350 alot and Im sure there is better out there if you want to spend more money.

This sounds like a good plan. I will definately try this next time I'm out. Thanks to everyone for your help.

I know on the 250 the caps and other aluminum trash sounds too good to be true. Will show a 4 - 6" depth and an overload or extremely strong signal for the depth. I still dig them though. :lol:

Last edited:
I have a question regarding the pinpoint feature of the 350. When I hit an object, I go to pinpoint to narrow the dig. The issue is that when using pinpoint, it seems that in one direction, this works great. Max indicators for a narrow field when swinging right to left. The issue is that when I try to swing front to back, I get full indicators for about 18-24 inches. I then turn 90 degrees and start the process again with the same results. Is this normal? It's like I do it twice, the initial hit then pinpoint with perpendicular swings the try and find the "center" of the 18-24" "X" of indicators.

See sketch below for illustration:
pinpoint.jpg

I have a question regarding the pinpoint feature of the 350. When I hit an object, I go to pinpoint to narrow the dig. The issue is that when using pinpoint, it seems that in one direction, this works great. Max indicators for a narrow field when swinging right to left. The issue is that when I try to swing front to back, I get full indicators for about 18-24 inches. I then turn 90 degrees and start the process again with the same results. Is this normal? It's like I do it twice, the initial hit then pinpoint with perpendicular swings the try and find the "center" of the 18-24" "X" of indicators.

See sketch below for illustration:
pinpoint.jpg

Mine will do that sometimes. Mainly on junk. the good targets always seem to pinpoint. unless junk is around the good target. The tone should stop as the target is just in front or behind the coil. Unless as stated above in most cases

I have been having fun picking out certain signals amongst the junk lately. It is not easy with the standard coil.

You can use the point where the signal drops off sharply or when it disappears completely as a reference point to further narrow down the target location and to see the approximate size of the object. If it is the general size and shape of a crushed beer can and it reads as a dime, then it is not likely to be big dime.

Try not using the pin pointer on the 350. With the DD coil all you have to do when you locate a target is narrow your swing to about 8 inches total. mark where it beeps and then turn 90 degrees and do the same. If you locate a target and it says a dime at 8" and you hit it with the pinpoit and it says 2 inches then it is a larger deep item (usually a can). Whenever you do use the pinpointer move the coil off the target before pushing the button and remember to check it one way then let off the button and check it the other direction. For some reason they don't like to have the pinpoint button held for very long. HH Tom

After logging about 5 hours on the machine I am finally getting more clad than beer caps! I'm very happy about this. I finally realized that when its trash the depth jumps all over.

As far as pinpointing on mine it seems to work really well on good targets. When moving forward it drops off right behind where the shaft meets the coil but when moving backward it drops off at the front tip of the coil. I have had the strange issue your talking about a couple times but it was usually junk although one time it only did it in one direction which turned out to be a lawn mower blade about 5 inches down. Good luck hope you figure it out.

Sounds like a location problem to me... Find old locations to hunt that are just open fields now/or old home sites... if you are hunting a park where people drink every weekend, it's going to be painful.

Skipping signals that jump around on depth from different directions could be a mistake, it could be a shallow bottlecap over a deep silver coin.

Digging bottlecaps and pulltabs is a big part of the hobby, if you don't want to pass over any gold...

Sounds like a location problem to me... Find old locations to hunt that are just open fields now/or old home sites... if you are hunting a park where people drink every weekend, it's going to be painful.

Skipping signals that jump around on depth from different directions could be a mistake, it could be a shallow bottlecap over a deep silver coin.

Digging bottlecaps and pulltabs is a big part of the hobby, if you don't want to pass over any gold...

Not digging bottle caps is where the AT pro shines

Back
Top Bottom